[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Proprietary exam software? Why the fuck?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 12

File: ExamSoft.jpg (79KB, 1000x500px)
ExamSoft.jpg
79KB, 1000x500px
I just got an email from the med school I'll be attending that I'll have to use examsoft to take exams.
Of course, this fucking shit only supports Windows and macs
I only have an X220 and an HP Elitebook, running debian and arch respectively.
What the fuck do I do? I don't want to have a botnet running on my machine and I don't want to buy a fucking mac.
It seems to detect if it's running inside a VM as well...

Anyone else had to deal with this shit? It seems law schools also use it.
>>
They're required to provide computers with all required software if you don't or can't install it on your own machine.
>>
>>61544456
Why don't you just go to a library?
>>
>>61544503
The email makes it very clear that I'm required to provide my own machine sadly.

Can I install linux on a macbook? I've only ever used one for like 10 minutes to upload a file to google drive. Hated every second of it, especially that disgustingly big trackpad.

>>61544525
It's required for exams that will be held in class. Meaning there's no way to do them aside from having my own machine
>>
>>61544456
make a part, mane
get a w7 rip
not hard
>>
wine or vm.
>>
>>61544566
actually if you have two USB drives you don't even need that
just plug them both in and install w7 on one from the other
>>
>>61544566
I understand that this is the obvious solution, but I really don't want to have windows installed on any of my machines.
And it would probably have to be the X220 (due to the better battery life), meaning I would have to overwrite the debian partition or windows wont boot. That's a giant fucking hassle.
>>61544573
It detects that it's in a VM. And I highly doubt that it'll work under WINE, considering that the program's job is to shut off everything and record the screen to prevent cheating (even though this doesn't prevent cheating in the slightest)
>>61544632
Having a USB drive sticking out would be pretty suspect no? Also a microSD would probably be too slow...
>>
>>61544632
actually i kind of lied it's not that easy
but clearing a little room for a partition is
>>
>>61544503
False, they'll have you do it by hand instead.
>>
>>61544658
It's less of a hassle than it could be. assuming you have a backup drive, that is. a little dd and you're good to go.

I guess you could
>copy the first fifteen gigs or so of your drive onto a usb
>make a partition less than fifteen gigs on the drive and install windows on it
>when you're done dd the usb drive back on
>it's exactly how you left it
I THINK this would work, but it sounds really fucking jank. It wouldn't work if you run an SSD, either.
>>
>>61544658
If you are not against a 3rd machine, get a $50 craptop or an EEEpc (for size) and smash XP on it to be used as a designated exam machine.
>>
>>61544658
you could also switch the arch drive over to the X220, if you like debian more.
>>
If I were you I would figure out a way to get around examsoft being able to detect it is in a VM. A lot of education software is designed poorly and this shit doesn't seem like an exception.

From my limited research it seems like ES is scanning the users' files for stuff that looks like VMware/virtualbox/etc. And forcing you to uninstall it before proceeding.

I would use QEMU/KVM firstly, as I think that would be the least likely to be detected. And then sandbox the VM so it is unable to access any user/programs outside the VM.
>>
>>61544456
Find a way to prevent it from finding out it's in a VM.
>>
Is this some kind of nightmare?
>>
>>61544893
>disabling antivirus programs

boy i sure wonder why they would want you to do that

I wouldn't install that shit anywhere near my files.
>>
>>61544893
Holy shit, I hope they get cancer
>>
Also I'm gonna be dorming, and didn't have the cash to afford a car this semester (med school is fucking expensive in cuckland) so I'll be taking the train.
Really don't want to have to lug around 2 machines the elitebook especially is fucking massive.
>>61544912
Exactly.
Can macs run linux natively? If not can that parallels thing run a distro at native performance?
>>
>>61544958
I can't say, but I would guess that is should be possible, macs are PCs with a different name.

Try windows on Xen with no PV, run it as a full HVM, maybe you can fool it from detective it being run as a VM.
>>
I know this isn't what you wanted, but it seems like the best way to do this is to just buy a cheap shittop with windows on it. If the info from >>61544893 is correct, it won't run on VMs or pirated versions of Windows, which is what you would probably have if you tried to rig something to run on your existing machines. I don't doubt that you could hack something together and get it to run, but its stability would be questionable at best, and if this is something for med school exams, I wouldn't risk it IMO.

