[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wall Street

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 10

File: walter-white-money.jpg (108KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
walter-white-money.jpg
108KB, 1200x675px
I work on Wall Street as a quantitative analyst (aka "quant") for a high frequency trading firm. AMA
>>
do you use gentoo
>>
>>61549493
No, sadly
>>
>>61549484
What's a woman?
>>
do you use r
>>
>>61549484
Why doesn't my dad love me?
>>
>>61549513
Funny enough, I'm actually not bad. 6/7 I'd say. With money like I have, women come easy (there are loads of singles in NYC)
>>
Communism will win.
>>
>>61549514
I have in the past but most of my work now is in Python due to better library support for some internal software we use.

>>61549517
I can do many things. I can tell you when a stock will go up or down (nano seconds in the future, but still the future). I can show you more money than you've ever dreamed about! But I cant tell you why your dad doesn't love you. For that, I am sorry!
>>
>>61549513
They're not worth it
They're disgusting and bleed from their cunt once a month
You're better off finding a sissy tranny and marrying him instead
>>
>>61549514
how are we to know you aren't just pretending
>>
>>61549536
Wouldn't that be great? Well while you're waiting in your mom's basement, I'll be up here in my high rise banging chicks and snorting coke.
>>
>Quant
t. Just finished The Big Short
>>
>>61549520
Would you make me a sandwich?
>>
what are you doing in a tech anonymous imageboard?
>>
>>61549554
Great movie! I watch it on occasion. It's good to keep the memory of 2008 alive.

>>61549556
No but if you do what I do you can pay a hooker to suck you off and make you a sandwich at the same time.

>>61549558
My job is very programming-centric. All I do is write code! (and generate charts, run simulations, train models, etc)
>>
>>61549484
What does Hebrew dick taste like?
>>
>>61549593
Jews? You get used to them. Everyone's a greedy son of a bitch here so they don't stand out at all.
>>
>>61549582
That's it. You're promoted!
>>
>>61549484
I know a Quant for Goldman. Freakishly smart, typed insanely fast, and got paid an unholy amount even as an intern.

Are they all like that?
>>
>>61549551
Have you actually done that?
>>
>>61549622
I mean not everyone is a good typist but ya you have to be very smart, very talented and very dedicated to this career. It pays well because that's the value a quant truly brings to the table.

And yes, most of my internships payed well over $100k if you multiplied my monthly pay by 12. Full time goes faaaaar beyond that haha.

>>61549631
I'm not much for drugs, but sex is nice ;)
>>
>>61549484
What's your income, will you ever get married, will you have a mistress or concurrent maidsluts? Also how'd you get educated and started?
>>
>>61549639
Income: Depends on the year. $1mil easily, best year was $5mil. I'm only a quant, not a partner. Partners and investors make way way more than I do.

Marriage: Maybe at some point. I've enjoyed being single and having one night stands.

Mistress: No never. I don't cheat

Maidsluts: If the misses approves, I don't see why not.

Education: I was in school for CS but dropped out. I instead became a REALLY good software engineer and then transitioned to an HFT firm that way. Once I was in I could prove my quant skills and then I was able to make an internal transfer, even though I didn't have a degree.
>>
>>61549637
You can have sex in communism.
>>
>>61549677
Lol ok, buddy. I like sex, I like money, I like fast cars and expensive clothes. I like being rich and I promise you too would like it if you were rich. Rich people don't want communism lmao.
>>
>>61549666
what programming language are the HFT programs programmed in

and how much do you spend on meth per week
>>
>>61549666
That's a relief to hear. The person I know from >>61549622 simply got hired on from winning a programming/math competition.

Good to know merit is still valued somewhere.
>>
>>61549693
The live trading is done almost exclusively in C++. I'm sure some firms write Assembly but I personally have not had to deal with that living hell.

