[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Interview prep

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

File: cableses.jpg (43KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
cableses.jpg
43KB, 403x403px
Hello anons,
any of you work in data center administration? preferably on the networking side not so much the systems side

I'm having an interview for a job I really want, I'm a network engineer myself but I've only worked in ISP land so I was wondering what a serious interview would sound like for a data center networking position

any anons could help me out with some rough guidelines?
like architectures, keywords, essential stuff that's different from other environments
>>
>>61505425
>Datacenter admin
Have fun being a cable monkey
>>
Just laugh condescendingly and say "too easy!" every time you're asked a technical question.
>>
>>61505455
Mno not really, field services are usually outsourced or provided by the colo providers

But thanks for the bump anyway
>>
Don't show them your pic. That rack although pretty is wired improperly. They should have alternated patch panels and switches, rather than put all the panels on one end and the switches at the other.

The longer cables added needless expense and require cable management. They could have just used 6" cables instead which would have eliminated the need for cable management, the installation would have been much faster, and swapping out a cable would have been far easier.
>>
>>61505659

>They should have alternated patch panels and switches, rather than put all the panels on one end and the switches at the other.

I have literally never heard of this. It would look like shit too. And then there's the issue of the 1 meter minimum length according to ANSI, TIA, and EIA specifications.
>>
File: YGwPti0.jpg (498KB, 2448x1836px) Image search: [Google]
YGwPti0.jpg
498KB, 2448x1836px
>>61505725
>And then there's the issue of the 1 meter minimum length according to ANSI, TIA, and EIA specifications.
go post a link to this because i'm willing to be it doesnt exist. why do you think they even make 6" patch cables?

>I have literally never heard of this.
it is common.
>>
File: interchange.jpg (145KB, 550x367px)
interchange.jpg
145KB, 550x367px
>>61505798
>>61505725
see how much easier this shit is to install and replace, and how much cleaner it looks
>>
>>61505725
alternating patch panels and switches is clearly superior
>>
File: 1436304238986.jpg (79KB, 640x651px) Image search: [Google]
1436304238986.jpg
79KB, 640x651px
>>61505659
didn't want to bother finding a different pic lol
I liked it because of the colors :3

frankly I haven't physically touched a server (that's not my home one) for the better part of 4 years now

>tfw thread has been hijacked by technicians
>>
>>61505869
>i'm a network engineer
>i've never had to be in a IDF room

>m-m-muh technicians
please
>>
>>61505890
I didn't mean it like that anon, it just wasn't the point of the thread desu

I'd be tangled up in spaghetti cables within minutes if I'd be put in there
>and I'd need a step ladder for everything
>>
File: 1492714052531.jpg (378KB, 800x1186px) Image search: [Google]
1492714052531.jpg
378KB, 800x1186px
I'm taking computer network engineering at university which also gives me a CCNA, i can't wait to start working mang
>>
>>61505969
have fun anon, but if you want to get into it, you have to go far beyond CCNA

unfortunately the cisco courses are a tad behind with the times, but they teach you the basics pretty well
>>
>>61505866

I didn't really realize the mistake in ops post. But, yeah; that does save in cables and cable management by a huge margin.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.