Cheap windows laptops are all over the market. You should be able to get one that can run this for <$50 easily
>>
File: Untitled.png (17KB, 130x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
17KB, 130x1080px
The best OS wins again! MacToddlers and Licucks BTFO.
>>
File: 1459540100271.jpg (19KB, 249x230px) Image search: [Google]
1459540100271.jpg
19KB, 249x230px
>>61544456
you know if you get a job involving software that you are going to have to use the software your company gives you, right?

get over it nerd, that's real life
>>
omfg how can this be legal. In germany no uni would ever do that
>>
I found this. Not sure if still relevent but may work.

http://www.unibia.com/unibianet/systems-networking/bypassing-virtual-machine-detection-vmware-workstation
>>
>mac
just go and buy a new 2.5" drive
shit's cheap af
you can buy a RPi and a usb adapter to net yourself a nice little fileserver
>>
Can't you spoof the cpuid string?
I'm pretty sure that's how most software detects if it's in a VM.
Switch it to GenuineIntel or AuthenticAMD.
>>
>>61545042
What software do doctors have to use on their personal computers anon?
>>61545023
I really don't and most likely can't have two machines.
Also a cheapo shitbox will likely have trash battery life, and I really don't want to risk running out of battery on an exam...
I don't know what the outlet situation is yet as I'm gonna be a first year.

If macs can run linux natively I'll just shell out for that.
Seems like the safest bet despite being the most uncomfortable.
>>61545080
I'm sure I can do a lot of things. But should I put medical school on the line cause of a shitty piece of software? I'm sure any kind of tampering will ruin me, yes I won't get caught most likely; but that's not a 100% and I simply can't risk it.
Is this what being cucked feels like? fuck
>>
>>61545136
Its what being retarded feels like . . .You should just give up now the defeatist attitude you hold will do you no favors in Med School. Go bang nails or sell cars or something, retard.
>>
What the fuck is this?
What if your keyboard unpairs during an exam?
Every fucking bluetooth keyboard will do that
This is insane

and would setting the screen to HD make everything blurry as fuck if you have one of the higher end surfaces with the QHD screen?
>>
File: file.png (294KB, 1697x856px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
294KB, 1697x856px
wtf is this support page, jesus

>>61545136
at least run windows, mate.
>>
>>61544456

Go to your school's library to take exams?
>>
>>61545196
>1080p required
is this a global standard?
what the fuck
>>
>>61545208
Theres no fucking way they're going through all these bullshit to prevent cheating all to let me take exams in private.
>>61545191
Do you have any idea how much it took to get to med school? You think I'll throw that all away because of computer issues?
>>
File: 1496093221134.jpg (181KB, 1110x684px) Image search: [Google]
1496093221134.jpg
181KB, 1110x684px
>>61545196
>>61544893
What the fuck is wrong with people who make software like this? Do they not understand that not everyone is running the same OS, or even the same resolution?

And what is wrong with corporations who actually BUY INTO THIS SHIT? Why would anyone with half a mind see "YOU NEED TO HAVE WINDOWS AND 1920x1080px AND YOU CAN'T PAIR YOUR KEYBOARD AND YOU NEED TO TURN OFF YOUR ANTIVIRUS" and then decide that this is a good product worthy of investing in and making it MANDATORY to take tests all across college?!

Is this the result of women in higher up positions, or are medical people just so fucking tech-illiterate that they saw no problem with all of this?
>>
>>61545277
either dual boot windows or buy a small HD to install windows. could be one of those cheap 32 or 64 GB SSDs, even.
>>
>>61545277

> go to ebay
> buy a 10 dollar windows 10 key from the jeets
> burn a windows 10 disc
> install a windows 10 partition

its not hard
>>
also dumb question because its been over a decade since I've really used windows
Say I do go with dual booting, is authenticating windows 8/10 as easy as it was during the XP/7 days or would I actually have to buy this shit?
>>
>>61545329
>buy a 10 dollar windows 10 key from the jeets
Would that be a US English windows though? It's literally a fucking requirement
>>
>>61545332
easy, but you could always do >>61545329

Also, install Windows 7. If you are at all worried about botnet, that's the least botnet version.
>>
>>61545332
windows 7 is supported
>>
>>61545350
i don't think keys are tied to language versions
not to mention that you can install an update to change to english, not that i would think ms is smart enough to make that "official"
>>
>>61545277
No, but obviously it didn't involve critical thinking.

