[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

END OF AN ERA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 10

File: 1501448247431[1].jpg (22KB, 346x346px) Image search: [Google]
1501448247431[1].jpg
22KB, 346x346px
Facecuck and Jewgle are on life support, the free-with-ads model is dead. What comes next?

>http://wolfstreet.com/2017/07/28/procter-gamble-slashed-digital-ad-spending-what-happened-next/
>So P&G cut over $100 million out of its digital advertising spend in the fourth quarter, and this is what happened, according to Moeller: “We didn’t see a reduction in the growth rate.” And he added, “What that tells me is that that spending that we cut was largely ineffective.
>>
>>61646986
What does this mean?
>>
File: dfa[1].jpg (18KB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
dfa[1].jpg
18KB, 360x270px
>>61647050
The internet advertising bubble is bursting. P&G calling it a waste of money is bad news bears for the industry.
>>
>>61646986
It always amazed me that companies would spend such insane amounts of money for advertising. Like, why bother advertising something like cars, when you see them everyday and probably know someone who has whatever you're interested in? Ultimately, it's the price that's going to determine if you buy it or not, not some stupid ad.
>>
File: 1501367124319.jpg (86KB, 799x536px) Image search: [Google]
1501367124319.jpg
86KB, 799x536px
>>61647175
About damn time.
>>
>>61647248
You're not being sold the car, you're being sold the brand...what the car represents, how it will make you look, how it will make you feel, what it says about you as a person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays

>Bernays' vision was of a utopian society in which individuals' dangerous libidinal energies, the psychic and emotional energy associated with instinctual biological drives that Bernays viewed as inherently dangerous given his observation of societies like the Germans under Hitler, could be harnessed and channeled by a corporate elite for economic benefit. Through the use of mass production, big business could fulfill the cravings of what Bernays saw as the inherently irrational and desire-driven masses, simultaneously securing the niche of a mass production economy (even in peacetime), as well as sating what he considered to be dangerous animal urges that threatened to tear society apart if left unquelled.
>>
>>61647175
you're too hopeful
marketers are incorrigible and will die before this goes
>>
>>61647309
A good article on the subject:

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2011/11/luxury_branding_the_future_lea.html
>>
File: image.jpg (132KB, 559x813px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132KB, 559x813px
What is an ad?
>>
>>61647050
it means people hate ads.

They hated them when they were shown in the middle of their shows, nothing changed when they started to appear before youtube videos.
People still hate ads.

>>61647175
I wonder what kind of bullshit FB will do to try and shore up its revenue.
>>
>>61647175
literally all advertising is a waste of money
>>
>>61646986
facebook has 2 billion users on messaging
>messaging is not going anywhere
>https://venturebeat.com/2017/07/11/facebook-to-expand-messenger-home-screen-ads-beta-worldwide/
>>
>>61647327
>marketers will die
One can only hope.
>>
>>61646986
>What comes next?
2nd dot com bubble finally bursts, world economy collapses to 30's level
people all over the world start putting war mongering fascistic political groups in power, hoping to get back at the jews
3rd world war erupts few years later, we may or may not die in nuclear armageddon or skynet style singularity event where control over ai driven weapons is lost for some reason
>>
>>61649126
my money is on countries collapsing due to electronic attacks bringing their aging core infrastructure down
>>
Hopefully 4chan will follow soon.
>>
I don't care about facebook but google is a truly despicable and evil corporation I really hope they collapse.

Unfortunately I think they're too big to fail at this point.
>>
>>61647374

It isn’t. There’s literally no other way to let a large group of people know about your product if you aren’t a Fortune 500 company already or have plans to service more than just your local town.

Proctor and Gamble could stop advertising everywhere tomorrow and people will still know what Tide, Clorox, Gerber and Kellog cereals and their kids will know since brand loyalty for household items are passed down through generations
>>
>>61648710
and painfully

>>61649209
buy a pass, CTR
>>
>>61649126
finally, took us long enough
>>
>>61646986
Incorporate ads into user uploads for non premium accounts.
>>
>>61646986
>the free-with-ads model is dead
No, it's not.

