[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Automate your life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: automator.jpg (36KB, 400x562px) Image search: [Google]
automator.jpg
36KB, 400x562px
I've realized the most important thing I have in my life is time, I'm on a quest to find ways to automate my life so I can have time to do things that are wholesome and hold some real value.

In regards to technology, what could I automate? In 2017 I assume there's some good tech out there, what would you advise /g

I've never been on this board so please be nice.
>>
>>61639349
tampermonkey and sonoff/broadlink
>>
>>61639378
anything else?
>>
Breakfast Machine
>>
>>61639378
I have been reluctant to use IoT products that communicate with internet servers. Are there any solutions like broadlink that let you self-host without the botnet?
>>
With robots, you may be able to automate your masturbation rather effectively.

The Japanese are leaders in this industry.
>>
Some new cars can auto-connect to ur phone once you enter via Bluetooth, which seems useful.

Home automation: ACs and auto blinds.
>>
>>61639527
With tampermonkey you can automate your browsing and with IoT you can automate your power system(lamp, computers, tv etc).
In the kitchen there is not much you can do, maybe buy a dishwasher if you don't have one. I have a robot arm, tried to "teach" it to cut vegetables etc, but it was useless.
Automating tea is impossible, but you can buy automatic coffee makers if you drink coffee.

>>61639617
Sonoff is basically a esp8266 with a relay. You can reprogram it if you want, and connect it to your home server
>>
>>61639627
https://youtu.be/-wfuwLZnE1A?t=6s
Done that, it's not much fun.
>>
How do I automate the making of a good cup of coffee? I want to have a cup waiting when I wake up.
>>
>>61639720
My sisters bought a machine that can make coffee automatically, either by time or phone app. It's expensive as fuck though, I think it was around 1000$, but it might be cheaper where you live, because in my country the tax is 27%
>>
Dishwashing machine helped me a lot, also hiring a maid to come and clean once a week.
You can save a lot of time just ajusting your daily habbits a bit: wear similiar clothes every day, prepare your meals 3 days in advance (same food except on the weekend), breakfast prepared before bed, washing your teeth while you shower, read your e-mails/news only when on the toilet (once a day), wake up slightly earlier in order to avoid (most) traffic to work, work out close to your home/job, delegate task to as many people as you can.
If you do computer work you can automate a lot, including text expanders, but most of all: avoid/redirect interactions with women unless they offer sexual/reproductive value. Every salesman, opperator and tech support will tell you they take 5x-10x more time and energy to deal with, get a job done.
>>
>>61639720
With a raspberry pi maybe.

>>61639349
I think everyone should automate cleaning
>>
>>61639720

Honestly, you should just manually brew. If you don't have time them put it in a thermos the night before that can keep it warm. Or you can get a coffee shot.
>>
>>61639796
oh, yes. I forgot I am building a robot vacuum cleaner. But other than that, I can't imagine other chores you can automate
>>
>>61639349

Use speedrun strats - if you have to wait for something fit stuff in while waiting

>Shit and brush teeth (at the same time) while the shower is warming up
>Clean the kitchen while waiting for tea to steep
>Eat while getting dressed
>When on a date, eat as quickly as possible. Pre book uber as dinner is showing up

Tech wise:

>Selenium for automating repetitive web tasks - I use it to automatically grab reports for work
>File Juggler - automatically opens/moves/deletes files upon set criteria. Use it to clear downloads older than 48hrs, automatically attach scans to email, and so on
>Cygwin (or other Windows Unix alternative) and learn how to write bash scripts to automate stuff.

Some more helpful reading

https://github.com/NARKOZ/hacker-scripts/blob/master/README.md

https://mobile.twitter.com/speedrunslife?lang=en

Disclaimer: some of this post is for real and some of it is me being a dick. I'll leave it up to you to decide what is which
>>
>>61640019
>Cygwin to automate windows

Just use powershell lmao
>>
>>61640019
Those speedrun starts sound pretty good, got anymore?
>>
>>61639720
My cheapo drip machine has a clock that can work as a timer to start the machine at certain hour
It's not a good cup of coffee but it's better than instant coffee
>>
>>61639349
>I've realized the most important thing I have in my life is time
yet you don't know what to do with it
so stop worrying
>>
>>61641883
I will soon, I just need to find some time to meditate on it.
>>
>>61639349
>/g
you can get your answers back on reddit
>>
>>61639349
Find a housewife
>>
>>61639349
Tidy up your email is usually a good start. Unsubscribe from any mailing lists that you don't actually care all that much about. Use imapfilter to sort your mail into categories that can be looked at at different times (e.g. immediately, once a day, once a week etc.) and only check / respond to those mails during those times.

If you haven't already, learn a scripting language and use it to write a toolkit of scripts that let you do some workflows faster. Start small with these, and gradually build up, remember to make them capable of being chained together to further automate your workflow.

>>61639720
I got a coffee maker with a built in grinder and timer function, set it up before bed and wake up to the incredibly loud sound of a coffee grinder going off in the next room

>>61639839
Just buy one of the earlier roomba's secondhand, got an 880 off ebay for £200 and it does the job well enough, just have to empty it every three days or so and perform a small amount of maintenance once a week.
>>
>>61640019
>while the shower is warming up
huh? That takes a whole couple of seconds. Why not just shit and brush teeth while in shower?

>waiting for tea to steep
I don't think anyone just sits there waiting for their tea to steep...

