[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are "gaming" laptops complete memes? I don't expect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 34-154-479-V20.jpg (33KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
34-154-479-V20.jpg
33KB, 640x480px
Are "gaming" laptops complete memes? I don't expect one to perform like a purpose built desktop but I would like one that can handle modelling and renders at least passably for school.
>>
>>61518304
No they are not. I don't think the ones that cost above $2000 are worth it but I know there's market for that.

>for school

Dude... Just get a regular laptop with discrete graphics, you can get a dell with a 1050 or even a 1050ti for cheap.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Eluktronics-N850HP6-Premium-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B072X9J4M2/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500800071&sr=1-5&keywords=eluktronics%2Bgtx%2B1060&th=1

Best laptop for your needs
>>
>>61518304
Gaming laptops from the 'standard' manufacturers : AKA. Dell, MSI, Asus, Razer. They're all crap and not worth the money.

If you want a decent laptop, buy a Clevo. It's a chink company that manufactures bare bone laptops (basically just the laptop shell and mobo)

>b-but I'm not buying chink shit.
MSI and a few other mainstream sellers get their mobo's from Clevo, then solder on CPU, GPU and drives and sell it as a 'non-upgradable' system with their logo on it.

You can't directly buy a Clevo from the chinks, so you'll have to look for a distributor in your country. Sager is the biggest in the US. Through Sager (or any other distributor of your choice) you can configure the parts that you want, and be charged accordingly. Also nothing on the system is soldered on, so you can change/upgrade basically everything but the shell and mobo.

I bought a Sager to the recommendations of /g/ (the ones that weren't deluded into believing *all* laptops were shit)

i7 7700k (Desktop CPU)
GTX 1070 8GB DDR5
16GB DDR4 RAM (8+8 in dual channel)
1 7200RPM HDD
(It has 2 HDD slots and 2 M.2 SSD slots)

cost me $2200 at the time of purchase, I think the price has gone down a bit. I also bought an SSD separately.

The things is a beast and outperforms my tower PC built in 2012. I did initially have throttling on CPU intensive tasks, a delid solved that, now temps max out at 75°C
>>
>>61518790
>Clevo

so where do you buy this magical BfP laptop?
>>
When I bought my laptop, "Gaming Laptops" were all considerably cheaper than comparable business or "normal" tier laptops. I'm guessing this was because gaming laptops generally have shitty battery life.
>>
>>61518304
I've seen some new ones that look alright. A few years ago they were all massively autistic pieces of ahit
>>
>>61518790
I have an MSI and it's the most solid laptop iv'e ever owned next to my T61 thinkpad i used to have like 7 years ago.

I spent a lot on it but i can afford it so I don't care when i see poorfags bitch about how expensive gaming laptops are.
>>
Posting here instead of making a new thread

What's the best gaymen laptop I can get for $1000 or less?

Preferably 17" or 15.6" with a good screen and high refresh rate. I had a laptop with 60hz refresh and games looked like shit with constant screen tearing
>>
>>61518819
Just Google 'Clevo Distributor'
>>
>>61518875
MSI's are technically Clevo's

I don't question how good your MSI is, but you definitely won't be able to upgrade it down the line.
>>
>>61519018
Acer Predator Helios 300, it's really good for the price, but not built too well. I'd still recommend saving up to buy a Sager. Fuck the Tower+Cheap laptop meme.
>>
Have an MSI from around 5 years ago - runs fine. Albeit a bit noisy on the fan since I never cleaned it.

Have an acer aspire vx 15 - is nice with a regular 1050 and an i5 in ther.e
Only issue is the HDD is a 5400rpm so needs to upgrade to a proper one
>>
Have an Erazer gaming laptop. Can run *almost* any game in max graphics at 60 fps.
>>
I have a friend that has a Razer laptop with an i7 and a 1060 that he uses for VR. It's awesome to be able to bring everything in a small bag vs having to keep the set-up at home.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.