The algorithms, though, are originally developed and back tested on something higher level. Python, R, MatLab and others are used because speed is less of a concern than ease of use. It's easier to play with numbers when you have access to all of this syntactic sugar.

I don't do drugs other than weed and booze.

>>61549694
Getting a degree at a top school is way easier than the path I took, I promise you that much.
>>
>>61549685
Why would you like a fast car is you would be stuck in traffic like everyboy else? Expensive clothing is just over-priced clothes and why would you need more than what you actually need?
>>
>>61549767
I can take a helicopter to New Jersey and then drive my fast cars on the open road

Why? Why does anyone want anything? The fact that you have an internet connection shows you too want things beyond your basic needs. I just happen to have more lofty wants than you do.
>>
File: ocean.png (567KB, 1095x611px) Image search: [Google]
ocean.png
567KB, 1095x611px
>>61549520
can you send me some capital, thanks senpai desu

first half
1FpWvgqMe59BGKs1

second half
n43yavXUHh2mCsj3th
>>
I want to get into quand trading or quant development (not necessarily HFT).
Is a PhD in math or physics necessary?
Are people from CS backgrounds at a disadvantage?
I thought I'd finish my bachelor's degree in software eng, and try to get into a CS master's in something math-heavy like ML. Is that a decent plan?
Is there a huge difference in how quant analysts and traders are selected vs. how quant developers are selected?
>>
>>61549484
how did you get started, and is it hard to make the jump from mechanical engineer to this? also how powerful are the machines you use, super computer level out less?
>>
>>61549484
post tits
>>
there are a lot of tip offs that OP is a larper and this is a bullshit thread
>>
>>61549824
Such as?
>>
>>61549805
Read this
>>61549666

>>61549811
see the above
Also, I have no idea. I've never been MechE. But I would say yes, it'll probably be very hard. But maybe you're super awesome! Give it a try.

Lol "supercomputer" means something very different from what I bet you think it means
>>
>>61549685
isnt there a lot of traffic in new york? how can you even drive there?
>>
>>61549832
see
>>61549786
>>
>>61549830
>CS dropout got in an HFT firm
You got in as a quand dev right? How hard was it to make the jump from developer to trader?
Do you mean to say trading firms don't have degree requirements?
By "really good software engineer" you mean C++ expert?
>>
>>61549830
do you use paralellisation to run your code? or can it all be run off single processors. is your job all signal analysis or is there more to it than that? from what I understand fluid dynamics backgrounds are popular for hft, because there's a lot of signal analysis in both
>>
>>61549840
what python libraries do you use?
>>
>>61549843
> You got in as a quand dev right? How hard was it to make the jump from developer to trader?

I was actually programming the platform itself, not a quant dev role. Pure software. And it was hard, but once you work with those people every day, it's not too bad. You just gotta show them what you can do!

> Do you mean to say trading firms don't have degree requirements?

It's a VERY rare case that someone can do what I did. I would say they require a degree, unless you can prove you didn't need it.

> By "really good software engineer" you mean C++ expert?

That's part of it (important for the interview). But also because I became a senior under 3 years (new grad at Amazon/Facebook/Google/Microsoft) and had strong references about my talent when I applied to trading firms.
>>
>/biz/
>>
>>61549786
The internet is a tool for communication. Communication is a need in my book.
>>
>>61549866
>Pure software
Which is easier to get into than quant development?
How good at math are you?
>they require a degree
But the "mandatory PhD" thing is bullshit?

How did you go from being a CS dropout to a really good software engineer?
>>
>>61549786
And they are not needs they are wants.
>>
>>61549846
Since most of our strats are about speed, single threads are faster.

There's a lot to the job. Machine learning is of course important but we also do exploratory research based off our own speculation. Develop strats and back test them. But that's only a small part of it. So much of what we do is making small optimizations to our existing strats and it gets kinda dull.

>>61549882

> Which is easier to get into than quant development?

