[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Improve Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: linux-logo-600x300.png (41KB, 505x250px) Image search: [Google]
linux-logo-600x300.png
41KB, 505x250px
Just though about something Linux needs. Whenever I handle rather large files on linux or actually do something that requires more ressources things kind of freeze on Linux. Since I'm doing things I'm aware and let the application finish what it's doing and have it unfreeze by itself but thinking about it, it's not a nice way of doing things. I think, linux needs a better way of handling things.

How about a general "I'm busy" something. I mean I don't want the screen go gray and a spinning mouse cursor like OSX does shit, I mean a way for applications to gracefully indicate it's doing something instead of just freeze.

What does /g/ think? Any Linux Programmers present?
>>
Gnome needs to die
>>
>>61565150
It's dying since 3.0 Release. Anything to say related to the thread?
>>
Look up ulatencyd. It makes the system responsive under heavy loads.
>>
>>61565136
I don't have that problem. If one of my applications "locks up", I can just switch tags/workspaces and do something else. Worst case scenario you switch ttys.

Have you tried using the XFS filesystem? Moves large files like a champ.
>>
>>61565136
so you are saying you want linux kernel with windows ui?
>>
>>61568481
I'm saying I want a general interface in the kernel that can manage ressources including UI so a "lock up" doesn't happen.

I think it's the primary function of a kernel to handle ressources. It's only natural to extent for this.
>>
>>61565136
use BFQ
>>
File: 1491979693385.jpg (126KB, 604x516px) Image search: [Google]
1491979693385.jpg
126KB, 604x516px
>>61565136
I use Fedora 25 with XFCE and ext4, and my main partition is encrypted. I've never encountered anything like this and it handles multitasking like that just fine, though I haven't transferred any files over USB bigger than 20GB. So can you provide any information about your system and software other than it using the Linux kernel? I'll try to recommend something. A screenfetch would actually be helpful.

My only real gripe is a lack of thumbnails in the browser file picker.

>>61565150
I agree. It's pretty terrible and people just keep duct taping shells over it (looking at you Canonical).

>>61568720
Please provide screenfetch. Have you tried updating and turning it off and on again?
>>
>>61571180
>screenfetch
fuck off with your datamining. I also don't care if you go all out "works for me". I got this on all my linux machines, if you "can't reproduce it" you're not running linux.
>>
>>61568720
>wants KernelD
>is that you satan?
let's handle one D at the time
>>
>>61572098
And this, kids, is why we don't try to help people on /g/.
>>
>>61572098
My mistake for trying to help you at all. I wouldn't have replied at all if I knew you were literally retarded. Nobody is trying to data mine you based on what hardware and OS version you have. I can't replicate this on any of my Fedora or Debian machines, so you're either using a conflicting program or it's a user error. Please kill yourself.

>>61572818
Helping people on /g/ is a good thing. It strengthens the community. Some of these assholes from reddit and /v/ are just braindead.
>>
File: hand-3.jpg (53KB, 710x766px) Image search: [Google]
hand-3.jpg
53KB, 710x766px
>>61565150
>>
>>61565150
i kinda understand this meme for systemd but switching to another DE is way too easy. just use something else you fucking autistic mongoloid.
>>
>>61572869
> "these assholes"

I wonder what (you) meant by that?
>>
>>61573029
The world may never know.
>>
Handling really large images:
You can trade disk space for ram.....
convert mybigassimage.jpg mybigassimage.mpc
convert mybigassimage.mpc -resize 50% resized.jpg
convert mybigassimage.mpc -rotate 90 rotated.jpg
...etc...
rm -f mybigassimage.mpc mybigassimage.cache
See http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/files/#mpc
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.