[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: kde-vs-gnome.png (43KB, 425x220px) Image search: [Google]
kde-vs-gnome.png
43KB, 425x220px
Well?
>>
The best fully featured desktop environment for any use vs. a crappy GUI for tablets.

Gee, I wonder.
>>
They both have a fairy large footprint on system resources.
KDE is loaded with features, though.
Gnome on the other hand... doesn't really do anything. You may as well you may as well use openbox and remove half you're ram and throw it in the garbage.
>>
Gnome is the most bloated program that does absolutely nothing.
>>
>>61544759
If you consider the amount of features it has to offer, KDE is extremely light. Especially if you turn off the compositing.
>>
>>61544686
Gnome is more aesthetically pleasing. KDE is 2007 in design aesthetics.
>>
>>61544686
KDE for now. I hope after Ubuntu starts releasing official Gnome versions all this Gnome bullshit will get polished.

Currently I have to use multiple extensions to make it usable. Shame.
>>
I don't really know where to begin, if you want to compare features.
And before I'm finished, KDE devs will have added 3 more, and gnome devs removed 2.
>>
>>61544686
KDE is desktop environment.

Gnome is tablet environment.
>>
All these reasons are pretty much why I use KDE. Gnome is okay, but as someone has already said, it takes a shit ton of tweaks and extensions to even be comfy, and the devs remove basic features like panel bar icon support because they have sticks up their ass. It's terribly designed. I know KDE has a ton of flaws, but it works really well for me and I don't feel like I'm fighting my DE.
>>
KDE, definitely.

I had been using GNOME for some time. The huge buttons, touch design in mind and the inconsistencies between the look of GTK and QT programs was annoying, but tolerable as an alternative to figuring out an entirely new DE.

But when for some reason the snappy search menu became utter shit going from GNOME 3.14 to 3.22, it was time to switch.
>>
>>61544848
/thread
>>
>>61544777
Trips say the truth
>>
If you want a DE that doesn't pull in 300 packages, get Enlightenment
>>
>>61544686
Tmux
>>
KDE >>>>>> GNOME.
Everything > GNOME. I don't even particularly care for KDE.
>>
>>61544686

KDE (at least for me)
>>
lightweight DEs > tiling WMs > heavy DEs > shit > gnome
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-11_16-44-14.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-11_16-44-14.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>61544686
Neither
>>
Here's the real question.

What's the best terminal emulator? Don't say xterm.
>>
>>61545541
Konsole
>>
>>61545541
urxvt
>>
File: 0d6.png (595KB, 600x597px) Image search: [Google]
0d6.png
595KB, 600x597px
>>61545998
>>
>>61544686
They're both complete garbage
>>
KDE is comfy
>>
>>61544686
xfce
>>
>>61545541
xfce terminal
>>
probably KDE once that shit actually works with Nvidia GPU's, I always get horrible screen tearing, weird Qt artifacts, and secondary displays don't detect
>>
KDE is the most unstable piece of shit I've ever used (using vanilla KDE Neon). Everything is broken. Plasma shell crashes multiple times per day.

Gnome is more stable (though not perfectly so; it still crashes about once per week). Performance could be better too.
>>
>>61544686
Cinnamon
>>
After all these years, the old memes stay true.

KDE is unstable crashing buggy shit.
GNOME devs are retarded pricks and GNOME3 is crippled shit
Xfce sees almost no development but works fine
>>
>>61546431
KDE has always been buggy bloatware. For years I loved Gnome 2, but since Gnome 3 went to shit I moved to Xfce like any sensible person.
>>
>>61544686
neither one
pick something edgy that needs thousand of hours to config, use anime wallpaper and pretend to be hacker
>>
>>61544810
>Gnome is more aesthetically pleasing

ask me how I know you're underage
>>
>using a DE
lol
>>
>>61545325
Most de's are metapackages.
Get you're packagemanager to list what the metapak pulls in. copy paste the obvious neccessities, the bits you want, and let your package manager sort things out.
>>
budgie 10.4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything ever made
>>
>>61544686
The only reason not to use Plasma is if your rig is 2 decades old.
>>
>>61544686
gnome is great for laptops.
the workflow is great
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.