Yes. They'll hire software engineers without degrees if they are C++ experts. Then, once youre in the company, you get to work with everyone else. You become close to the quants, show them your skill and ask about a role transfer. You'll still have to reinterview, but you not having a degree won't stop them anymore because they already trust that you're skilled.

> How good at math are you?

I mean I've never won any competitions but I also never tried lol. If you think you can make it in this industry without a strong math background, you'll be stuck on the software side forever.

> But the "mandatory PhD" thing is bullshit?

It's "mandatory" in that it's the easiest and most common path. You'll have to overcome obstacles along the way if you don't have a PhD.

> How did you go from being a CS dropout to a really good software engineer?

Self study
>>
Can you post a bank account statement or something to show you're not talking out your ass
>>
>>61549915
what stops you from running the same code at home and keeping all the profit?
>>
How does it feel to make an enormous amount of money off the backs of actual industries while providing nothing of actual use to society?

Also, how close are your offices physically to the trading floor? Is it true that there's an actual edge from being, say, a few miles away as opposed to a few hundred?
>>
>>61549915
>not having a degree won't stop them anymore
>I've never won any competitions but I also never tried
Did you study math on your own as well when you made the move from software to trading?
What fields of math are the most important to know to get into these firms?
>easiest and most common path
In the company you work for, what is the ratio of PhDs that are hired compared to those who only hold an MSc?
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (23KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
23KB, 640x400px
>>61549484
>I work on Wall Street as a quantitative analyst (aka "quant") for a high frequency trading firm. AMA

What is your opinion on where FANG is going given the reaction to Google earnings today?
I care specifically about Netflix and I got in at $150/sh.
>>
>>61549829
>Such as?

>>61549786
>I can take a helicopter to New Jersey and then drive my fast cars on the open road
>>61549732
Python, R, MatLab and others are used because speed is less of a concern than ease of use. It's easier to play with numbers when you have access to all of this syntactic sugar.
>>61549915
>Yes. They'll hire software engineers without degrees if they are C++ experts.
>>
>>61549941
Infrastructure
>>
>>61549941
Dude I would be in prison and a billion in debt if I was caught doing that. Plus I don't have access to the market direct lines nor is my computer as high powered. There's literally no way I could execute trades fast enough for the strategies to work.

>>61549949
Feels fucking fantastic!

The offices arent in the same place as the trading computers. The computers exist in the same building as the market with a direct connection to be as fast as possible. And yes, every inch of wire is more travel time and can make a difference. Any form of information advantage can help a firm turn a profit.

>>61549952

> Did you study math on your own as well when you made the move from software to trading?

Absolutely! I had to learn it somehow. MIT and Stanford have so many amazing lectures online. Plus other resources

> What fields of math are the most important to know to get into these firms?

Stats is probably the most important. But having a good, broad understanding of mathematics will only help you

>>61549955

> What is your opinion on where FANG is going given the reaction to Google earnings today?
I care specifically about Netflix and I got in at $150/sh.

Lol I'm not a day trader or a broker. I don't do research on individual companies and invest long for 20 years. I mean, I do that with m 401k but at work it's all about micro fluctuations. I don't care what the trend of a stock is if I can sell it for more money a few micro seconds later.
>>
>>61550014
>I don't care what the trend of a stock is if I can sell it for more money a few micro seconds later.

But you guys are losing to index funds....lol
>>
How does it feel to know that you'll be going out like Gaddaffi in a few years when the house of cards your kind has built finally collapses?
>>
If I google quant analyst salaries they're about $150k
Earlier you mentioned 1 mill
Is the difference made up in bonuses?
>>
>>61550034
;)

