[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What dead languages does /g/ still cling to?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

>>
>>61515228
C

Yeah, I went there.
>>
File: 1500677894597.gif (129KB, 300x232px) Image search: [Google]
1500677894597.gif
129KB, 300x232px
Oh hi friend you a NodeJS evangelist or a certified Oracle Java programmer
>>
>>61515259
queue the butthurt
>>
>>61515228
Perl is good for what it was made for.

I used learned it in junior in college to analyze social media archives for sociology paper and it was a breeze.

I wouldn't analyze my RNA-seq data with it, but for text handling, I can't think of much better things.
>>
>>61516356
At this point just use Python
>>
I'm learning Ruby as my first programming language right now, hear it's slowly dying everywhere except Japan
>>
>>61515228
Is perl dead? Because I've seen it at my last 3 jobs and I've barely seen a lick of python. Linux admins still use it therefore if you're a linux admin it's still useful to know.
>>
>>61515228
>perl
>dead
You misspelled Lisp.
>>
>>61516945
It doesn't matter which language is your first. Once you learn one it becomes significantly easier to learn another. So if Ruby dies you'll still be fine.
>>
>>61516992
idk, according to this site it is making a comeback, but who knows
http://www.codingdojo.com/blog/9-most-in-demand-programming-languages-of-2017/
>>
File: generdsdfdsfate.png (139KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
generdsdfdsfate.png
139KB, 500x700px
Forth is for me. It is my language. There are many languages like it but this language is mine.

It's like it completes me. It's a language i was searching for my whole life. Forth is the innards of my soul.
>>
Fortran 77
>>
>>61515259
this, and C++
>>
>>61515271
Toad.JS is the only dev language pls give me medal
>>
>>61515228
Lisp.
It was my first language, still think that it has a very nice syntaxis
>>
>>61515228
I like Perl but wouldn't mind if it died.
The biggest problem is that it's consciously designed (and taught) to produce write-only programs that are impossible to fix when they inevitably break.
>>
>>61516430
this

there are things that are simpler/shorter in Perl but Python is more universal so just get used to Python
>>
>>61515259
this, OPs pic and lisp, ml style languages, PROLOG, forth, smalltalk, REBOLs
>>
>>61515259
I wish it was.
>>
>>61521557
Oh, and I forgot SELF and any other prototype based language beside JS
>>
>>61515228
Perl remains the number one language for sysadmins.
>>
>>61515228
the perl interpreter is pretty useful when using a *nix.
i wouldn't use perl outside of a terminal though, im not even sure what i could do with it..
is it like ruby ? php?
>>
>>61522576
perl-cgi used to be a big thing didn't it?
>>
>>61522576
I wrote some GUI apps using WxPerl back in the day. Was easy.
>>
Tell me why they taught me Python in school
>>
>>61522773
there's nothing wrong with knowing python.
knowing only python is just lazy.
>>
>>61522773
Because you were in special ed
>>
>>61522842
What do I learn next??
The only other crap we worked with was VB Studio
>>
>>61522879
everyone needs one low level, straight on the metal language. why not learn C or even Rust?
>>
>>61516945

Please note that /g/ is a very biased place. You'll hear a lot of pretty weird opinions. Ruby is a great language and no, it won't die. Rails devs are in demand and will be for many years.

Also if you know Ruby, you can pick up Python or Perl in a few days. If you really know Rails, you can pick up a different MVC framework like Django or Laravel in no time.

So proceed and don't pay attention to /g/ too much..

>>61516992

See my answer above.

Perl is kinda oldschool, but it will be a nice asset for many places. There are still software companies developing in Perl, and if you want to go SysAdmin some basics in Perl will come in handy.

If you know ONLY Perl it's maybe harder to find a Job, but today people expect you to know different languages anyway, so that' not really a specific problem of Perl here.

>>61518102

Not even under the top 3 languages..

>>61522576

Perl is pretty much like Ruby.

>>61515228

I still code in VBA every now and then.
Get on my level.
>>
>>61515259
>Every operating system and hella programs especially games still written in C
>Dead language

lulz
>>
>>61523116
Games are written in C++, not C.
>>
>>61516945
>as my first programming language
I did that.
Prepare to throw out everything you learn when you use any other language.
>>
>>61523176
>Prepare to throw out everything you learn when you use any other language.
nah. this is overkill.
>>
>>61523207
It's really not. Python and Ruby both are pretty much idiosyncratic to the point of being self-contained language, very little you learn in them will be useful in other languages.
>>
>>61517008
My college lecturer always used to say that the first language you learn will be the one that you will solve problems with in your head for the rest of your life, anyone have thoughts on that?
>>
>>61516430
Python's regex sucks and perl still comes default on every Linux system unlike Python
>>
File: hmm.jpg (15KB, 400x263px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
15KB, 400x263px
>>61522576
>*nix
I've seen this pattern used a lot, and it always makes me wonder what other 'nixes there are, besides Unix, that match it.
>>
>>61523230
how you write a method in ruby is different yes, but the concept of a method is the same everywhere.
a loop, an object, a class, a socket, a regex, a dictionary, they're concepts you need to learn in any language. does that mean you give them up when you move to a new language ? i don't think so
>>61523270
linux, bsds mostly. maybe even macOS
>>
>>61523270
Minix is the only other one I know of
>>
>>61516356
Nice.
>>
>>61523300
>linux, bsds mostly. maybe even macOS
I think he meant that it is uNIX, but liNUX.
>>
>>61515228
Fortran
>>
>>61515228
Python
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.