[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

raspberry pi general - /rpg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10

File: blink.webm (567KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
blink.webm
567KB, 1280x720px
What are you working on, /g/?

I am working my way through this tutorial:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/raspberrypi/tutorials/os/

Just started yesterday and finished lesson 1 and 2. Webm related - it's a blinking act LED
>>
>>61550692
Just ordered another three for the NAS I'm assembling inside my asshole
>>
Fuck SJWpi. Filthy commies.
>>
>>61550699
Nice, how do you power them? How much storage do you got?
>>
>>61550711
I really don't care about their politics, I want their $5 computers.
>>
>>61550711
I can imagine an autist writing this
>>
Never used or had a RaspPi. Is it a good device for learning about electricity? I've never been able to get an intuitive understanding of how electricity works(I'm not talking about a complete one).

Are there resources that would help one play with RapberryPi and at the same time learn about electricity?
>>
>>61550692
I used it to host a tor relay and a website, but the ISP jews blocked my ports or idk.

>>61550882
>electricity
If you want to learn "actual" electricity, like how different power supplies work, it's really not the best resource. I always see practical electronics for inventors recommended for beginners, you may want to check that out.
>>
Can something like a Raspberry Pi 3 be connected to a monitor and just display a digital clock and a wallpaper? (sort of like the Windows 10 screensaver)
>>
>>61550882
Arduino prolly better
>>
>>61551023
Yeah but it'd be way overpowered for that.
You could get away with that on a way cheaper SoC - maybe look at the banana pis
>>
Planning on making a Retropie Briefcase with a portable monitor made from an Ipad 1 display. Still gathering the materials.

>>61551023
Yes, if you have more time and money to spare you can even build a smart mirror. Look it up on youtube for some examples.
>>
File: 81Shxf4IITL._SL1500_.jpg (397KB, 1500x1136px) Image search: [Google]
81Shxf4IITL._SL1500_.jpg
397KB, 1500x1136px
>>61550882
>>
I use mine to run a mopidy server with a web client front-end for my speakers in the living room.
It's good to not leave your phone by the speakers, it's better at parties.

I also had one solar powered in our festival speaker running this stuff: https://github.com/AsbjornOlling/justify
>>
>>61550882
Get yourself a breadboard, build simple circuits.

Learn about electrical components and logic gates.

Try diving into some atmel AVR stuff. Try ASM before C. Trust me.
>>
wanted to run an ethereum node on mine but took way too fucking long

now i want to just get a little screen and learn to program on it
>>
>>61551023
No, it's literally impossible.
>>
>>61551225
:^)
>>
File: 025528.webm (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
025528.webm
3MB, 1080x1920px
>>
File: 1440442593586.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1440442593586.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>61550943
Right, thanks.
>>61551035
Yeah, I think you might be right, going closer to the metal is probably a good idea.
>>61551066
That looks FUN!
>>61551202
I've already coded in C, I even wrote my own linux kernel module, but I haven't done C in like 6 years. I wouldn't mind writing some ASM if it'll help me understand the machine at a deeper level.
>>
File: 0943062.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
0943062.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>
im just gonna go out on a limb and assume making a cloud server that can be accessed through a website isnt the hardest thing to do?
but any tips none the less
>>
>>61551254
s-so this is the power of the raspberry pi
>>
>>61551277
>chip only
>crystal, caps, resistors right there
literal macfag
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (2MB, 2974x2928px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
2MB, 2974x2928px
Trail Camera - had it working fine but power consumption wasn't as low as I wanted so I'm in the middle of redesigning it.

Also trying to put a arduino and some sensors into a poundland solar garden light.
>>
>>61551652
>trail cam
>no cam
what in the world
sounds like you need to read the datasheet, timers and interrupts section
>>
>>61551695
naw, thats the solar sensor thingy - trailcam is kinda disassembled - I'll take a pic tho
>>
>>61551705
oh damn, if you are running that much shit off a solar panel you definitely need timer, interrupt on tick, deep sleep when done
i dont use avr so can't give any specific pointers
>>
File: DSCN1131-Edit.jpg (2MB, 6912x4608px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1131-Edit.jpg
2MB, 6912x4608px
>>61551779
aye, that was the plan - use a mosfet to power all the sensors/sdcard down between readings, put the arduino in power down state and use the watchdog timer to wake it - wasn't planning on taking readings any faster than once an hour, so might work out,

Thats the camera - was using that usb power bank on left, gets ~30hrs which isn't bad - but was thinking of using arduino + mosfet to turn the pi on on motion - pi stays awake and does its thing taking pics/vids, no motion for 5 minutes it lets the arduino turn it off again - hopefully get an even longer life on 2 x 18650s
>>
>>61551881
whats the bit off to the side? IR LED? mm a pi recording video would need some power. do you need video or would like 1 fps photos be enough
you could dma images from the camera to sdcard and basically put the main processor to sleep while that was transferring
kind of interested to try that now, see if you can capture images from a camera with just dma and interrupts, would use barely any power
>>
File: IRtest.jpg (2MB, 3888x5184px) Image search: [Google]
IRtest.jpg
2MB, 3888x5184px
>>61552651
aye, its an IR led lamp - two came with teh camera designed to be bolted on to it and draw power over spi - but they way they were arranged they would be always on in the dark, so i disconnected one and linked it to pi via a darlington so can turn it on/off as needed over a gpio pin myself.

video isn't a relatively massive power drain, so using that or stills is really not a big thing, something like an extra 10mA for video compared to pis 100mA, and there lies the crux of the problem. The pi really has fuck all by the way of power saving features exposed - no sleep, power down etc. best you can at idle is ~80mA with a zero which is fucking enormous compared to an arduiino.

So i figured fuck it, have an arduino take control 99% of the time when nothing is happening and use it to turn the pi on/off when something interesting goes on. True I'll miss a few seconds while the pi boots, but anything worth taking a pic of will still be around when it comes up.
>>
>>61552814
the intel edison would probably work good, kind of expensive compared to the pi but its designed to run an OS and has an arduino compatable controller on-board
https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-edison-windows
>>
File: Untitled-1.webm (3MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.webm
3MB, 1024x768px
>>61552990
aye, probably - way to rich for me tho - 6quid pi zero and 2.50quid arduino promini clone is more my speed as a neet
>>
Can I do computer vision with a raspberry pi zero? I want to make a robot that can recognize cats while driving around the house.
>>
>>61553425
>Can I do computer vision with a raspberry pi zero? I want to make a robot that can recognize cats while driving around the house.
Sure can. I compiled opencv on mine and use it for rubiks cube detection for my robot
>>
>>61553769
I was asking because I read on a blog that it took ~2-3s to do facial recognition with this hardware, which might be a bit too much for my application
>>
>>61553796
Cats will be easier than recognizing faces.
>>
>>61551066
>tfw 109 y.o.
Well, you kids have fun I guess
>>
Question:

Using Docker to make a cluster out of four raspberry pis, could one use icecream (https://github.com/icecc/icecream) to make a cluster-powered C++ compiler? Would it be worth it?
>>
>>61550882
no copy+pasting someone's code to blink some LEDs will not help you learn about electricity
>>
>>61553256
get a job loser
>>
>>61554440
What's the advantage to using Docker over something like openmpi?
>>
>>61551066
Rassberrybabies BTFO'D!
>>
>>61550711
If you have a better alternative then tell me.
>>
>>61555015
banana or orange pis anon?
>>
>>61555440
Are these meme boards compatible with the code/libraries/software used in the Raspberry Pi?
>>
>>61555467
doesnt the rpi use linux & python?
both of these ((meme boards)) run linux & thus python fine
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.