>eat while getting dressed
That sounds like a women thing.
>>
File: 1501022728185.jpg (252KB, 1366x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1501022728185.jpg
252KB, 1366x2048px
bumping, help me out wizards
>>
>>61639349
There's a book called something like automate the small stuff with python. People who play those slow paced games on facebook with daily checkins would benefit greatly. It could do all of the tasks for you and maybe help people see how much of an unfulfilling waste of time it is.
In general if you find yourself doing certain things on a computer it can help greatly if you have moments where you have to wait between inputs while different programs start up or are in different states. Also, if you haven't, learn the keyboard shortcuts for your OS and browser or whatever application you use, especially switching tabs or open windows with alt-tab, page down rather than scrolling, and binding power on in bios to keyboard key may be relevant. Take steps to increase your computer boot up time, remove bloat and unnecessary processes.
There's cooking tools, like a wireless or smart meat thermometers for cooking in an oven, certain types of crock pots and pressure cookers that work on a timer. There was something I can't remember that you'd submerge in a bowl of water and sous vide meat over the course of hours until you're ready, all of which with minimal prep and cleanup assuming you know the recipes which can sometimes be pretty simple.
There's the obvious stuff like roombas, air conditioning so you don't need to fuck around with fans. Different products you could use to clean rather than dusters or sponge and soap on counters, mainly just wipes.
For entertainment things like chromecast or roku and being able to cast videos to different televisions or monitors without having to use a remote, connecting a game console with the television so when you turn one on/off it does the same to the other.
Session savers for browsers, and setting up more than one homepage if for example every morning you check specific social media pages and email. I could go on but I'd reach the letter cap.
>>
>>61644257
Not him, but I live in an apartment with an energy saving water heater that takes a couple minutes, and a water saving washing machine that makes me use multiple loads, and an energy saving dryer that makes me... you get the idea.

Now that I think about it, some better utility technology like that could save a bunch of time, like an all in one washer/dryer. Oh and make sure you have one of those spray hose things for your kitchen sink.
>>
File: 1498472646675.webm (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1498472646675.webm
2MB, 480x360px
>>61639720
Built one of these and make it better
>>
>>61639349
Automation in the workplace doesn't mean you can work less it means you work the same but output more product for your boss.
>>
>>61646844
Unless you don't tell them that you've automated half of your work flow
>>
>>61646977
They would figure it out pretty quickly. Unless you work from home.
>>
>>61646997
5 years and counting
>>
>>61639349
OP if you want to spend more time sucking cock we can't help you with that
>>
>>61639349
Auto-fellatio.
>>
>>61641535

>Use a hands free kit in the car to catch up with all your phone calls. I used to drive 1hr+ a day so I'd be able to catch up on missed calls and keep in touch with friends this way (although for optimum speed strats friends are not recommended)
>Stims, i.e. coffee or harder stuff like noopept. Two doses max, take no later than 8hrs before bedtime (so for me, 1-2PM)
>If you've got a fair bit of rubbish to dispose of in your house, bring the bin to you rather than walking to the bin every time. This used to save me minutes on every day when it was a minute return trip from the apartment blocks bins
>If you don't have one already, dishwasher like >>61639781
>Save a few seconds a day by minimising your wallet and keys so you're not constantly rooting around trying to find stuff. I have a Keyport and a Dosh wallet. Rewards cards (I know, tracking reeeee) I have in an app called Stocard, so I can scan it when I'm checking out. I generally have my phone it to check balances so it doesn't make an impact time wise
>This Anon has tons of good ideas. >>61639781 What he didn't mention was to only have one type of sock and underpants, so you never end up with mismatched/odd socks.
>>
>>61644257
>>>61640019 (You)
>huh? That takes a whole couple of seconds. Why not just shit and brush teeth while in shower?

Because in my house it takes about a minute and a half for the hot water to come on in my shower. Can't do anything about it because rental, so I use the wait time wisely

>I don't think anyone just sits there waiting for their tea to steep...

I keep making the mistake of cleaning the kitchen, THEN making the missus' tea, so I sit down on the lounge and have to get up again in 4 minutes. Learn from my mistakes

>That sounds like a women thing.

Speed knows no gender or race
>>
>>61644167
>coffee maker with timer and grinder
This is pretty much the ultimate.
>roomba
I'd do this buy usually there's too much shit on my floor to vacuum anyway.
>>
>>61647889
>I'd do this buy usually there's too much shit on my floor to vacuum anyway.
My apartment was like that until about a month after I got the roomba, eventually it just becomes a habit to keep stuff off the floor
>>
>>61639627
I to look forward to the day when I can program while a robo gives me a handie under the desk.
>>
>>61641807
Nothing wrong with drip, though it sucks to leave your ground coffee in there overnight. I'd rather have fresh-ground.
>>
>>61648045
As discussed, there are drip machines with grinders
>>
>>61646997
Not really if you don't leave your workspace
>>
File: 60993245_p1.jpg (149KB, 956x1200px) Image search: [Google]
60993245_p1.jpg
149KB, 956x1200px
>>61639349
I'm trying to make robots based on image deep-learning of human motion capture guidance. meaning we put camera on each reciver on the person and ask him to do routine work and let the machine copy the behaviors.
Does anyone have experience on this?
>>
>>61648326
Probably not, there may be a machine learning type thread every now and again. You're probably better off joining a subreddit or one of those private tech forums, or just want to stick to finding things to study on related topics.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.