[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/, I was thinking about making a permanent storage unit with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: micro_height[1].jpg (35KB, 464x289px) Image search: [Google]
micro_height[1].jpg
35KB, 464x289px
/g/, I was thinking about making a permanent storage unit with paper, a galvo and a laser. The laser would burn a dot or no dot on a grid and I could read the files from that.

I don't need fast write or read speeds, I just want to keep my files for ever.

What's the best media to use? I don't want to use paper as it goes beige after a while
>>
>>61578996
punchcards
>>
what you're looking for is magnetic tapes
>>
I'm thinking of calling it LaserPaper
>>
>>61578996
>Not writing your code in stone on giant pyramids
>>
>>61578996
bump[
>>
>>61579007
Fpbp
>>
They did that kind of stuff in the 90's
A special program printed out all this
gibberish (or sent it via fax) and you scanned
it back in to get your files back.
However, reliability is NOT one of its
strengths.
>>
>>61578996
If you dont care about read/write speeds, use your backyard as the grid. Carry a small boulder and place it in a space for a "1"

Go on, test it out now with your 1TB of homosexual erotica movies.
>>
yeah its called blu ray
>>
>last forever
>paper
A better idea would be burning dots in a layer of metal, a small film of metal that you put on top of a transparent disk of plastic. It would be relatively small so I would call it compact disk, or CD for short.
>>
>>61578996
http://ollydbg.de/Paperbak/
>>
>>61579220
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC
>>
>>61578996
I would just go with magnetic tapes if you're planning on going that hard. If you're set on the paper cataloging, you could use cardstock.
>>
>>61579007
fpbp

But punchcards are made of paper. OP wants to keep his files forever and paper become brittle after a while.

I would recommend not using paper, but instead use Vellum which is the "paper" that medieval manuscripts were written on which were made from goat skin. There are manufacturers in the UK that still makes real Vellum because the UK government writes all new laws on vellum. But remember that most "vellum" you can buy is just paper. Find real Vellum. It could potentially last a few thousand years or more.
>>
depends on how strong laser is. If your laser can etch into slate, I would recommend that. Any sort of Igneous rock will do really, but slate is extra monochromatic.
>>
>>61581464
M-Disc sounds great, but I read some reveiws where they said, "mmm, i dunno, maybe, but ..."
I would cite my sources but the margin is too narrow to contain them.
>>
>>61581460
holy shit dude. i'm gonna patent that!
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.