[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Working on a Unity project on 2 PCs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: ogimg.jpg (17KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
ogimg.jpg
17KB, 1200x630px
The title says it all. What is the best way to work on a project between two PCs?

Alternatively, what is a better engine to do this?

>>inb4 fuck off hipster developer on unity
We're just looking to spend the evening working on some shit just for fun, we don't want to rip off people on steam through early access.
>>
>>61611499
Should ask >>>/vg/agdg, anyways if you are sharing assets too forget things like git and go for something svn-like. Perforce is widely used in the industry.
>>
>>61611499
Setup a shared folder within the network and just work on separate classes and assets, then compile from time to time to test.
>>
>>>/r9k/38685915
>>
>>61611499
Git
>>
>>61613350
Alternatively, Unity collaborate
>>
>>61611499
ignore file
>>
Tell me u don't use C#
>>
svn if working alone, else git
>>
I prefer git, but work I use perforce with 100+ ppl
>>
>>61613979
Tell me you don't use JS
>>
>>61611499
>what is a better engine to do this
engine has nothing to do with how you collaborate and share work.

if you want a quick shitty way, just sync a google drive folder and give your partner access. make a special folder for yourself for things you're currently working on, and make it read only.
>>
Ideally, you will want to segregate things so that you can work on different parts of the game without stepping on one another's toes. This is true of any software project, and one of the reasons for why merging branches can be difficult.

Specific to unity, you may find it useful to use additive scene loading so that you can load in different game/level components incrementally. What this buys you is the ability to make a scene a "system" scene and a different scene a "level" scene. A programmer can modify the system scene in a separate project while a designer creates level scenes in a different project. They can then export the scene and related assets and import that back into the programmer project (or a central project) for testing. The system scenes loads a level scene on top. Such a strategy will probably want to read up on the DontDestroyOnLoad gameobject flag.

It's often useful to explore editor scripting, as well as scriptableobjects. A programmer can build productivity tools quickly inside the editor. It's a handy way to waste time while designers are dicking around.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.