[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There is no user friendly *BSD, right?.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: YTE.png (113KB, 1450x694px) Image search: [Google]
YTE.png
113KB, 1450x694px
Wrong

- Safer than Linux
- Incorporates best init system called OpenRC
- No obscure GNU policy
- No obscure packages
- No NSA-Kernel developed

What Makes TrueOS® Different?

What makes TrueOS different? TrueOS is based on the legendary security and stability of FreeBSD. TrueOS follows FreeBSD-CURRENT, with the latest drivers, security updates, and packages available. Also, our brand new driver package brings in support for newer Intel graphics chipsets and hardware. We pride ourselves on providing industry leading features like PersonaCrypt, which allows encrypting your user home directory and carrying it to other TrueOS machines. TrueOS also supports GELI full disk encryption, keeping your data secure even in the case of physical theft. So go ahead and give us a try. If you hit any snags along the way, we are glad to help.

https://www.trueos.org/blog/milestone-complete-openrc-conversion/
>>
>>61635494
>So go ahead and give us a try. If you hit any snags along the way, we are glad to help.
I tried, but had issues with boot media when trying to install it on an old thinkpad with switchable graphics. Tried iso, and img with similar results under different bios configs.
>>
>>61635675
>thinkpad
that's why you won't succeed in life
>>
name sounds like it would be a chat client
>>
What makes it so secure? It's innovative no-network-drivers™ technology ensures you won't be able to download malware from anywhere
>>
>>61635736
I bought two to try bsd. How fucked am I socially?
>>
TrueOS only works in a virtual machine for me. If I want to run bsd natively I only have luck with openbsd, or netbsd.
>>
>>61635882
>using powerpc
why?
>>
>>61635923
>using powerpc
But I'm not.
>>
>>61635882
>I only have luck with openbsd, or netbsd.
Because it's the only BSD that is actually used on real hardware by the devs.

PCBSD/Trueos would have been much better off forking OpenBSD instead of FreeBSD.

Basically fork OpenBSD, add procfs, port FreeBSD's jails to have something to substitute cgroups and then add some daemons for normie user friendliness like mount USB drives on plugin, a WiFi connector with arch's wifimenu and you have a full user friendly OS with still more security than GNU/Linux, can port roughly 99% of Linux Software without compat layer and that's it.

Long term steps: replace fucking UFS
>>
>>61635494
>They renamed PC-BSD

Fucking why?
>>
>>61635494
>- Safer than Linux

Oh, that kernel which one researcher found dozens of trivial security bugs in this year? Obscurity might make you feel more secure, but that's not real security Anon.

>- No obscure GNU policy

What.

>- No obscure packages

"We're so good because we have _less_ software." Wow, you're really selling this.

>- No NSA-Kernel developed

And how would you know? You think that the NSA puts their stamp on code that is intentionally going to give them backdoors? SELinux has their name on it because they actually use the fucking thing.
>>
I've been running Linux, Window and OSX for years and decided to try openBSD yesterday for the first time and it's absolutely amazing. Easy install and setup, simple functionality and no bullshit.
>>
>>61635984
Sheer, pure, unadulterated, weaponised autism.
>>
>>61635996
Try playing a 1080p video in YouTube on fullscreen and look at your cpu usage
>>
>>61635971
>Long term steps: replace fucking UFS
that's why TrueOS use freebsd as base
>>
>>61636012
Doesn't seem as bad as it could be. It's an i5 x220.
>>
>>61636013
I think we could easily live with UFS until the priority work is done. Also porting ZFS to OpenBSD or even ext shouldn't be too too much of a big deal
>>
>>61636039
Tell me 1 reason why OpenBSD is better than FreeBSD
>>
>>61635996
>I've been running Linux, Window and OSX for years and decided to try openBSD yesterday for the first time and it's absolutely amazing. Easy install and setup, simple functionality and no bullshit.
Fucking this. Everyone teued tobtell me how hard openbsd is to get working, but it's pretty much installs itself, and every question that you were going to ask has already been officially answered by someone in the simplest of ways. With OpenBSD you could answer most if not all your own issues if you just rtfm.
>>
>>61636039
You do realise that it's a lot
>>61636053
It runs on actual hardware lmao?
>>
>>61636068
trueos is running on my i3 from 2014 with 750ti :}
>>
File: owo.png (40KB, 704x378px) Image search: [Google]
owo.png
40KB, 704x378px
>>61635494
Let me show you a good font rendering.
>>
>>61636080
>is running
>barely walks
>>
>>61636082
>pale moon
degenerate
they are migrating the server, the CA expired ~2 hours ago
>>
>>61636068
It's significant but I don't spend time watching 1080p videos on youtube, the screen itself isn't even 1080p.