Here are your options:

1.)Install windows on one of your PCs
2.)Buy a throw-away PC to install windows on
3.)Develop a workaround for using ES on a VM
4.)Ask for special accomodation from your university

It doesn't seem like you are willing or able to do the first three so that leaves the 4th option.

It also seems like you should be starting a dialogue with your school and not a nepalese post card collection forum.

I hope you never get to practice medecine you incompetant fuck.
>>
>>61545357
me again

run this after installing W7. Botnet free. Only issue is that it's only updated up to 10 months ago, but there are other solutions on the web.
>>
>>61545422
forgot the fucking link

https://github.com/CodeMason/aegis-voat
>>
>>61545433
>>61545422
Thanks
I'll use this as my last ditch resort.
The plan is to use the X220 dock wth an HHD running windows that I would use during exam time.
Clunky, but it'll work.

I'm looking into maybe getting a mac as well if the linux support is there. If anyone could give an opinion on this that would be great.
>>
>>61544456
Try xen or another bare metal hypervisor.
>>
>>61545501
not worth it desu. Just buy a cheap ass hdd and your good to go
>>
What kind of a shit university do you attend that doesn't use linux as their primary operating system?
>>
>>61544732
This is exactly what i did.
>>
>>61545350

Yes it will be good as a real one

but it might mean that they are pwning you so don't do anything stupid
>>
>>61544893
The botnet is strong in this one.
>>
>>61545501
actually, before running that script or any similar, try the software first (on a fresh windows install). It might need an update or something that will be blocked in the hosts file, and you'll be running like a headless chicken trying to solve the problem.
>>
>>61545701
This is what I was worried about.
The major problem is that it seems that I need an actual test to be available to check everything out and see if it all works
>>
>>61544456
Ahahahaha freetards eternally BTFO
>>
>>61545741
as long as it install and it starts, it should be fine. From the support page you posted, they will troubleshoot anything that happens with the software.
>>
>>61545766
Ill try it out when I get home

Also what the fuck, the macbook pro only has 2 ports and they're not even USB? What the fuck is this shit
>>
>>61545861
check the requirements page

it says

>For onsite support, and in order to backup the answer files to a USB, a working USB port is required (Newer devices may require an adaptor)
>(Newer devices may require an adaptor)
>>
>>61544456
>Med school
>Use arch
Come-on can you fail for this bait?
Medics are top rich Chad's. No one like this wouldose their time using arch
>>
>>61545885
So if I were to get a mac I either cuck myself with a shitty screen but no dongles with the air or cuck myself with dongles and an absolute nigger tier keyboard with the pro.
nice
>>61545947
I literally haven't used windows (other than to print shit with school computers) in over 10 years.
My parents haven't paid a single dime in my education either.
>>
Have you just straight up talked to your professors? I don't know if med school works differently, but I would assume its kind of the same where you have a professor or something. It's definitely worth it to ask, they might be able to give you some alternatives or something.
>>
>>61545042
Non-shit companies provide a machine for you in such cases.
>>
Windows 7 VM that you only use for that shit.
>>
>>61545319
for the same reason other companies buy shit software
there´s a lack for alternatives that are better
>>
>>61546028
I don't know if I wanna give that kind of impression.
These are people that I need rec letters from in the future.

With a student discount the air is under a grand. Insane but all of my laptop purchases to this point have been under $500, so I don't really feel that bad I guess.
Arch seems to install without hassle and work fine I'll stay within my linux workflow, and I won't have to gamble on pajeet's authentication scripts.
>>
>>61545319
>Do they not understand that not everyone is running the same OS, or even the same resolution?
No. It's developed by people who know academic testing, not by people who know software.

>And what is wrong with corporations who actually BUY INTO THIS SHIT?
It's bought by people who know corporate sourcing, not by people who know software.

