[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Monitors and eye health

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 0722.jpg (22KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
0722.jpg
22KB, 650x433px
What should one look for when it comes to getting a monitor that does not rape your fucking eyes after long sessions.

Which types of panel is the best for your eyes? (TN, VA &Co or IPS &Co)

Which screen coating is best? Light, Medium or no coating (glossy)?
True 8/10 bit or x bit+FRC - does it matter when it comes to eyestrain?
What PPI/DPI is the most comfy? Are larger than 24" tiring for the eyes (big light source)?
Does gamma shift (TN/VA panels) matter? does it affect the human eye's ability to perceive the image?
Is PWM actually bad for your eyes or is " Flicker Free" just marketing crap?
Is IPS glow that bad when used in a dimly lit room?
How important is accurate color representation if you're not doing color critical work?
Is a high contrast ratio (>2000:1) good for your eyes or bad ?

So many useless consumer threads. How about shit that actually matters, your fucking eyesight.
>>
One that supports Night Light filters.
>>
>>61580047
Most monitors have a low blue light feature nowadays. Plus theres RedShift/f.lux on the software side.
>>
>>61580027
Sitting at a proper distance, having the brightness set correctly, and having the room brightly lit will all help. The type of monitor doesn't really matter.
>>
My eyes are the same with perfect health after years in front of my IPS monitors, day and night.
>>
>>61580027
IPS, I'd say, because of minimal viewing angle shift to screw with your brain.
>>61580027
>Which screen coating is best? Light, Medium or no coating (glossy)?
Medium anti-glare, I'd say. Enough to diffuse reflections, but not so much that it looks grainy.
>True 8/10 bit or x bit+FRC - does it matter when it comes to eyestrain?
Not sure about the eye/brain risks here, but obviously true 8-bit is better than anything that utilizes some sort of screwery. Other than cost, there's no reason not to be true 8-bit.
>What PPI/DPI is the most comfy? Are larger than 24" tiring for the eyes (big light source)?
This is really a preference/eyesight thing. You need to figure it out based on personal experience.
>Does gamma shift (TN/VA panels) matter? does it affect the human eye's ability to perceive the image?
It drives me insane, but I don't think it's actually a health risk beyond going insane from autism. An exception might be putting a TN panel in portrait mode, because the severe vertical viewing angle shift becomes a severe horizontal viewing angle shift, which basically means your eyes are each seeing a different image and it totally fucks with your brain.
>Is PWM actually bad for your eyes or is " Flicker Free" just marketing crap?
This is one thing that I feel could easily cause strain/headaches. I have seen no disadvantage to PWM-free dimming, so I think it should be a given.
>Is IPS glow that bad when used in a dimly lit room?
No experience on this one. Mine has an ATW polarizer so it's gloriously glow-free.
>How important is accurate color representation if you're not doing color critical work?
I'm fine with something that's pretty close, but anything significantly off drives me crazy even though I don't do anything critical/professional. Again, just an autism issue and not really a health risk.
>Is a high contrast ratio (>2000:1) good for your eyes or bad ?
Higher the better, but not really a health issue, just an annoyance to see glow in a dark room.
>>
>>61580027
not crt, coating doesn't matter, dithering can do something a little
>>61580047
>>61580074
literally a huge meme
>>
>>61580027
It doesn't matter what they are, what matters is your gene.
>>
The best you can do is just have the light low, and make sure you sit far back.
>>
Monitors are 3 times healthier than sun
>>
File: 1425006114741.gif (3MB, 244x250px) Image search: [Google]
1425006114741.gif
3MB, 244x250px
>>61580027
>that aspect ratio
Who genuinely thinks this is a good idea? just get a swivel monitor.
>>
>>61580261
this post is 3.4 times worse than a shitpost.
>>
>>61580027
The answer to most of these questions is "it doesn't matter."

>Which screen coating is best? Light, Medium or no coating (glossy)?
Matte coating is best. It doesn't matter much if it's medium or very aggressive, what's important is that the screen isn't a mirror. Glossy screens can wind up fucking with how you focus on the picture, which causes eyestrain.
>Is IPS glow that bad when used in a dimly lit room?
Not really. It only appears when the monitor is displaying very dark (almost pure black) images. How bad it is depends on the monitor.
That said, I advice against using your monitor in a dimly lit room for other reasons.

What matters the most to mitigating eyestrain is the matte coating and your monitor's brightness. Brightness should be set to the lowest setting that is comfortable to look at, optimally equal to the other light in the room.
In terms of brightness, looking at your monitor should be somewhat like looking at a piece of paper; Neither brighter nor darker than other objects around it. This is why it's generally advised that you do not use your monitor in a dimly lit room, as the monitor will be too bright to achieve this.

>Is PWM actually bad for your eyes or is " Flicker Free" just marketing crap?
It's not marketing crap. But whether it's bad for YOUR eyes is something you have to figure out for yourself. Some people are sensitive to this and need these "flicker free" monitors, but most won't see any flickering. If you don't notice any flickering with a PWM monitor, then you're fine.

t. someone who owns a triple monitor setup and has never had trouble with eyestrain
>>
>>61580771
Depends what you eat the night before.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.