[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a reason for me to use UEFI instead of legacy/grub?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Uefi_logo.svg.png (34KB, 665x768px) Image search: [Google]
Uefi_logo.svg.png
34KB, 665x768px
Is there a reason for me to use UEFI instead of legacy/grub? I've been using grub for the past decade and it has always worked and configuration/customisation is easy.

What are the benefits of UEFI?
>>
GPT
>>
UEFI has its own lightweight bootloader, and all it takes to link it to Linux after a kernel update is copying the vmlinuz into /boot/efi/boot/bootx64.efi. Also, you don't get that retarded GRUB screen that nobody gives a shit about except Arch retards who think they're 1337 cause they put an anime background on it.
>>
>>61521035
don't need UEFI to use GPT
i use GPT on all my disks, and i don't own anything that supports UEFI
>>
>>61521438
>and all it takes to link it to Linux after a kernel update is copying the vmlinuz into /boot/efi/boot/bootx64.efi
So I have to do this after every kernel update?
>>
>>61521773
I though this was done automatically on most distros
>>
>>61521773
>>61521438
>>61521795
Or you use efibootmgr and add directly the kernel as an entry.
>>
>>61521023
>What are the benefits of UEFI?
Very slim to absolutely none.
It's another half-baked standard from Intel that not only didn't solve the major problems of BIOS, but added a lot of new ones. You can easily google that if you're interested.

In practice the main benefit is being able to boot from a specific file.

Also, GRUB2 supports UEFI so you can continue using it. The setup is slightly different but I'm sure it's covered in your distro's documentation.
>>
>>61521023
Hardware support, newer devices literary won't work with legacy BIOS.
>>
>>61522978
It literally changes ways of how the hardware talks to the drivers/software and vice versa, there are performance increases for storage and graphics hardware.
>>
>>61523053
Any benchmarks on that?
>>
Isn't UEFI better for virtualization?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.