These are people who don't know what an operating system is. To them, a computer without Windows is as unimaginable as a computer without a screen.
>>
>>61545277
>Do you have any idea how much it took to get to med school? You think I'll throw that all away because of computer issues?
Then just fucking install windows
>b-b-but i dun wan 2 install winblows
too bad, med school is more important, as you've clearly stated
>>
>>61544456
Virtual machine, motherflower.
>>
>>61544456
WIndows trial, motherflower.
>>
>>61546324
Not OP but requirements say "genuine Windows copy"
>>
>>61546342
Steal it, then
>>
>>61544730
>I THINK this would work, but it sounds really fucking jank. It wouldn't work if you run an SSD, either.
anon is retarded, it would work on an SSD, and isn't jank at all
why not just allocate a partition at the end of the drive, install windows, and have a windows entry in GRUB
>>
>>61546381
windows really doesn't like not being the first boy in line.
>>
>>61546381
Don't SSDs wipe shit once it's off the MBR?
>>
I run linux mint and Windows with GRUB. No problems, at all.
>>
>>61546342
Trial Windows is genuinem faggit. Using trial version is perfectly legal.
>>
>>61546448
until it expires :^)
>>
>>61546448
Am I supposed to be reinstalling windows before every exam?
>>
>>61546430
I don't fucking know, google it

>>61546409
that's right, I forgot about that
it may be possible to shrink the fs, then relocate it
>>
>>61546459
to his credit, there are solutions to re-arm the trial period
>>
>>61546473
>moving partitions
this is dangerous and tedious shit, anon
desu backing up /home and making a list of the programs you use before wiping and installing windows first is the solution I would go with
>>
heh, back in the day when I was after my A+/Network+ certifications I used ExamGear Test software. It plus the books helped me out quite a bit. Sadly it seems all trace of it has vanished from the Net (shocking ain't it). Or least I've never been able to find it. Lucky for me I made a backup of it,
>>
A-at least I'll get to larp as Linus, right?
>>
>>61546639
>haswell
anon please
at least check it against a similar X1 Carbon
>>
>>61546639
so, after all the advice and alternatives that people gave you in this thread, you are going for the shittiest choice, huh?

You are a faggot among faggots, OP.
>>
>>61544893
>Cannot run on a VM for who knows what retarded reason
>Disable you antivirus
>USB keyboard strictly required for another retarded reason
>1080p required
Where the fuck do you live or study? its the worst thing i ever saw
>>
>>61546639
if you're really going for it, i don't think anyone's actually said about linux support
you'll have to run arch on it, for one. QoL is also relatively terrible, what with the touchpad gestures and shit.
apart from that it runs fine.
>>
>>61546712
cheat prevention
>>
> Another linux babby gets a dose of reality
Get used to it fuccboi
Nobody in the real world has time to learn how to rice their arch install
>>
>>61546712
>>Cannot run on a VM for who knows what retarded reason

So he doesn't switch control to the host machine and cheat.

>>USB keyboard strictly required for another retarded reason

maybe it's easier to get what he's typing
>>
File: asd.jpg (167KB, 825x499px) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
167KB, 825x499px
You could try asking this guy how his crusade went.
Maybe the angry letter he sent to the human rights commission went somewhere and you have a precedent to sue your university for violating your human rights by forcing you to use proprietary software
>>
>>61546207
What kind of impression? Unless your professors are fucking spastic autists there's no way they'd be offended.
>>
>>61546789
that guy's a fag
the burden's on the student
>>
>>61544456
I hope you can afford a 200TB HDD on which you could install Windows.
>>
>>61544893
>Doesn't support Windows 10 1703.

WHAT THE FUCK? What kind of fucked up niggercollege uses SHIT software like this? fucking COCKS!
>>
>>61546712
>>61546758
i don't get it, why anglos are so anal about "cheating" when they learn virtually fuck all in their schools?
it's not like, they would need to design a house or recall names of 300 "stamps" on the spot
>>
>>61544893
> Genuine
So does this mean it won't work on pirated, inactivated copies of Wangblows?
>>
>>61546827
You are literally the problem.
>>
>>61546639
Heads up, ExamSoft tends to have issues with minor software updates on the Mac (apparently Windows too), entire system lock-ups, crashes during exams, etc. So just running a 'supported' OS isn't enough, you need to be on say, 10.X.4, not 10.X.5, and they won't warn you until days before the exam. Fiancée is in law school and it was a nightmare last semester.
>>61546660
>falling for the X1 Carbon meme
>>
>>61544456
Obviously you have to leave that medical school because they are retards.

