[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Void Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

One of the greatest GNU/Linux distro's out there, although it's very unpopular. I mean, it doesn't include systemd, but instead uses runit. It's package manager is decent. It's a pretty minimal install. I see no flaws. What do you think, /g/?
>>
>>61658536

If it weren't for Devuan I'd surely given this a try.
>>
>>61658536
>no systemd
Dropped
>>
>>61658823
>systemd
Opinion discarted
>>
> no god tier wiki and packaged repository/aur like arch
Dropped

I don't want to search 1 hour on internet how to install my softwares.
>>
>>61658891
I think that when it'll be around for some more time, it'll be easier and more accessible. It just needs some time.
>>
>>61658536
>>61658851
where does all this fotm systemd hate come from
>>
>>61658891
you dont have to.
make && sudo make install

I thought /g/ would be that smart????
>>
>>61658936
This article pretty much sums it up:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/linus-torvalds-and-others-on-linuxs-systemd/

Systemd does more than an init is supposed to do. Systemd makes Linux more like Windows and less like Linux. It also slows down boot time (I don't care whether it's 1 second, I just want the fastest possible boot time)
>>
>>61658936

systemd is one big catastrofuck able to obfuscate a metric shit ton of exploits into code that runs on the highest privileged parts of your OS.

Also this relatively new "init" system was developed by Red hat (that works closely with the U.S. government) and adopted by all major distros basically overnight even by Debian that has glacier like adaptation policies.

Also, more and more software get unneeded hard dependencies on systemd making it harder and harder to choose a different init system. Running a modern DE without systemd is already nearly impossible.

All of this is fishy as fuck. The developer has a "my way or the highway" mentality and the whole project is still riddled with bugs and changing interfaces (wouldn't be bad for a new project if it weren't force fed to everyone).
>>
>>61659185
This.
>>
installed it last night. thing is amazing.
220MB of ram used with XFCE and pulseaudio (which i'll remove someday)

the repository and the font rendering could be better but the install was super straightforward and it feels like the SS is running my old as shit computer.
>>
How is it better than Devuan that all the other systemdphobes are clamoring for?
>>
>>61659287
Its name is better
>>
Runs pretty nicely on garbage ancient hardware (outside of some chipset incompatibility shit I had to fiddle with in latest linux kernel version, because muh bleeding edge). I still like slackware a bit more for "install and forget for years" systems that I dont want to bother updating regularly, but void's much better for shorter install/setup time.
>>
>>61658536
Pretty good distro, first choice when it comes to lack of systemd and a simple init system for me
>>
void linux is currently the best distro for everyday home use, no question.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.