[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Supercomputers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: 1500670797151.jpg (191KB, 960x684px) Image search: [Google]
1500670797151.jpg
191KB, 960x684px
Why is America not trying to be number one?
>>
WE ARE NUMBER ONE STOP SPREADING FAKE NEWS STUPID YUROPOOR I BET YOU WOULD VOTE FOR SHILLARY
>>
>>61513735
>VOTE FOR SHILLARY

I'm half-Russian and I would have voted for Hillary.
>>
Because liberals and progressives control the technological market and republcians hate liberals and liberal companies.
>>
Because China set the bar really, really fucking high with the TaihuLight, and it's going to be damn near impossible to top at this point while keeping the costs under control.
>>
How is this even a metric anymore? A bunch of RISC cores stuck together?
The Bing network of shittons of stratix 10s would shit on it I'm sure.
>>
>>61513780
string evidence slavs are retarded desu
>>
>>61513677
We have some that are classified, so they dont show up on the list.
>>
>>61513780
Of course you would. She sold Russians our uranium
>>
>>61513677
Using quantum mechanics is cheating.
>>
The NSA has hacked so many computers that run beowulf cluster malware to calculate stuff that it would make a mockery of this list in terms of combined computational output.
>>
>>61513677
probably america own faster supercomputers, but they can't publish it, since they're using them mostly for doing illegal spionage and dirty cover operations.
>>
>>61513677
>FP64 vs FP16
>>
>>61513677

>Power efficiency is very important. Some supercomputers (including #1 on the list) aren’t being used at full capacity because they’re so expensive to run.

>>The Tianhe-2, which reaches 33.86 petaflops per second, was ranked No. 1 in the Top500 List for the third time in the row in late June. But some researchers say the system is not being used to its full potential because of its expense. Researchers have to pay the electricity costs to use the supercomputer, which can run between 400,000 to 600,000 yuan a day (between about $64,000 to about $96,500 a day), the story said.
>>Some critics also say the developers of the Tianhe-2 focused too much on hardware, and not enough on software, forcing researchers to write their own code to use the system, the article said. Some researchers would have to spend years or a decade to write the necessary software, said Chi Xuebin, deputy director of the Chinese Academy of Science’s Computer Network and Information Centre.
>>“It is at the world’s frontier in terms of calculation capacity, but the function of the supercomputer is still way behind the ones in the U.S. and Japan,” Chi told the newspaper. “It’s like a giant with a super body but without the software to support its thinking soul.”
>>Tinahe-2, developed by the National University of Defense Technology and housed at Sun Yat-sen University in Guangdong, has served 120 clients at 34 percent of its capacity, the story said. Researchers have deployed the supercomputer for railway design, earthquake simulation, astrophysics and genetic studies.
>(It looks like to me that China wanted a supercomputer at #1 on the list, and threw enough hardware at the problem to get there, but this created some problems and is probably not representative of the state of supercomputers as a whole. I suggest treating Tinahe-2 as an outlier.)

https://www.unz.com/akarlin/moores-law-for-supercomputers/#comment-1293604
>>
>>61514407
>needing anything over uint8
good goy
>>
File: CKy9yVNVAAEdTVv.jpg (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
CKy9yVNVAAEdTVv.jpg
35KB, 600x600px
>>61513677

USA is soon number 1 again. Obama commissioned a 200-petaflop supercomputer couple years ago. It's supposed to be ready in next year or so...

SERIOUS TEXT FROM NOW ON:

I'm pretty fed up with this " Hurr durr China is now more richer and developed than USA " crap.

There's still people dying to hunger in China.
There's still people who don't have clean drinking water in China.
Sexual minorities don't have any official recognition at all in China.
Some religious minorities (Falun Gong) get prosecuted constantly by CCP in China.
Mentally disabled people are treated like animals in China.
Political prisoners get their organs taken from them without their consent (state approved organ harvesting).
There's still malaria in China.
There's SARS in China.

China and Asia in general isn't very great place at all (South-Korea and Japan are notable exceptions tho). If you think USA's wealth disparity is big, it's nothing compared to what the wealth disparity is example in China or in India.

What does it matter if your country's GDP grows at ever increasing speed if you can't even provide food and clean drinking water for all your people?

t: European
>>
>>61514774
>China and Asia in general isn't very great place at all (South-Korea and Japan are notable exceptions tho). If you think USA's wealth disparity is big, it's nothing compared to what the wealth disparity is example in China or in India.

I think Singapore and Island China are okay. Hong Kong too, until the CCP can fuck it up.