Also, the medical community as a whole is literally retarded when it comes to technology.
>>
>>61546918
I don't see the downsides.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-24_20-26-02.png (820KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-24_20-26-02.png
820KB, 1280x800px
>>61544456
Grab a 2010-2015 lightly use MacBook Pro. I'm 99% sure that all of them support any Linux distro as long as it's EFI compatible, which is nearly everything now. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro that I upgraded to 10GB of RAM and a 275GB SSD. I keep a 50GB partition with OS X for personal use (pic related), a 25GB partition with OS X for work related stuff, and an encrypted 200GB Fedora partition for everything else that I use daily. Everything worked but I had to temporarily hook up to my router directly with an Ethernet cable to download Broadcom drivers to get my wireless hardware working, and for no apparent reason there's a little red light inside my headphone jack that lights up when I'm booted into Fedora. I have no idea what it means but it doesn't affect functionality.
>>
>>61546918
This is why a dual boot is perfect, second only to a VM.
>>
>>61546744
He can just cheat with his phone you fucking retard. Online test are literally meaningless.
>>
>>61546639
Please don't do this. Buy a MacBook Pro Retina 13 instead, it's MUCH better for the money!
>>
>>61546914
Sure it would be best if he got the guy to install it and just doubleclick for there to be no difference after setup, but standards are there for a reason.
Libreoffice does need to fix that shit, and he should have known it would fuck up.
>>
>>61546961
me again

My bank asks to download a software that fucks so much with your PC in order to verify that everything is secure. It dramatically increases boot time, consumes RAM/CPU while on (even if I'm not in the account page), and every update fucks it up.

So I just made a VM, titled "bank", that sits perfectly still until I need to access it. I'm doing that until the bank stops such a bullshit approach to security.
>>
>>61546967
It's done in class, dummy.
>>
>>61546955
core 2 duo is garbage compared to the performance you can get from a modern machine.

better efficiency, cooling, price, everything. there's no reason whatsoever to use c2d in 2017.
>>
>>61546918
>Fiancée is in law school and it was a nightmare last semester.
I graduated from law school last year, can confirm that examsoft is shit. What's worse is they charge you $120+ to use it during the bar exam. Sounds like it's not optional for OP though.

When I took the bar exam some girl near me had examsoft fuck up during the second half of the first day and she just started crying.
>>
>>61547015
This.
Get an X220 or T420
>>
>>61547015
>there's no reason whatsoever to use c2d in 2017
It's fast enough for daily use, it's 64 bit, it's cheap, and I can shut off the management engine. Go away underage b&.
>>
File: 93c.jpg (49KB, 680x441px) Image search: [Google]
93c.jpg
49KB, 680x441px
>>61544456
I uninstalled Linux from my laptop after three months of trying it out for pretty much the same reason: some outdated bullshit software that one of the profs wrote in the 90s and has been using ever since that we were forced to use at school.

Try googling around, I think that you can still somehow convince pirated Win 7 and 8 to update into a legit 10.

Dunno about the machine, though. VM was what first came to mind, but it seems that the fuckers have left you with no option but to either infest your laptop, or buy some used cheap toilet paper wreck.
>>
>>61546884
>why do medical schools care if people are cheating
nigga at least read the thread before you post europoor
>>
>>61544456
This got me triggered so fucking hard.
What happened to the good old pen and paper is it so hard to print stuff in cuckland?
>>
>>61547132
For the bar exam if I were taking it again I'd probably pay for examsoft. The amount of writing you have to do in a very limited amount of time makes typing much more desirable. My state also required you to write in pen and you only get 1 sheet of exam paper so if you have to make changes or add things you're severely limited on space. My score was significantly worse than it would have been had I taken it on a computer.

