[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come no one's made an e-ink smartphone yet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

File: einknfc-640x353.jpg (43KB, 640x353px) Image search: [Google]
einknfc-640x353.jpg
43KB, 640x353px
How come no one's made an e-ink smartphone yet?
>>
there was a yotaphone brand that was a commercial failure

ironically, both kobo and amazon ebooks run forked android distros.
>>
>>61519434
selfiewhores won't buy them
>>
>>61519475
>there was a yotaphone brand
It's still alive. They are going to release yotaphone 3 pretty soon.
>>
>>61519434
Y O T A F O N
O
T
PH
o NE
>>
>>61519475
>>61519491
>>61519537
I don't want a dual-display phone. That's fucking stupid. I want a normal-looking phone, only with an e-ink display.
>>
Because they can't compete with LCD screens.
>>
>>61519812
They can when it comes to sunlight readability and power consumption.
>>
>>61519434
Because no one wants a black and white screen with a refresh rate slow as shit in their smartphone.
>>
OLED is somewhat making it obsolete
>>
>>61519833
Yes absolutely, but they absolutely suck when it comes to color and screen refresh.
Animation on these screens is almost impossible yet it's absolutely critical for smartphones.
>>
>>61519434
Because E-Ink displays have an unspeakably shitty refresh rate and there's basically nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>61519843
I'd buy that. i don't need to play gayms, watch GayTube or shit likr that. If anything, it would make me use my phone less and actually look at the world around me again.

E-ink smartphone could also be a great outdoor phone. You just need it to be water and dustproof, sturdy, and last a week YET you still need your basic phone capabilities, your maps app, and a basic web browser to look up train/bus schedules when on road. You definitely don't need a 4K 144 Hz curvy-ass display for that during a hike.
>>
>>61519919
>You definitely don't need a 4K 144 Hz curvy-ass display for that during a hike.

But the majority of the sheep who fall for marketing think they do and as a result every one buys the latest shit and is glued to the screen all day.
I mean, even for the little I use my phone, screen refresh rate needs to be better than what current e-ink screens can do but I definitely don't mind the lack of color.
It's just that such a phone isn't going to have a large market and thus will probably never come into existence anytime soon.
>>
>>61519861
>animation
>critical for a phone
no
>>
>>61520063
Retard.
>>
>>61520063
How are you going to video chat with your friends when you have a refresh rate of 1 frame per second?
>>
>>61520078
good argument
>>
>>61520086
Thanks.
>>
>>61519861
Of course it would run a clean Android. It would require some heavy modding, like scroll buttons and zoom sliders but it coule work. The selfiewhores wouldn't buy that but then selfiewhores aren't the sole customer.
>>
>>61520063
this isn't your nokia brick we're talking about, ludd
>>
>>61520084
Just pretend to see their face if you absolutely have to. Video chat is dumb. Only reason to have it is to watch tits while talking to them
>>
>>61519919
It's cheaper and more effective to just slap a cheap LCD inside a waterproof phone instead of making some hipster dreamphone that requires new apps
>>
>>61520084
I have never seen anyone videochat or videocall with someone else from their phone. I know some people who still use Skype on their desktop, but never on their phone.
>>
>>61520197
>>61520303
It's interesting how ppl of 60s believe it was going to be a hit now we have the tech but no one use this shit
>>
>>61520078
>>61520156
Seriously fuck Material design and its ever present animations.
>>
>>61519434
I've been thinking the same anon.
>>
>>61520427
you can turn most of it off
>>
>>61519434
because nobody wants a 700ms screen
>>
they did - onyx e43

took forever to develop and it came out with android 4.0 or 4.2 around the time when android 6 was out
>>
>>61520386
Yeah, we prefer to essentially telegram each other. Kinda weird.
>>
>>61519919
the camera viewfinder would be a joke and web browser would look like shit
>>
>>61519757
The e-inc display is useful only for static image (as bonus no blinks). Every screen update will rapidly reduce ur battery.
>>
>>61519434
thats all I want.. a Samsung galaxy S8/9 with eink/touch on back side.
I want a premium phone, not a 2MPX yotta for kiddies
>>
>>61519757
>I want a normal-looking phone, only with an e-ink display.
No, you don't!
>>
>>61524376
Would you be so kind and explain to me why do you think you know better than me what I want?
>>
>press number
>two second screen update
>press number
>screw up, delete

>read message
>scroll
>scroll

yeah, no thanks
>>
>>61526355
Because the Yotaphone exists and the BOOX existed yet you got none.
You just think its gimmick is cool but once you actually get it you will be like a little kid with a toy that plays with it for the first 2 days and after that forgets about it for the rest of his life.
>>
>>61519434
It'll sell only a few hundred, novelty would wear off rather quickly too.
>>
Dual-screen e-ink / OLED phone would be top-tier.I'd buy it.

The only other phone I wanted was killed. Google Project Ara.
So continues my no smartphone days.
Because fuck everything else.
>>
>>61528191
Wasn't there an LG and motorola alternative to ara released?
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.