>>61550042
That's kind of low for salary but ya usually you get a few hundred grand base pay and then a yearly bonus that is way way more.
>>
>>61550033
No, hedge funds and actively manged mutual funds are losing to index funds. OP is instead helping a firm trade on super short term stock price fluctuations - i.e a hundred thousand shares of stock X are currently trading for .1 cent below where they'll being trading in another half second, so his firm buys them and then sells them almost instantaneously. It's why >>61549949 talks about not providing any actual use to society. It's just leaching off of the investors in publicly traded companies, and isn't actually investing in those companies in any real sense.
>>
>>61550061
Thanks. I was too lazy to reply lol
>>
Is it true that wall street guys exist on a diet of raw chicken necks and franks red hot sauce.
>>
>>61550076
Sure, why not
>>
>>61550061
People have always taken advantage of market timing to invest.
>>
>>61550087
how old are you?
>>
>>61550108
12. NO wait! 11
>>
How old are you?
>>
The next crash is due soon, when do you think it will happen

Also is it worth it to invest if you only have a hundred dollars or so to invest a month.
>>
>>61550090

Not quite like this, though. Market timing was generally based on an overall impression of a particular company or industry, or even the market more broadly. It involved - and still involves - looking for things that are undervalued compared to what your information and their fundamentals suggest, and buying accordingly.

High-frequency trading is basically entirely algorithmic and isn't based on an analysis of the underlying value of investments. I guess you could think of it as arbitrage but measured in micro-seconds.
>>
I just turned 23 a couple days ago. I have an Associates of Science with honors. Beyond that though I've read hundreds of different books on finance, on my own time. I'm also a licensed Mortgage Loan Originator. I've been NEET for an entire year (wealthy family), but I did finish community college in that time.

Last job I had, I worked at a mortgage brokerage and got fired after 1 month, because the bosses ex-husband was applying for a loan, I saw his/her divorce decree in the paper, and saw that she was awarded 90% of the guys cash assets. Dude was making 400k a year, I went through his taxes. She knew that I saw her dirty laundry. She fired me and told me that I don't belong in the industry and that I smell bad. Is this what the adult world is like?

Ever since then, I've been pursuing IT, which I should have done in the first place. All my friends went into IT. One of them is a software engineer at Goldman, another one is a network engineer. My last 2 classes I took were an intro to programming and formal logic, which I got A's in.

All I want to know is... What does it take? What does it take to stick it out in IT and actually get fucking paid money? I'm so sick of constantly putting myself out there and getting rejected. My girlfriend is an OTA making 30$ an hour, and I sit at home all day studying for certs and improving my skills.

I'm so fucking tired of being NEET. I'm sick of not fucking earning money. I'm not lazy either, it's just that every twist and turn in my life in an attempt to better my situation has been decimated by narcissists in positions of authority above me.

Can you give me any advice OP? Any honest motivation? I've been studying for certs like 5+ hours, daily.
>>
>>61550131
I'm not good at speculating such things. Though if it does happen, I hope Trump is still in office. That way both parties can be responsible for a major bank bail out!

I mean, sure? But if you already don't have a lot of money, I would first save up enough cash for an emergency fund
>>
>>61550014
Did you really learn as much as a math major through Stanford and MIT OCW?
>Stats
Doesn't sound too hard.
I've heard about firms applying pretty much every kind of math to finance, is it common?
>>
>>61550140
>She fired me and told me that I don't belong in the industry and that I smell bad. Is this what the adult world is like?

If you actually smell bad, then yes, this is what it's like. Take a shower every morning and you'll do better.
>>
>>61550140
I genuinely can't tell if this is a real comment or some pasta that I just haven't seen yet

>>61550148
Pretty much, man. I mean I'm not young! It took me a long time to get here. And in that time I learned a lot on my own.

> I've heard about firms applying pretty much every kind of math to finance, is it common?