Whatever though, I saved $120 and didn't give a dime to those fags
>>
>>61546884
Honestly I wish cheating were actually punished here I see students bullshiting their way through a diploma all the time, and I feel sickened to think these little shits are now my colleges.
First there are test which are a really inefficient way to grade students and any other method are such a hassle to deal with (I'm a professor)
Also, this is why ethics should be actually taught in short term you can trust the student to not cheat and in long term you can trust the professional won't be prescribing me high dosages of opiods for my back pain just because some pharma rep pays for his vacations (In OP's field for example).
>>
>>61547240
>Honestly I wish cheating were actually punished here
If you get caught cheating during the bar exam you will almost certainly never be allowed to sit for the bar again.
>>
>>61547240
> Says tests are shit
> In the same sentence gets butthurt when students bypass this shit and cheat
:thinking:
>>
>>61547260
A test is basically some bureaucracy I have to do, it has it's use in the legal context of I can't flunk or approve a student for some minor detail.
It doesn't objectively indicates if the student has learned some of the material I taught and that's the reason I think they are bad.
I got butthurt because in my view cheating a test is the same as lying in my IRS forms. I hated tests when I was a student and I still hate it now, it's just that I understand its use case now.
There are better ways to objectively indicate if the material was learn and there are also better ways to collect taxes, but those ways are difficult to be implemented in ultra-bureaucratic institutions.
>>
>>61547419
Yo professor I'm going to college in 2 weeks, tell me how to bullshit through to my diploma
>>
>>61547419
what are the alternatives, if you don't mind me asking? projects? one-on-one or group work?
>>
>>61547419
> I put up with useless bullshit because I'm a good goy
> Also cheating on a meaningless test is equal to a federal felony
Goodest of goyim here training the new generation of good goys
>>
>>61544541
You can install Linux on a MacBook, yes. It's kind of messy though, Apple isn't too keen on people doing it.
>>
>>61545042
Companies provide you with a work PC so you can use whatever shit software they want you to use.
>>
>>61544658
Can you stream using a capture card/ second comp?
>>
>>61547862
Why would they restrict their hardware? Or do you just mean that they don't open source drivers, etc for certain thing, and don't develop for Linux unlike, say, Intel?
>>
>>61544456
It's built in .NET so it means that you can decompile it and even edit the source. It might be possible to get running on wine / vm.
>>
>>61544456
Libvirt lets you hide the fact that a machine is virtualized. You have to it for GPU passthrough with nvidia because they are anti-consumer, you could find some info on it at vfio.blogspot.com
>>
>>61544456
We used respondus lockdown browser
>>
>>61544456
Buy an external USB hard drive and put windows on it. Run it. Do not buy a mac book. Don't do it. Seriously don't please it sucks.
>>
>>61544456
>>61544893
>>61545196
>>61545204
WHAT THE FUCK!
>>
>>61546827
The student already paying tens of thousands of dollars to the college? I feel like that means the college shouldn't also fuck you by forcing you to purchase all kinds of software that could potentially add up to 100 dollars.
>>
>>61546996
Change banks you raging dickhead.
>>
>>61547009
>Tests on computers.

Ok.
>>
Op you have no idea the world of pain you are in for.

This software shits itself constantly even under ideal and stable conditions. I would not suggest fucking around with it, because you will already be stressed out about your exams without having the software lock up/crash/not save your answers/grade incorrectly/administer the wrong material/incoherently scramble the material.

Most institutions offer a paper version of the examination in the event of technical failures. Make sure you bring several pencils and eraser to all your exams, you'll be needing them.
>>
>>61546968
It's much more difficult to get Linux running smoothly on a pro though.
And the keyboard is balls
>>
>>61550409
This is why I would be worried with pirating windows etc.
Are Mac updates mandatory? If not I'll just repartition the whole disk for Linux and leave like 20 gigs for the Mac partition that ill only use for exams.
Seems like the most safe compromise, and at least the air has good battery life so I wont be worried about the chink battery in my x220 shitting out at a critical moment.

Why is the /g/entooman life so incompatible with the real world? Fuck
>>
Judging by people's testimony of just how buggy this thing is, I'd just bite the bullet and make Wingblows partition or separate drive. If you still want to go the VM route your best bet is QEMU. It might also be possible to spoof the names of the emulated pieces of hardware in a VMware or virtualbox VM but again it's not worth it.
>>
>>61544456
Dual boot you fucking man child.