Read this: https://scholars-stage.blogspot.ca/2017/07/everything-is-worse-in-china.html
>>
>>61514448
>and not enough on software
huh? can't they just use red flag linux?
>>
>>61513677
waste of money
>>
>>61514774
>200 petaflops

>china's already at 93 petaflops
>china will put out 500 petaflops right when US puts out 200 petaflops then 1 exflops while US still hasn't funded anything for exaflop range

You know its going to happen.
>>
>>61514448
>As of June 2016, it is also ranked as the fourth most energy-efficient supercomputer in Green500

lol ok
>>
>>61514774

There's still people dying to hunger in China.
>US too
There's still people who don't have clean drinking water in China.
>US too
Sexual minorities don't have any official recognition at all in China.
>Who cares?
Some religious minorities (Falun Gong) get prosecuted constantly by CCP in China.
>Who cares?
Mentally disabled people are treated like animals in China.
>US too.
Political prisoners get their organs taken from them without their consent (state approved organ harvesting).
>Efficient
There's still malaria in China.
>It's 2017, and US has Zika
There's SARS in China.
>Nobody cares.
>>
File: eaZrosc.png (363KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
eaZrosc.png
363KB, 5000x5000px
>>61514856

Sorry you are right. I meant China and India mostly.

Singapore, Taiwan, Macau and Hong Kong are doing fine. And people's life quality in those countries is very good.

But Mainland China and some parts of India are at pretty bad shape... And it's funny how those two are exactly the ones who like to brag the most.
>>
>>61514945

Yeah, because when USA eats shit China also has eat shit or it wouldn't be as cool as USA...
>>
Google and Bing probably have super networks they're not telling anybody about
>>
>>61513677

Because the laws of diminishing returns with digital computing.

Supercomputers are fucking expensive and underlying issues with architecture become more and more painful obvious as you scale up the cluster.
>>
>>61514958
>But Mainland China and some parts of India are at pretty bad shape... And it's funny how those two are exactly the ones who like to brag the most.

Well, they are massive countries with over a billion people and millions of square kilometres of land, so some variance is expected.

In the case of China, I think the coastal are the ones that booming, while the interior isn't doing as well. The Northwest (old Manchuria) is a rust belt, if a remember correctly.

In the case of India, the south is okay while the north is literally sub-Saharan Africa-tier.
>>
>>61514945
Humanitarian issues existing in both the US and China are exacerbated in China.China has Zika as well.
>>
>>61514945
learn to use quotes you dumb fuck redditor
>>
>>61513677
It's just propaganda.
>>
>>61514104
IBM is already building a computer that will be 50% faster.
>>
>>61515087
>In the case of China, I think the coastal are the ones that booming, while the interior isn't doing as well.
I remember hearing once about how the son of the previous president, or maybe it was the president himself, woke up screaming one morning after having a nightmare that the .7 billion people in the interior lead a second Maoist communist revolution and were burning the coastal cities and killing the entire government and all the middle class and rich elites and were destroying all the wealth and development that China has been building up over the last few decades.

It was probably propaganda, but I don't doubt it's something they consider as a serious concern. Especially considering the whole world is going into an other recession and China won't be doing so well when America and Europe doesn't have the money to buy their plastic shit and cheap steel and electronics. Also, everyone knows the water wars are coming. WATER WAAAARS!
>>
>>61514945
jesus christ go back to fucking reddit
>>
During the cold war we used them for nuclear research but now we really don't do that anymore.

>>61514897
this
>>
>>61514774

/thread
>>
>>61514448
So, could they make up the cost of running it by mining crypto?
>>
>>61514774
Thanks, Obama.
>>
>best US supercomputer uses Opterons

3rd world country confirmed
>>
>>61514774
>Sexual minorities don't have any official recognition at all in China.
>Some religious minorities (Falun Gong) get prosecuted constantly by CCP in China.
>Mentally disabled people are treated like animals in China.
>Political prisoners get their organs taken from them without their consent (state approved organ harvesting).
what exactly is the issue with these points?
>>
so should I start dumping my Chinese traffic folder or what?
>>
>>61513677
Because the U.S. doesn't need to collect, analyze, and censor all internet traffic in the country *wink*

In all seriousness though, the U.S. probably has better HPC facilities, but they're not public.

IIRC even the leaks about PRISM in 2012 had it above Tianhe-2.
>>
>>61513677
a warehouse full of bitcoin ASICs doesn't count as a supercomputer xi.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.