What?
>>
>>61549937
He has a tripcode newfag, what else do you need?
>>
>>61550186

This is my genuine comment. I'm serious. I'm actually heartfelt asking you for advice, because if your thread is serious, then you've made it.
>>
>>61550200
I mean it didn't happen over night. Also, I didn't fail out of school. I was very good at school, it was simply boring for me. Please prove me wrong, but I don't think you'll ever be able to land a job at a top firm.
>>
>>61549484
When the day comes and people are shoving you into the guillotine do you want to be face up or face down?
>>
>>61550210
guzzle my cummies

c u @ centurion club
>>
>>61550224
Face up. I want to see the sky as I die
>>
How can I show I'm good at math? Should I just try and get some papers published?
>>
>>61550210

I'm not even interested in working at a top firm. I'm not looking to make a million dollars per year. When my parents die, I will inherit multiple millions in cash and assets. That's in the far far future though.

I'm just tired of being NEET man. I'm literally just looking for something that I can earn like 80k~+ a year even, desu.
>>
>>61550245
Do you have a degree?

>>61550248
If you just want money and you're a weeb, you can go teach English in Japan. Free housing and enough pay to cover other living expenses. Since you dont need to care about saving money for your future, maybe that's a valid path for you?
>>
>>61550258

Otaku/weeb culture doesn't appeal to me at all. I haven't watched anime since I was 15.

It's upsetting seeing that I put in as much work into life as all of my other friends, and they've excelled ahead and they all have jobs.

I dunno. My current path is to get the comptia trifecta and see where that leads me. Maybe I'll get a department of defense job or something.

I'm just really tired of my current situation. Tired of my parents having to buy everything for me. Tired of sitting alone in my room.

I hope your life goes well man and you enjoy it, I mean that sincerely.
>>
>>61550258
Yes in CS. I took putnam for fun and got 80 percentile.
Now there's no way to show I'm alright at math.
>>
>>61550297
Maybe get an MFE?
>>
what should i invest 20k in

and

on a scale of 10 to 10, how great is trump
>>
>>61550421
If you only have 20k, keep it in cash. You may need it in an emergency

Trump is 1/10 as president but 10/10 as a presidential candidate. He was a lot of fun, but I never wanted him to win (didn't vote for him!) and he's shown pure incompetence since taking office.
>>
>>61549484
>Quant
>On 4chan
Idiots falling for bait
>>
What would you do if you lost a leg?
>>
>>61550470
Ride in a wheel chair?
>>
>>61550475
What if you lost an eye following such event?
>>
>>61550441
you've lost all credibility.
>>
>>61550305
Are these even useful
>>
>>61549484
Do you have Jewish blood running in you, eternally searching and yearning for more shekels
>>
>>61550455
Why is that so unbelievable? Quants aren't unicorns.
>>
>>61550497
Not completely. But it gives you time to learn the math and helps you grow your network in the industry. Also allows you to apply for internships which are easier to get and you can convert those to full time

>>61550499
Nope. 100% English blood
>>
Still there OP?
The way your posts read, you sound like a type a personality. Is that the kind of person companies like yours want for only your job, or across the board?
>>
>>61550520
Lolno. Most people are super antisocial
>>
File: IMG_4068.jpg (17KB, 361x407px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4068.jpg
17KB, 361x407px
>>61550506
A real quant is 30+ and doesn't have time to post on a Finnish dildo crafting board. Basic statistics skills take 8-10 years to learn. OP is probably a back office cuck intern nowhere near the real money
>>61550455
This. Fucking /g/ are all idiots

t. Credit Suisse intern making 65k CHF/year
>>
>>61550535
Kek I take it you haven't been around many Wall Street types. In general they're no more mature than the average /g/entooman and can dick around and waste time with the best of them.
>>
>>61549484
Is it true you and your coworkers go through an avalanche of cocaine and regularly attend orgies populated by high-class escorts?
>>
>>61550548
Idiot we are not talking about the sale side here but the research side. Sale side is nerfed af
>>
>>61550552
Not in my neck of the woods. I work with all nerds. I imagine if I was a trader or broker at an investment bank, my life would be a bit different
>>
>>61550441
>someone in trading hates Trump
Biggest bullshit in this thread.
>>
>>61550514
Can you get a stem PhD after an MFE or is the math not high level enough?
>>
>>61550558
Sales side infects the quant side though. There's more reasons than money that the WS quants left academia.
>>
>>61550535
>Basic statistics skills take 8-10 years to learn
What? Please explain. A master's in stats is only two years.
>>
>>61549791
did he send you anything or is he just a liar?
>>
>>61550563
He's an idiot, what can I say? I didn't like Hillary either. Johnson 2016 was my hero!