>What comes next?
Something significantly worse. From the article:
>And what it reflected was a choice to cut spending from a digital standpoint where it was ineffective: where either we were serving bots as opposed to human beings, or where the placement of ads was not facilitating the equity of our brands
All this means is that advertising companies or companies with ads on their pages are going to need to include measures to detect which users are bots in order to keep bringing in money, which means more heavy spying JS on every page and possibly needing to enter captchas before going to sites to prove that you're human like you have to do when using Tor.

>>61647050
The web is going to get significantly worse.
>>
Donations are the future.

Also, use Minds.
>>
>>61647309
>>61647248
Look up 'The Century of the Self', a great documentary on the subject. Worth watching.
>>
>>61649644
Yeah, I watched the first part the other day. That's where I learned about Bernays and all the other shit. I wasn't totally ignorant of why advertising is the way it is, but I had no idea one guy was mostly responsible for it, and that it was based on Freud's theories. Spooky stuff.
>>
Facebook marketing doesn't work.
My company spent $20,000 on Facebook marketing package.

We saw no new customers because of it. Not one person clicked. We had hundreds of millions of views, but zero clicks.

Other companies are having the same results. Not even normies click on Facebook ads.
>>
>>61646986
Selling user data en masse to advertisers and being rid of advertisements on their platforms entirely. or >>61649126
>>
>>61647374
>>61646986

not according to cola, they cut their ads and saw their profits plummet
>>
>>61649209
>He doesn't have a 4chan pass
Fucking pleb
>>
>>61647309
((()))
>>
>>61650436
Just a coincidence :^)
>>
File: ccde.jpg (26KB, 379x450px) Image search: [Google]
ccde.jpg
26KB, 379x450px
>>61646986
Idk, if I was a /biz/fag, I'd much rather have the governments of the world in my pocket because I feed them information, and understand present-day communication way better than they ever could, and have enough of a grip on people to form public opinion at my own will, than getting money off of ads.
But hey, that's just me...

Actually, maybe breaking this side of things will even prove beneficial to these huge powers, like leaving behind the skin with which they grew until now, and finally turn completely into the monster they've been aiming to become for a while.
>>
>>61650383
you won't get my name and address hiroshima
>>
>>61646986
Google will keep going through sheer search engine inertia, it's replaced using actual URL's for a lot of people. Facebook was destined to either collapse in an earth-shattering way or make Zuckerberg cyberpunk god-king of the world for years now.
>>
Facebook is fucking terrible now but it won't die because everyone and their mom are using it
>>
>>61650828
>their mom
Younger generations might avoid Facebook because of this.
>>
>>61650828
If you were Zuckerkike, how would you convince investors to keep handing you their money if your ad revenue is bottoming out, though?
>>
>>61651105
I would have those investors be governments.
>>
>>61651095
And younger generations are the ones with less money to throw around, thus advertising to them via facebook is pointless. Plus facebook (the company) also owns instagram which is popular with young people
>>
>>61651297
>facebook (the company) also owns instagram which is popular with young people
Fuck, I didn't know that.
>>
>>61646986

>More companies run by old idiots cut internet ads to go back to dying cable and print

What was the company that stopped Youtube ads then cried about TV advertising numbers being low like 2 months later?
>>
>>61650331
Or maybe people just realize Cocola is a shitty product.
>>
>>61651338
This is true as well. They are trying to advertise to old people that are dying off. The industry is going through a change.

>Paid websites(paywall) are dying off and nobody is purchasing anymore
>Nobody reads newspapers or mail advertisements
>Cries when TV and Print are becoming obsolete

These dinosaurs are dying off with their failed model and society has reached an awareness that ads are stupid unless it makes sense and it is curated to the right audience. Then again most will be dead by the time this happens.

>>61651297
And those young people will move on a year or two later. Nobody stays around the same thing.
>>
>>61651529

Yes waterfag, they all realised that right when they cut ads, just cosmic coincidence.
>>
>>61650331
Pepsi probably went all in and even pawned their mothers to buy as much ad space as possible during that time.
Pepsi has tried it all throughout the years to gain just a bit of edge over CC even by stealing the goddamn formula.
>>
>>61651602
>Mah sugar water REEEE!

