[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HP Proliant Microserver

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Microserver-06.jpg (797KB, 3205x2250px) Image search: [Google]
Microserver-06.jpg
797KB, 3205x2250px
Anyone run these little bad boys?

I've had one running for 4 years with RAID 5 and 4x3TB drives on win2k2012R2

Wondering if it's worth updating and if it'll break down soon?

I modded a HP RAID card to make it work with this, but it's still kicking. Loving the fanless AMD CPU.
>>
>>61620713
I run a Microserver Gen 8. Works great. The Gen 10 is coming soon, but it's shit so I would move to something else if I were you.
>>
File: DSCN1099.jpg (3MB, 4000x1778px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1099.jpg
3MB, 4000x1778px
aye, I've two old N36Ls running freenas with 4x2TB each - been lovely little machines, low power and do their thing with no fuss.
>>
>>61620747
>The Gen 10 is coming soon
More like the gen after 8 has been coming soon for 5 years now.
>>
>>61620878
Nevermind seems gen10 is around the corner and it's indeed shit. Why the fuck would they use an obsolete jaguar based opteron? I bet the 4 core xeon you can get to gen 8 beats the shit out of the gen10.
>>
>>61620713
I missed their Proliant ML110 series. Could fit 6 3.5" HDD in there.
>>
>>61620747
Should I get something like those NAS boxes (ie synology) or just another one of these?

I'd like to upgrade the HDD space and also a new gen of...something and transfer the data over to the new server and put the old stuff on eBay.
>>
>>61620713
I have a gen8, great machine, especially considering the price.
4x3 TB RAID10, 16 GB DDR3 and CentOS on a 320 GB 2.5" HDD.
Currently running ~8 Linux VM.
>>
I've got what I think is a Gen 9, the one that comes with some shitty Celeron J. I've got an i3 to slot in but haven't got round to it yet.

Use it as a home server and it's connected to my TV as a HTPC as well.
>>
What kind of services do you guys run on your machines?
>>
Seems like this is the new home server general so.

Someone knows if the security issue at OwnCloud was true? I don't mind trying NextCloud but OwnCloud is kind of more evolved (even if it is fucked up)
>>
>>61622939
These are the VM I run on my gen8:
1) backup, essentially a bare CentOS 7 install with rsync.
2) DNS, unbound + DNSCrypt.
3) ejabberd XMPP server.
4) mail server: dovecot, postfix, spamassassin, opendkim, etc.
5) torrent, DLNA server, NFS and samba share.
6) a VM that manage and keep all the SSL certificates used by every other service up to date.
7) syncthing server.
8) openvpn server
9) webserver

All VM are CentOS 7 based, there are also some more that I only use every once in a while.
>>
>>61620929
you can fit 6 3.5" in the g7-era microservers with very little fuss.
>>
>>61623575
can you gimme links on how to set up #2 #6 #7 and explain why i'd need #8 and #9?
>>
>>61623575
>gen8
Means you have at max 16GB of RAM right?
>>
>>61623575
>VM
Have you ever considered using containers?
I'll be setting up my first lab soon (having rented dedi/VPS previously) and was just wondering why people use one over the other in their labs.
>>
>>61623673
2) probably the best resource on the web: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unbound
DNSCrypt: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DNSCrypt#Unbound

6) SLL keys are issued by letsencrypt.
I use certbot and a custom bash script that basically copies all the new SSL certificates on all the other virtual machines and restart certain services.

7) syncthing is easy, download a precompiled binary from the official site and use the bundled systemd init script (or else you don't have systemd on your machine) to manage the service.

8) I use this when I am not at home and I don't trust the connection or if certain sites are filtered.
Actually pretty handy.

9) I host some low traffic websites.

>>61623692
Yes.
Luckily most of the VM I run are very very light, I barely use 9 GB of RAM and consider that 4 GB are allocated to the media/torrent server alone.

>>61623723
I use what I know best, I want this setup to be as much as set and forget as possible and qemu + KVM always proved to be rock solid for me.
Running this configuration non stop since ~2014 I think when CentOS 7 was released.
>>
>>61620713
>I've had one running for 4 years with RAID 5 and 4x3TB drives on win2k2012R2
Check the MTBF for the drives.

>Wondering if it's worth updating and if it'll break down soon?
You might want to replace one disk every second year, leaving the old as a cold standby. The data on your disks is more valuable than the price of a new drive.

Also: never populate a machine with drives from the same production batch. That would mean that when one drive breaks the rest break shortly thereafter.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.