>>61550565
Honestly no idea. I dont even have a BS.
>>
File: 1499621829439.jpg (56KB, 583x435px) Image search: [Google]
1499621829439.jpg
56KB, 583x435px
>>61550565
Go physics/applied math that's what got me in the door. MFE or CS don't cut it
>>
>>61550579
Even theory cs?
>>
/g/ - Business & Finance
>>
File: LEVELS.png (22KB, 992x527px) Image search: [Google]
LEVELS.png
22KB, 992x527px
>>61550572
Even calling yourself a data scientist without 8-10 years under your belt is a joke, look at the job descriptions. But you are required to understand how the distribution works and why it came to be not just copy pasting formulas like many stat programs teach. Building from this knowledge, you can model almost anything and they work since you grasp the basic fundamentals thoroughly well and have a different world view. I'm still a protégé though and this is what my bosses tell me. Although I've seen pretty weird models that blew my mind and generate much money.
>>
File: 1489964428592.png (275KB, 812x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1489964428592.png
275KB, 812x1200px
>>61550600
If you go this route. You wont touch money. You will be the guy to write the database adapter, exchange adapter, backtester and so. You also earn less money and so. It's really hard since you will be programming after market network cards und FPGA devices, doing really hard work for pennies in comparison to the other people
>>
>>61550645
People have found new field of math in less time than that. Why would it take a decade just to qualify to be a statistician?
>>
>>61550666
He's from Switzerland, where the whole 'earn your stripes and slowly work your way up' mentality is super strong. As opposed to the USA where we'll throw money at anyone we think might be able to help us make more money.
>>
>>61549484
What do you add to society or the economy?
>>
>>61550579
How do you get in an applied math MS without a math background though
>>
>>61550797
nothing. Why do I have to?
>>
>>61550808
I think you've answered my question, thanks
>>
>>61550808
In the long term, spending a life in which you take more than you contribute is soul crushing and empty. Though in the short term it can be fun and pleasurable.
>>
>>61550849
Keep telling yourself that while I retire early and live on the beach, having fun
>>
>>61550861
That sounds like fun in the short term
>>
i am a complete retard when it comes to computers , i dont know the difference rom facebook to myspace , but i am hugnry for a hood paying job and im willing to put n the work , is there hope for me ? or is this something that require some special born talent ? autism ?
>>
>>61550917
I mean at a minimum you have to be good at math... If you suck at math, you'll suck at anything computer related and anything finance related
>>
>>61550861
Hah! I'm actually pretty decently off (own a nice house in Southern California, have a good wife, a cute dog, a fulfilling and decently paying job that involves contributing to society, etc). In the past I had a pretty big income that didn't involve producing anything of value, and while it was materially rewarding it also left my feeling pretty empty and without meaning. Materialism and consumption are dead ends after a certain point.

