[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GNU Image Manipulation Programme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: dogshit.jpg (267KB, 1108x1108px) Image search: [Google]
dogshit.jpg
267KB, 1108x1108px
Why is it so bad and what are some decent free alternatives to it?

I don't mean something on par with Photoshop, I've already come to terms with the fact that I'll never find anything even close to it in the free world, but a free alternative that at least isn't a massive steaming pile of dogshit.
>>
Paint.NET is pretty good.

Also Krita.
>>
>>61523861
It's not bad, learn how to use it.
>>
>>61523974
Bad advice, learning how to use it is how people realize it sucks.
>>
>>61524082
You've probably never used GIMP seriously other than opening it up once and being upset that it doesn't look exactly like Photoshop.

>But I need X

Unless you're a professional, no you probably don't.
>>
>>
Photoshop is not a good enough reason to install wine, never mind windows.
>>
As a professional graphic artist who has a lot of clients in the agricultural sector, I often need a quick and easy way to draw green peppers.
Should I consider purchasing a photoshop license for this purpose?
>>
green is my pepper
>>
>>61524725
>You've probably never used GIMP seriously
No, I know GIMP quite well, have used it extensively for quite a while and it has several serious issues.

- I can't select multiple layers, or use a transparent color for the grid
- frequent unexpected crashes with work loss because no auto save
- no way to adjust curves for multiple layers simultaneously
- no united transform tool
- have I mentioned how layer management is shit already?
- float selection - boom, it becomes its own layer! but not really (and information around the edges of selection is lost)...
- brush and gradient editor are useless
- no way to tell what the hell's going on when rotating a layer on top of something complex
- etc...

Also non-functional issues:

- development is slow and inefficient with retarded multi-year release cycles
- this GEGL thing has been going on for ages and never gets anywhere[
- filing bugs is extremely hard (you have to document everything, explain the issues, figure out how much of it is localized to your build, how much of it is already fixed in the dev version, wade through a bunch of questions about which version you're using or discussions about how it isn't reproducible or arguments about how you should build again with different dependencies...)
- even harder to fork because it's such a convoluted poorly documented spaghetti code mess (two forks have failed already that I know of, namely CinePaint and GimpShop, and when your project is harder to fork than an entire office suite, it's usually a terrible sign)

>you don't really need X
It's not up to you to decide, it's up to me.
>>
>>61523861
>remap keyboard shortcuts to mimic Photoshops
>Follow GIMP tutorials
>???
>Profit

not that hard anon. If you're not using keyboard shortcuts you're a brainlet who isn't working as well as they could even if they use photoshop.
>>
>>61523861
Photoshop is, was, and will forever be free if you know how ;)
>>
>>61525717
Just donate more shekels, goy.

But seriously, donation money made Krita a sweet piece of software, though desu I don't have a lot of confidence GIMP could achieve similar results with the same amount of money.
>>
>>61525922
he didn't mean free beer
He meant free speech
>>
>>61525922
Lightroom nigga, do you speak it?
>>
>>61526316
This. GIMP is only remotably usable for photography anyway, it's a non-option for design. It doesn't even compete with Photoshop, if anything it only (barely) competes with Lightroom.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.