[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

programming newb obv

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

alright duderoos, i've decided to teach myself programming or something like that. I did some opencourseware stuff with python 2.6 and leaned a lot of basic concepts and stuff, then went and studied how memories work, how a computer is broken down, ect. and then i stopped because i moved and was working three jobs to buy big stuff.

So anyways, now that i have electricity back and internet and am somewhat financially stable working 1 job, i've decided to pick it back up. Problem is, alot of the stuff and programs i was making (as stupidly simple as they were) are kinda foreign to me, and since i downloaded python 3.6, i seem to have to relearn alot of stuff.

I found this book, and want to know if im good starting here? If not, would you pretty please recomend me something else - i wouldn't mind reading some "preliminary books" if necessary, im just tired of watching videos.
>>
state your country
>>
>>61522465
United state of florida. Schools a 100% impossibility.
>>
>>61522439
Actually, lots of things you learned are probably still valid for python 3.
Syntax differ a bit, but you'll be ok if u managed to teach yourself python once !
Gg on that job and good luck for ur project.

Regarding the book, i got no fkin clue, sry
>>
>>61522439
Actually, lots of things you learned are probably still valid for python 3.
Syntax differ a bit, but you'll be ok if u managed to teach yourself python once !
Gg on that job and good luck for ur project.

Regarding the book, i got no fkin clue, sry
>>
>>61522439
yes just fucking open it amd start going through it. If you spend less time worrying about whether or not you have good learning material, and more time coding, then maybe you wouldn't be such a fuckboy
>>
>>61524005
already am going through it dickcheese
>>
O'riley books are the shit that i use. It's a great books doesn't mater if you are a starter or an advanced programmer. It's relatively easy to study it. Good luck on you projects bro. If you need any help in studying, i'm a python developer, just reply to this comment.
>>
>>61524040
reading the back cover is not "going through it"
>>
Python 3 isn't that different from 2. Biggest things to be aware of are probably:
print()
is a function now, so you need those brackets
2. Unicode strings by default, so
len("ü")
is now 1, not 2. There is a new bytes type that is like the old str, the new str is like the old
unicode

3. Certain functions like filter and reduce have been moved to a library
4. Some functions that used to return lists, like range(…), map(…), etc now return a generator instead. You can wrap it in a list(…) call if you want a list

As for books, stay the FUCK away from Zed Shaw's Learn Python the Hard Way. That book is actively harmful, outright wrong, and it should simply never have been written. Instead, Think Python is a pretty good choice in my opinion.
>>
>>61524128
Zed Shaw is a fucking hack.
>>
>>61524065
i am reading it, PROMISE!!!
The whole first chapter of this book is literally "Why should you learn python"

>>61524128
maybe i didn't stress how much of a begginer i am. The only "programs" or "scripts" or whatever i could make where basically, computer prompts for something, and i use like a loop or something to print out a text chart for how to properly pull the correct amount of meat out of the freezer at work lol.

The book mentions Unicode strings or whatever, and i've completely no idea what that be. I was hoping for recommending reading material that would explain, like 'concepts' or something. Like, i get the input output part, its when you start doing 'data types' and how they're stored in memory differently i don't get. And how they act differently. Like, trying to understand what an "object" is, in oop.

>>61524044
Uh yesh plox. see above, how do learn terminology and conceptualization plz, danke schoen!
>>
>>61525015
>The whole first chapter of this book is literally "Why should you learn python"
I have the book. I have the second volume 'Fluent Python' as well. the first several hundred pages of your book are pretty boring
>>
>>61524128
I dont know python but wanted to learn python and the learn python the hard way seemed pretty good as it taught you how to do practical shit like a website.

Is there anything related? The Think Python isnt very good in that aspect.
>>
>>61522439
It's a good book. They use it for my college's intro CS course, but we use Python 2.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.