Every good linux geek at Uni knows they'll occasionally need access to windows.
>>
>>61544893
>Microsoft targets Windows 10 S for education
>academic testing software doesn't support it
Pottery
>>
>>61547627
Depends on the field.
In my field (accounting) for example, one of the things the department chief congratulated me was that I got some books, crooked them and told the students to check for any irregularities. Each one got a different book, and each book had at least ten irregularities. It was a small class about 15 students so making the test and correcting them wasn't hard. Now I have 26 students No way I am doing that again.
In computer science I believe (speaking out of my ass) that small directed projects can help, but you kinda have to make one small project for each student and them grade them.
>>
>>61544456
A school is a business. You pay themto provide a service. Ring them up and say you will not use that tool and that you and your money will get a degree elsewhere.
>>
>>61553109
I think 10 S is mainly aiming for high schools. That's where the chromebook penetration has been the highest.
>>
>>61553109
It is pretty funny but unsurprising, Windows 10 store is trash
>>
>>61544658
Get a cheap SSD, put 7 on there and swap it out before you go to take the class. Hopefully its one of the laptops you can just undo 2 screws or so and swap.
>>
>>61544893
will it detect not so known vm software like qemu?
>>
>>61550164
Stupid solutions for a stupid problem.
>We want students to use their own computers that they paid for, but we also want total control over those computers.
>>
So you rather buy a MacBook air for tons of money instead of just installing Windows? Interesting.
>>
Email the teacher and BCC the department head, dean, etc. If you're well spoken enough they'll accommodate you at the very least. If that doesn't work then rally the student body to protest and drop classes with similar requirements
>>
>>61548321
My personal experience with it (2011 mbp) is a lot of fucking driver issues. WiFi often enough doesn't want to work at all and worst of all, the fucking graphics. I have to turn off discrete graphics completely just to get the OS to boot and even then, bumblebee etc doesn't work and the outputs don't work either.
Linux on Apple hardware is a mess.
To be fair though, you can do basically anything on MacOS that you could do in Linux.
>>
>>61544456
What VM did you test? I once had to get some solid works software running in an Qemu+KVM VM, and you just had to disable a bunch of identifiers and it would work
>>
>>61547132
>writing down the bar exam
Nigga you don't understand. I took the bar on autopilot (basically just retrieving answers for practiced questions in my head,) spent about 20 minutes per question (there were three for three hours) framing the answer and making sure I'm smashing the right issues, and I STILL only had ten minutes to spare out of the three hours to check my work because of the amount of typing I had to do.
>>
>>61544456
>be me
>went to school in infancy of exam software like this
>it did not detect it was in a VM
>cheated on my exams solely because I was upset I was forced to use Windows
>>
>>61560621
whatever nigger, I hand wrote the Ohio bar exam and passed, saving $120+ in the process. The MPTs weren't even bad, the it was the state essays that blew (2 per hour) as the space limitations were ridiculous.

Not gonna lie, it definitely hurt my score but it didn't matter because the MBE is piss easy.
>>
>>61555565
>Hopefully its one of the laptops you can just undo 2 screws or so and swap.
The X220 is just one captive screw to unlock the HDD bay cover, the caddy comes out by just pulling on the integrated plastic tab. The Elitebook depends on the model, but at least the Sandy/Ivy era models require releasing the bottom cover latch and undoing three screws to free the caddy.
>>
File: image.jpg (174KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
174KB, 1920x1080px
>>61544456
We go to the same medschool. Just fuck up my life.
>>
>>61545319
>And what is wrong with corporations who actually BUY INTO THIS SHIT? Why would anyone with half a mind see "YOU NEED TO HAVE WINDOWS AND 1920x1080px AND YOU CAN'T PAIR YOUR KEYBOARD AND YOU NEED TO TURN OFF YOUR ANTIVIRUS" and then decide that this is a good product worthy of investing in and making it MANDATORY to take tests all across college?!
Teachers who care more about students cheating than the horrific damage this does to their computers.
>>
And yeah examsoft is already implemented for all the weekly formative quizzes which expire. What a nightmare.
>>
There's already been about 100 complaints made about this change so they're not going to change it for the theory paper.
>>
>>61545319
It is made for the MAJORITY of people...not the 3% that uses *nix
>>
>not just saying that your computer can't run the software and asking them if you can use one of their machines

If it's a real school they have something so that students can still take tests even when they don't have a working computer.

If they don't then do yourself a favour and go to a real school instead.
>>
>>61562671
I'm not that student but the med co-ord says that the comps available will be v. limited.
>>
The hospitals also block every port except 443 and 80 and even openvpn running on 443 doesn't work.
>>
And more info for OP, during the image exam they come around and inspect people screens.
Thread posts: 165
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.