I'll be able to happily retire as well; fwiw I wish you the best of luck in maintaining happiness and having fun.
>>
>applied math
>statistics
>CS
>MFE
What's the best for employers
>>
>>61550944
The best? Win the International Math Olympiad.
>>
>>61550947
The best in my list I mean
>>
>>61550951
For undergrad? It depends on your objective. I have a CS bias. I would go with CS and then get a masters in applied math focusing on financial markets. But I'm not really the person to ask since I dont have a degree and I never spent much time in academia
>>
>>61550961
For grad school, applied math is the best then, not statistics?
I'm not good enough for pure math or physics.
>>
>>61550966
If you arent good enough to get a degree, you arent good enough to get a job in this industry.
>>
>>61550971
A master's in pure math or physics is hard as fuck m8. I trust my ability to complete any other degree but I'm not smart enough for those two.
>>
>>61550925
i guess i am destined for slave wage, i suck at math , if i was 15 again maybe i would dedicate into learning it well , but now my brain is too old and used up

enjoy that money , just remember to keep some saved for raining day just incase, dont do drugs , exercise atleast 4 items a week havea good one OP
>>
>>61549484
Fucking spooks. Kill yourself jew before we do
>>
>>61550645
I don't get it
You can spend four years studying statistics in college yet you wouldn't be qualified to call yourself a statistician?
>>
do the material pleasures you receive compensate for the fact that your work is fundamentally worthless and destructive?
>>
>>61550563
Not everybody judges political candidates by the metric of what's going to be best for their own bottom line.
>>
File: герме-с-2007.jpg (34KB, 428x600px) Image search: [Google]
герме-с-2007.jpg
34KB, 428x600px
Would you dedicate your life to the cause of fascism?
>>
>>61549637
>payed

Op is a nigger with the imagination to match it.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>61549540
how do i into forex desu
are there even any ecns for plebs or it's all market makers
>>
>larping this hard
just fuck my board up
>>
>>61550087
how often do you jerk off
>>
File: blackscholes.png (46KB, 496x203px) Image search: [Google]
blackscholes.png
46KB, 496x203px
I'm interested in this job currently finishing a BA in Pure Math

Can I get in without a Ph.D? What's the best masters to pursue if I want to get a quant or quant type job?

Is an MFE worth it? Or should I pursue something like Numerical Analysis or Operations Research?
>>
>>61549666
most programmers start out with dreams of I WANNA MAKE VIDEO GAMES, so question: If you did start out with this common goal, would you ever use your current money to fund a small indie dream project yourself? I think a lot of programmers in your situation would, but something like that is easier said than done.
>>
OP is it true that the HFT guys buy overclocked servers because they gotta go fast? I read a story about that way back when but then never heard about it again.
>>
>>61549786
>I can take a helicopter to New Jersey and then drive my fast cars on the open road
give a few commies a helicopter ride for good ol Pinochet while you're at it
>>
>>61549484
/g/ is not your personal blog
>>
File: 1452994989033.png (112KB, 294x256px) Image search: [Google]
1452994989033.png
112KB, 294x256px
>>61553772
>most programmers start...
most shitty programmers*
>>
>>61553891
you telling me you didn't want to work for Nintendo as a kid? Fuck off.
>>
>>61553924
maybe for one day. they are just video games, fag. not much going on there
>>
What's the best algo for trading? Or actually algo is not matter when you can trade like very fast?
>>
What recommendations do you have for someone with a chemistry undergrad with his CFA level 1? How can I break into capital markets?
>>
Most quants I've met were hired through the intern process. Goldman has on-campus interviews for interns, but we're talking mostly Ivy League schools. Direct quant hires need an exemplary multiyear successful record of contributions to profitable systems or complex architecture upgrades at other firms. Certificates and grades are meaningless.

Google quant recruiters in NYC, Chicago, Boston. Ask what they're looking for.
>>
>>61553891
This. It should start with a fascinating for programming period
>>
>>61549484
lol kid, i bullied you on IRC
>>
>>61549484
You're full of shot OP.
I'm tipping at best your a desk assistant
>>
>>61549484
nvidia or amd?
>>
>>61550138
Actually when the first trans Atlantic Telegraph line were put in the owners used them to invest quickly between the NY and London markets
>>
>>61550573
a liar, I got nothing, check the blockchain
>>
>>61550514
>Nope. 100% English blood

Completely unexpected.

Completely.
Thread posts: 164
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.