[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fuck bilinear scaling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: serveimage.jpg (6KB, 300x168px)
serveimage.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
Friendly reminder that we still cant buy a 4k screen for work, browsing etc and do vidya in cheap 1080p, because it looks like shit and all just because of the incompetency of AMD, nvidia and every single screen manufacturer unable to provide Integer scaling (the most trivial of all scaling methods)

http://tanalin.com/en/articles/lossless-scaling/
>>
>>61693119
4K is a meme, how old are you 15?
>>
Who needs scaling at all?
CRT > everything
>>
>>61693142
Browsing and Programming is glorious in 4K.
>>
>>61693184
>glorious
>>
The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.
>>
File: gross.jpg (43KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
gross.jpg
43KB, 450x450px
>>61693119
>suggesting the use of nearest neighbor for video playback
>>
>>61694473
You dont understand the Problem.
Nearest neighbor is perfect for 1080p on a 4K screen. And it looks better than any other scaler. Of course this only holds for Integer ratios.
>>
>>61694473
If it's an integer scale, absolutely.
>>
>>61694582
I do understand the problem quite well actually. You can do better than nearest neighbor if you know something about the source material.
>>
>>61694659
And what would this be?
Nearest neighbor on Integer scale is pixel perfect. If the Integer is 2 you just output the same color of 1 Pixel on 4 of the upscaled ones. It is like outputting the source on a native resolution screen. How do want to do better than native with a scaler?
>>
>>61693119
>When scaling, each logical pixel could be displayed as a square group of integer (2×2, 3×3) number of physical pixels of the same color with the resulting image centered on the screen.
that's nearest neighbour interpolation
it will make your image look pixelated

you should stay further away from the screen if interpolation blurryness bothers you
>>
>>61693119
>because it looks like shit and all just because of the incompetency of AMD, nvidia and every single screen manufacturer unable to provide Integer scaling
I never had a problem with halving my LCD resolution with GPU scaling and preserving quality (also listed under potential solution section there). What are you ranting about, dumbass?
>>
>>61694803
This has been talked about and studied a lot in the past ten years. You can find boat loads of scholarly articles on neural net based image scalers. The only one I've seen put out in the wild is by madshi's NEDI scaling algorithm. See: why mpv is shit compared MPC-HC.

http://engineering.flipboard.com/2015/05/scaling-convnets
>>
File: 1470321114533.png (276KB, 586x634px) Image search: [Google]
1470321114533.png
276KB, 586x634px
>>61695000
but mpv has nnedi anon
>>
>>61694891
NEDI looks interesting, thanks anon.

>>61694813
I am complaining about vidya and the interpolation blurryness looks buttugly.

>>61694891
Dont you see that it gets blurry?
>>
>>61695044
https://boards.fireden.net/a/thread/158793993/#q158795343

I'll hop onto mpv when madshi does. He will eventually since MPC maintenance is on its last legs.
>>
>>61695235
>Dont you see that it gets blurry?
With GPU scaling it does not. I canno check it right now, can't choose 640x360 resolution in any program but I used 960x600 resolution with crispy rendering previously.
>>
>>61693119
works4me with qtwebkit

* { image-rendering: pixelated !important; }
>>
>>61695044
don't feed the trolls

also NEDI != NNEDI3
>>
>>61695587
I find that post funny because the guy who made the challenge actually posted a solution to his own challenge

Never change, madshills
>>
>>61693142
it's not but you're probably retarded
>>
>>61695680
>references solution
>doesn't cite it
>>
I bought a 2014 macbook with that fancy display and that can't even scale correctly. Shit is still blurry and my eyes fucking hurt after using it. If I have to use vmware or rdp into things it's literally useless. What a fucking waste of money.
>>
>>61693119
i would love this
>>
>>61695727
warosu.org; find it yourself
>>
>>61695731
even worse, NOTHING can scale correctly on OS X because the compositor forcibly blurs absolutely every program, no matter what you do.. Not only is it a huge waste of resources but it also results in shit quality, shit text rendering, etc.

Then again, OS X users are used to literally paying for shit, so I guess it's ideal for them
>>
>>61696076
aight guess it doesn't exist
>>
>>61696151
aight guess you don't care
>>
>>61696268
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ until the challenge is met mpv scaling implementations are to be considered inferior to madvr.
>>
>>61696308
1. Oilpainting implementations are disgusting.
2. There was some vapoursyth filter that achieved the same disgusting oilpainting look.
>>
>>61696308
oh no, some idiots on /a/ will give money to madshi instead of mp- oh wait
>>
>>61696395
??? Just stop posting if you have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>61696463
>FOSS drum beaters
Who has two thumbs up your mom's fat asshole and who doesn't pay for video playback software let alone the anime that's watched on it?
>>
>>61696108
text rendering is a huge issue when running at non-native resolution. font rasterization algorithms are optimised based on the assumption that the pixels they generate are mapped 1:1 on the screen

a practical solution would be to render everything at native resolution except expensive things live videos or video games. video games could render the scene at a lower resolution then upscale the frame buffer and draw UI and over it at full resolution. some games like dota 2 do this, they have a quality slider which pretty much lowers the resolution at which the scene is rendered at, but UI elements aren't affected
>>
>>61696491
not me, I bought a Plex(tm) Pro subscription so I can use high quality video playback algorithms to watch my Netflix content!
>>
>>61696524
Did you just bring up video game engine implementation details into a topic about compositor DPI scaling?!

What the fuck are we even talking about anymore?
>>
>>61696681
DPI scaling has nothing to do with the blur caused by upscaling 1080p content on a 4K display
read my post again
>>
>>61696938
DPI scaling is the reason why the OS X compositor scales the output of every single program, even ones that can into DPI scaling properly
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.