[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Genome Sequencing Companies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: 592436fc1600002400ddc53d.jpg (126KB, 1910x1000px) Image search: [Google]
592436fc1600002400ddc53d.jpg
126KB, 1910x1000px
Do you know any companies which will offer genome sequencing but:

1)) Perform the "fullest" genome sequencing in the market (uses the most number of genes). Whole genome sequencing, if it commercially exists, would be incredible.

2) Offers both a) Ancestry and b) Medical Screening.

3) Doesn't retain your genome data to sell to insurance companies or make genocidal viruses. Bonus points if you can just download a file containing your whole genome (or parts of it) in Unicode.

4) Is under $1000 in price.

List your best.

>inb4 23andme
>>
>>61682446

>Doesn't retain your genome data to sell to insurance companies or make genocidal viruses.

many of these services use third party data processing/analysis firms that may or may not store or sell this information without telling you, or store the data insecurely, or warehouse the data in such a way that it will get out there later down the line

don't do it friend
>>
>>61682496
But if its not tied to your PII then who cares?

I am coming to the point where I need to know my ancestry. I'm going to do it one way or another, I just want to consult with /g/ first and maybe you'll help me from doing something stupid.
>>
>>61682570

It doesn't take much to extract PII even among claims to "anonymize" information

t. former medical tech engineer
>>
>>61682570

just don't do it dude

DIY sequencing and analysis will become economic within a decade if not sooner, but in the mean time don't be a retard about your biological capital just because you're a history autist
>>
>>61682624
So I put in "Mr. John Doe" in the contact info, use friend's address for delivery of the kit, pay with a Paypal, one set aside email for getting report. Whatever.

What about my other three requirements up there? Know any good companies?
>>
>>61682446
none of the companies that exist will tell you what you want to know. certain companies have an ethical code against telling people about genetic medical problems, others dont do it for reasons more related to avoiding litigation. If you want these real answers you will have to shell out for them to a real doctor with impetus to do so.
>>
>>61682706
Got any proof of that coming down the pipeline or you just speculating?
>>
>>61682706
This. Completely this.
>>
>>61682706
But muh white pride
>>
>>61682724

why are you so obsessed with finding out how Hwhite you are or if you're a jew or whatever, getting this done at the risk of possibly giving away THE CODE THAT RUNS YOUR BODY?!?!?!

at the very least get an LLC and set up legal protection for your genome jesus christ
>>
File: bladerunner003.jpg (21KB, 711x400px) Image search: [Google]
bladerunner003.jpg
21KB, 711x400px
>>61682739
A geneticist you mean.

Do people do that kind of freelance work?
>>
>>61682778
Thats an interesting idea, those are about $700 dollars though, but not bad to throw in if your already running a business.
>>
>>61682741
Relatively cheap (~$1000) home sequencing already exists, and will just get cheaper:
https://nanoporetech.com/products
>>
>>61683291
Interesting, thank you.
>>
>>61683379
A few tips for home sequencing, if you go through with it. Sequencers don't read the whole DNA strand chromosome by chromosome, end to end, it instead picks up fragments. You use algorithms to map all the fragments collected into a single model in order to compile the genome. It's very very unlikely you'd be able to get your entire genome with a single trial, but you can probably get 65%+ and map out most of the actually interesting genes.
>>
>>61683577
And to continue this post, check out this post: http://lab.loman.net/2017/03/09/ultrareads-for-nanopore/

If you change the method of DNA preparation slightly you can get much better reads.
>>
>>61683577
That's helpful since going into this I have no genetics background, just cell bio at best. And on top of that people don't really have as much access to the technologies, and understand how it works with it being so commercialized.

But yes I have money and will be looking into being an early adapter.
>>
>>61682446
>Best Genome Sequencing Companies
>Best way to feed the botnet
get the fuck outta here
>>
>>61683634
Honestly, this is probably the best time in the world to get into biohacking. CRISPR is in the hands of the public now, and it's trivial to find papers on retrovirus modification. Sequence some DNA, choose a gene to alter, insert the replacement strain into a retrovirus along with target markers, and inject the virus into the host. You can do this today, with under $5000 in capital.
>>
>>61683291
Even with custom preparation the assembly continuity with the minion is relatively poor, due to the limited ability of short reads to handle long repeats. And besides, the throughput is so low that whole genome sequencing is out of the question. You need tje benchtop model for that.

I say wait a decade or two for nanopore to really mature and then you can probably get a decent at home solution for <usd 1000. It's still to early for whole genome analysis too, gonna need a few more decades before the function of most genes are mapped, same with disease genes. There will be good software solutions for use with your own data set in due time, just have patience.
>>
>>61683845
This really should be a series of threads on /g/ now.

IT is merging with Bio and if we don't keep up our understanding of biotech we are going to get left behind, thanks for the info anyways.
>>61683902
>>
>>61682446
23andme

Does the ancestry, and medical screening, although the FDA butt fucked them a while back. They finally got FDA clearance to report on some things, but nowhere near a full list.

Good news is they give you your entire genetic breakdown in a file, to which you can do all sorts of shit with. There are tons of 3rd party sites you can use to interpret your data. So while 23andme might not tell you everything you want to know, there is a good chance you can find it elsewhere with your results.
>>
>>61683902
Waiting isn't a bad idea, but you can easily get 5 gigabases per cell out of a MiniION now.
Lets see,
~70,000 bases per read
Total 5Gbases
Random Distribution
Total Reads ~71K
3Gbases in the human genome
Each read contains 70Kbp/3,000,000Kbp ~0.000023 or 0.0023% of the genome
n(1-(1-(1/N))^(n-1)) where N = 43478(100%/0.0023%) n = 71K => ~57K overlapping samples is the number of expected overlapping reads (Using the birthday paradox formula from here: https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/35791/birthday-problem-expected-number-of-collisions since I can't into geometric expanions)
That leaves us with 14K non overlapping reads (keep in mind this is throwing away many perfectly good but slightly overlapping reads)
Which means about 32% of the genome with a single flow cell.

I think that's right? That's not to bad, worse than I thought initially but still pretty good. You might want to wait if you aren't to serious about it, but you could find out some interesting things with just that much.

Either way, it's as >>61683902 said. If you wait a bit for the technology to mature a bit more you'll be able to get something pretty good you can do at home.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.