Fight me neckbeard I will kill years off your life.
>>
>>61651609
>even by stealing the goddamn formula.
Sauce? I thought the two companies were weirdly bro-tier about refusing to take advantage of offered leaks by moles, ratting the moles out to their respective employers instead.
>>
>>61649644
Watching it now 10 minutes in and I am amazed honestly. It's kind of why I learned to be frugal and only spend what I can afford on things if necessities and something of value than all this flashy stuff.
>>
>>61649698
this
>>
>>61649698
That's because most marketers are retards. Seriously, you don't even know how to plan an ad. Even with $10 of ads I managed to sell some of my books.
>>
>>61651909
what kind of books are you selling ?
>>
>>61652028
Self-help books. They sell great in %current year%.
>>
File: 1491167354227.gif (81KB, 650x415px) Image search: [Google]
1491167354227.gif
81KB, 650x415px
>>61652074
i expected either this or erotic fiction
is this making you any dosh ?

i remember seing retarded ads urging viewers to buy such kind of books for ridiculous prices as a limited time promotion with a countdown ticking on the web page, using videos as main marketing material
>>
>>61652195
Almost $500/month for now but I have a job aside so it's good to have more cash to spend.
Yeah you saw a landing page, nowadays it's either that or a fucking long page stuffed with buzzwords and call to action.
>>
File: 1476897932064.jpg (57KB, 640x365px) Image search: [Google]
1476897932064.jpg
57KB, 640x365px
>>61652290
>$500/month
weeeew lad i expected something more like what you get from ad revenue,a few bucks a month or something
do you happen to be making really good self help books, have a huge portfolio of books still getting hits or is this just a really good niche market ?
don't worry i won't tell anyone ;)
>>
>>61650828
im 33 and i dont use it. I have no friends and facebook isn't going to change that for me. I drift in and out of jobs, I meet people, I'm always well liked in the workplace but nothing ever progresses beyond that for me. I've had probably 50 jobs in the last 20 years, nothing lasts.

theres just.... nothing.
>>
This is bad, you fags. The glory days of free websites paid for by ad-viewing cucks are coming to an end.
>>
>>61647343
> I know, I know, you're rolling your eyes, you don't care what the readers of The Economist think or want, but the trouble is that as compared to the readers of Wired, Time, or The Atlantic, The Economist readers are more likely the ones who are shaping the new world order. That's why the classified ads in The Economist are for CEOs and the ones in The New Yorker are for mental institutions .
Savage.
>>
>>61651670
I had this impression. Was pretty sure pepsi and coke had reached 2 player nash equilibrium.
>>
>>61649472
This, things will get significantly worse with how ads are displayed before massive companies like Facebook/Google die off and websites paywall everything.
>>
>>61652384
I'll tell you the secret then.
You write a dozen of 40 pages books with sought-after subjects like "how to overcome depression", "how to be organized". Just look into Amazon for ideas.
Seriously, you don't even have to reinvent the wheel just rip off few blog posts on that subject blend them into a single book and call it a day.

Then, go to Fiverr to get your book's cover for $5 of make it yourself if you have the skill/time for that. Put your ebook on Amazon KDP Select for $0,99. Tell a few people to buy it for free in exchange of a positive comment.

Put a $5 ad on Facebook, select your audiance (people who liked pages linked to "your subject"), remove the phone posters because they won't buy anything from their phones. Your estimated audiance should be ~10K.

Then make your ad, put a shutterstock photo ripped off a blog with a smiling man/woman with your ebook on it. And add some buzzwords and tell them to buy it now at $0,99 because the next week it'll be $5,99 to get the retards to click on your ad that get them on Amazon.

The sells made the first week will get your ebook to be pinned on the front page, so you'll have more sells. Then increase your price to $2,99 the next week, then $4,99 and grab your money. Rinse and repeat.
>>
>>61651609
You do realize coke owns Pepsi now
>>
>>61652773
[citation needed]
>>
File: 1483760294271.jpg (13KB, 425x329px) Image search: [Google]
1483760294271.jpg
13KB, 425x329px
>>61652766
thanks dood
i can't believe i haven't taken this whole ebooks business seriously before
>>
Thing is, if you're not going to advertise on the web, you might as well not advertise at all. TV is dead, the radio is dead, and everyone has a smartphone.