>>61636053
I can't? I'm new to BSD as a whole and thought I'd try openBSD first. There's no argument here.
>>
>>61636086
why do you spread the i5 TRUEOS is slow meme?
>>
>>61636095
They will migrate freetype2 too or is it expired 2 hours ago? :^)
>>
>>61636135
>:^)
stop
>>
>>61636099
what i wanted to tell you is that you have no gpu acceleration on OpenBSD at all. try running tuxracer or even some basic 2d utility like xfdashboard in case you are on xfce. It's almost unusable for anything that actually moves.

Don't get me wrong, I like OpenBSD and even commit to it. I sell custom built OpenBSD firewalls, routers and NAS to small and medium-sized companies in Germany. But on a desktop? I don't know.
>>
>>61636135
isn't freetype2 installed on Gentoo/Arch by default?
>>
>>61636175
TrueOS > linux confirmed?
>>
>>61636175
depends on your hardware. all my machines including laptops have gpu accel on openbsd (mix of inteldrm and radeondrm drivers). your experience may vary
>>
File: Good goy.jpg (37KB, 283x347px) Image search: [Google]
Good goy.jpg
37KB, 283x347px
>yfw trueos kills Canonical
>>
File: 1457291146717-1.jpg (94KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1457291146717-1.jpg
94KB, 500x500px
>>61636371
If that would be the only issue with it.
>>
>>61636425
dumb loli poster
>>
>>61636068
>You do realise that it's a lot
I'd like to see yours on any system. Youtube takes a lot of CPU regardless, my FX 6300 overclocked to 4.1GHz keeps all 6 cores running at about 35-40% load on youtube while I'm watching 1080p videos.
>>
File: 2017-07-30 05.30.35.jpg (362KB, 1439x1622px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-30 05.30.35.jpg
362KB, 1439x1622px
>>61635494
>doesn't even boot in VirtualBox
DISCARDED
>>
Is that really U S A B L E with labtobs?
>>
>>61635494
but why did they go with KDE?
>>
>>61635494
If you are good with Linux you should be good with *BSD, no one says otherwise

>What Makes TrueOS® Different?
Less compatibility, shitter hardware drivers
>>
>There is no user friendly *BSD, right?

Yeah there is, it's called macOS / Darwin, LOL

TrueOS isn't very good but maybe someday it will be a decent alternative to Linux.

Your points:
>Safer than Linux
Less eyeballs, see the defcon notes that have been circulating here for weeks, hardenedBSD is a cool project and very attractive now that grsec is all but gone on Linux for the public, in the future it probably will actually be safer

>OpenRC
Not the best init, that would be launchd, OpenRC really looses its magic once you need to actually do something with it

>No GPL/GNU
A big plus, for sure

>Obscure Packages
lol

There's some other problems though:
Buggy hardware support
Horrible DE / DE options (this, compatibility, and performance is going to determine whether 99% of people stick with an OS)

FreeBSD has a big problem in that its devs all use macs and it doesn't have a real desktop install base in the way that OpenBSD does.
>>
TrueOS is a shitty fucking name too, somehow they found a worse name than PC-BSD
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.