[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gentoo vs Slackware

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

Which of these distros is better and why?
- - -
Because Ubuntu is boring and I have no life
>>
http://distrowatch.com/remixos
Void Linux
>>
>>61558809
you can install gentoo without systemd
>>
>>61558809
>>61558854

Slackware doesn't use systemd either.
>>
>>61558736
gentoo:
be retarded and compile everything from source for zero fucking reason

slackware:
carefully yet reasonably manage every bit of software on your system, no dependencies being downloaded that you don't know about, because you do it yourself.
>>
>>61560045
You get the convenience and ease of automatic updating and dependencies management with gentoo and a slim minimal install over slackware 10 GB installs
>>
>>61560112
Fuck off. There aren't enough reason to justify gentoo. Only "hacker" wanna be retards use gentoo
>>
>>61560045
install gentoo
>>
>>61561416
Gentoo: compiling...
Slackware: dependencies of dependencies of dependencies...

Void is the right answer
>>
>>61561402
Oh, you mean like spending hours managing dependencies and installing software via ncurses or shell script installers? Yeah, slackware totally isn't a hacker wanna distro either.
>>
>>61560045
Slackware fantatic here. I just want to point out that, while not source based, most external packages available for slackware are distributed in the form of slackbuilds; i.e. CRUX-esque scripts for building from source. Slackbuilds.org is kind of an officially endorsed unofficial repository for slack software.

>>61560112
Slackware does have a package manager, in fact, and it makes things really easy, actually. It's called slackpkg, and it basically synchronizes with the official repo. It's also useful for tracking and removing packages that don't belong to the official repository.

>>61562144
>>61561402
I use both Slackware and Gentoo because they're reliable and consistent. I would use Slackware before I use an enterprise distro like Fedora. My sysadmin friend uses Slackware because he's obsessed with OpenSolaris and considers Slackware to be the only GNU/Linux distro genuinely comparable with other UNIXes.

Neither are perfect, but, in my opinion, they're really good for what they're worth.
>>
>>61560112
If you read the manual, it'll explain to you that you can get your slackware install down to under a few MB, if need be.

Really, though, the whole "too many packages" argument is stupid and really only a strawman argument for Arch users to justify their bloated packages. If you're using an OS for your desktop, why would you care how many packages you have? Obviously, there's a difference between a lot of packages and just plain excessive, but Slackware sets generally just contain libraries and dependencies you're going to need, anyway, if you're going to actually be productive with you computer in some measurable way. It's a means to an end. I should rather have a hundred more packages than starve myself of functionality just to validate myself in front of a bunch of strangers on The Internet.
>>
File: 1427510742903.png (363KB, 440x340px) Image search: [Google]
1427510742903.png
363KB, 440x340px
>>61560045
>carefully yet reasonably manage every bit of software on your system
On a binary distro...
>>
>>61562092
The fact that you would endorse Void in that way just shows how ignorant you are.

The best part about Void is xbps-src, followed by runit. Void doesn't even have that many packages, so you're going to have to build from source, anyway.
>>
>>61562092
>>61558847
I don't understand the comparisons between Void, Slackware, and Gentoo. They're totally different distros that solve totally different solutions. Yes, you might use Void or even Gentoo for embedded systems, but where does Slack even fit in? Apples and oranges.
>>
>>61562297
>Look into slackware
>Some software I want have depdendencies with those having depdendecies
>I have to manage 30+ depdendencies just for one program when I can type a single command into gentoo to do all that for me
>>
>>61562543
>i dont want control and/or am unable to install a package manager
okay then slack isnt for you
>>
>>61562650
And who says that you got control with slackware? When the upstream controls when you have new dependencies, you don't actually have control.
>>
>>61562680
>dont install dependency
>jusswerks
>>
>>61562688
>Dependency is made to be mandatory and you can't compile without it
>>
>>61562704
theres an easy solution, just not for you i suppose
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.