That all said, I would love to see Facebook die.
>>
>>61649472
Really just better, now geeky people who spend time out of passion will develop for the internet again
>>
>>61647309
Sounds pretty much like the reality we live in.
>>
>>61652943
Bus stops, subways, movies and series insertions. There are so many ways to advertise something. While on the internet I can just use an adblock.
>>
>>61653015

>Bus stops, subways
Easy to vandalize by people who don't like your company.
>>
>webdev bursting
>ads bursting
Hallelujah!
>>
>>61653077
About the web,
https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/6p3al2/im_a_mid_level_full_stack_javascript_developer_on
>>
File: 1497077418323.png (115KB, 800x729px) Image search: [Google]
1497077418323.png
115KB, 800x729px
>>61652028
"How to Make Big Bux Advertising On Facebook"
>>
>>61646986
This is good news
Internet should be back into the hands of the people
>>
>>61653154
Kek, I'll do it one day trust me.
>>
>>61647175
Or rather just blindly trowing money at it won't make you good. Next level is deeper research into marketing psychology, opinion leaders, opinion formation, more work with e-celebs and forums and etc.
>>
>>61653091
What a fucking crybaby. That guy should be thankful he has a boss smart enough to just cut his pay. Most people would've just fired his ass and replaced him with a pajeet for half the price.
>>
>>61653171
We give it back to you, the people.
>>
>>61649269
>>>61647374
>Proctor and Gamble could stop advertising everywhere tomorrow and people will still know what Tide, Clorox, Gerber and Kellog cereals and their kids will know since brand loyalty for household items are passed down through generations
They won't be forgotten because they own 90% of any shelf they sell from. If you walk into a store, choose a random Isle, and point to an eye / arm level shelf it is likely a P&G brand product. They generally don't need to advertise because the general laziness of not looking up or down keeps them relevant to shoppers.

Why do you think amazon is pushing out those buttons? They know the shopping Isle experience is lessening and they want to lock general consumers in with the laziness of not shopping at all while all the money they spent advertising g is fresh.
>>
2bn people use it, but you can't really reach them unless you keep pumping money all the time
and even this no longer brings good results. they fucked up big time with all the "reach reduction" changes that they've been doing
>>
>>61652413
Be thankful for having jobs and social skills at all. Many people here lack either.
>>
>>61646986
LOL, why do you think Zuck wants to be President?
When he is elected, he'll pass a law making it mandatory to click on X ads per day on your failbook account!
>>
>>61655583
>Many people here lack both.
FTFY
>>
>>61655626
Yeah, I realized that just after posting.

>>61652766
Interesting shtick. I can't decide whether I'm too lazy or too honorable to get into something like this.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (20KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
20KB, 550x550px
>>61646986
We did it /g/.
>>
>>61647347
>t. Nigger
>>
>>61652860
I dind't know people actualy bought/read ebooks.
I wanted to try putting fiction on there one day but that would be gay.
>>
I am sure their marketing effort are ineffective because of click fraud botnets

it totally went out of control and I don't think anyone will be able to fix

maybe when law starts treating botmasters as terrorists
>>
>>61647374
>literally all advertising is a waste of money
Yeah that's how apple became the most expensive company in the world despite not having pumped out an innovative product in years.
Because their ads didn't gather millions of sheep. HURR!
>>
>>61652962
Are you fucking stupid? Do you honestly think all these companies in the ad industry, the datamining industry, and that depend on ads because not many would pay for their site otherwise will just shrivel up and die without trying to fix known problems with current advertising models? Some of these companies are worth millions, do you think they're just going to roll over without trying to fix problems that make their current model less profitable?
>>
I'm not sure it will change much the web, but I do hope it will.

Is there a chance that some websites will just shutdown due to this ?
Or maybe those that can't get money from subscriptions will shutdown while others will see their "devs" and "journalists" having to find an actual job
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.