[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>there are people on this board RIGHT NOW who think SSDs are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: 1501288870793.png (430KB, 484x602px) Image search: [Google]
1501288870793.png
430KB, 484x602px
>there are people on this board RIGHT NOW who think SSDs are a meme

An SSD is literally the most cost-effective computer upgrade you can buy.
>b-b-b-but i never reboot my computer!!!
>why do you need fast startups for???
Having a beefy CPU and maxed out RAM slots doesn't mean shit when your spinning rust drive is still being thrashed every time you do anything.
>>
File: Frame4606.jpg (1MB, 2726x3911px)
Frame4606.jpg
1MB, 2726x3911px
ok
>>
B-b-but 5400RPM is a-all you n-need
>>
>>61625973
This is a terrible shitpost.

Mods?
>>
>>61625973

post more of her

I wanna see her other slutty tats
>>
>>61626263
>her
>>
>incredibly expensive for a low capacity drive
>games are over 60gb now and the bloating shows no sign of slowing

no
>>
>>61625973
Please be a boy.
>>
>>61626364
>games
Why do people still waste time on video games as adults?
>>
>>61625973
how much per hour do you think >she charges?
>>
>>61626400
Because I like to make you and your core2duo jelly.
>>
File: Homer_laugh.jpg (14KB, 261x199px) Image search: [Google]
Homer_laugh.jpg
14KB, 261x199px
>>61626400
>"I-I don't like games anyway!" repeats the forlorn Linux using SSDfag for the sixth time today
>>
>>61626263
>>61626396

its some brazillian trap good shit though
>>
>>61627013
that doesnt look brazilian
>>
>>61627013
it's kina shen

https://www.instagram.com/kinashen/?hl=en
>>
>>61627048
She looks better without all that photoshop.
>>
>>61627048
holy fuck this chick is weird. she isn't really ugly but kinda strange, thats some mr hyde shit right there
>>
File: 1479332095557.png (207KB, 450x416px) Image search: [Google]
1479332095557.png
207KB, 450x416px
>>61625973
>the most cost-effective
But this is untrue. You can get a 1TB HDD for less than half the price of a 256GB SSD.

You can only store one quarter of the anime for twice the price, and the anime doesn't even play any faster
>>
>>61625973
Who cares what Luddites think?
>>
They're decent for short-term plans that require a lot of data flowing in and out (e.g. seedbox), but even for gayming they aren't necessary, and definitely don't use an SSD for anything long-term (e.g. backup server)

SSDs are a good meme, but still a meme. Get over it.
>>
>>61626364
>not buying one of each
SSD: OS, most programs, scratch disk for projects
HDD: anything else
>>
>>61627247
don't replace your hdd with an ssd, add an ssd to your system, you dumb piece of shit.
>>
>>61625973
SSDs are excellent. The only downside is their relatively shorter lifespan. Just gotta get a samsung 850 evo with that 5 year warranty. I keep all of my important files on a second HDD and run all of my programs/OS on the SSD
>>
>>61627762
He uses a laptop with a single hdd slot and never heard of optibays.
>>
>>61627806
>their relatively shorter lifespan

rocking my 120gb Crucial for almost 5 years
it still reads as GOOD HEALTH
>>
>>61627247
Who the fuck only has one drive? You never put personal data in the same place as root you dumb shit.
>>
>>61627806
Unless you write literally terrabytes worth of data a day. The lifespan of an SSD is not an issue
>>
I always thought SSDs were a meme, but I recently bought an m.2 drive in my first build.

Temps aside, this thing fucking rocks for more than just boot times. Feels good.
>>
An SSD:
+ Won't fail from vibrations
+ Doesn't have mechanical moving parts which can fail
+ Has more accurate lifespan estimation
+ Is faster
+ Can hoard more data in the future for cheaper price unless HDD platters get another technological upgrade to their material and data inscription methods

- Will get fucked by an electrical failure or instability, whether caused by itself, or as a side-effect of other hardware failures via the board, which can wipe and corrupt all data
- Will get fucked by firmware failure, bug, or intrusion, which has a high chance of making retrieval impossible
- Will get fucked by the chip control failing in a way that's hard to fix and which has a high chance of making data retrieval impossible

An HDD:
+ Won't fail from firmware because firmware is irrelevant
+ Won't fail from electrical failure because that only translates to mechanical parts failing while data already inscribed on the platter is retrievable
+ Due to lower speeds, any registered ongoing intrusions or data corruption can be mended, even if partially, making at least part of the data retrievable
+ Data lasts much longer in case of off-line storage, if HDD is kept in plastic containers away from moisture and high temperatures

- Mechanical parts can fail due to various reasons, like vibration, but data from the platters is at least retrievable
- Speeds will always be lacking compared to SSDs
- Price-per-1GB will be higher than SSDs in the future unless HDD platters evolve again
- Can't monitor and estimate lifespan accurately

Smart people use both for specific tasks where their strengths apply and weaknesses are offset.
Retards think one can replace the other.

Don't be an underage retard.
>>
>>61628499
I would also add that the read speed on an SSD varies based on how much is actually on it. IIRC it is actually slower read speed if you have nothing on it than if it was half full. It's hard to say if that's a pro or con.

Also you mention the cost per GB will be higher in the future, but that really is a pro for the HDD at the moment, considering that HDDs are currently around 10x cheaper for the same memory (considering 1tb hdd is $50, 256gb ssd is $100). With that in mind, it's much more cost effective to set up backup RAID systems with an HDD than it is to rely on an SSDs to not fail due to lack of a write arm.

Also it should be mentioned that HDDs generate heat and can damage themselves due to that (plus if you are using a laptop, it can add to the heat on the bottom of the machine considerably). HDDs are also sensitive to magnets, whereas SSDs don't have that problem, which could be a plus or minus if you were keeping an electromagnetic bar on hand for when the fbi raid your loli infested and cum crusted home.
>>
If they were half as expensive, they'd be worth it on a laptop.
>>
>>61627762
Who said anything about only one drive? If you fill up one drive with anime and need to get a new one, why wouldn't you get the one with an 8 times greater cost:space ratio?
>>
What has been stopping me from buying one is that my current laptop still has SATA I with 1.5Gb/s speeds. My HDD can reach 105 MB/s of write speed, buying an SSD won't feel much of an upgrade, more like a waste of money.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.