[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Ethernet so slow?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: fucking internet.png (59KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
fucking internet.png
59KB, 1536x864px
I'm using a Cat6 cable, should be getting at least 40mbps. Router is Netgear Nighthawk R7000. Obviously a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. Motherboard is Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3
>>
File: STOP! YOU HAVE VOILATED THE LAW.png (488KB, 2560x1380px) Image search: [Google]
STOP! YOU HAVE VOILATED THE LAW.png
488KB, 2560x1380px
I can confirm on mobile that wireless is outputting 60mbps, and using latest drivers and BIOS revision
>>
Change the ethernet cable and also change the port on the router that you're using.

If you have another NIC you can test you might wanna try that too.
>>
>>61492869
Ask ISP to give you a new modem.
>>
>>>>>>>>netgear
i could make a food analogy but I'm not gonna because you'd probably just get hungry
>>
>>61494517
That was a >$200 router when it came out
>>
>>61492869
What modem?

If arris/Motorola surfboard consider suicide
>>
>>61492869
WinMSDOS? There's a reason Killer NICs exist.
>>
Sorry for not responding bois, had to go make myself lunch
>>61494882
Well shit, its a Cisco.
>>61494517
See >>61494555, plus the firmware is open-source
>>61494911
Excuse me? Please explain
>>
I even put the cable directly into the modem, and im still getting low speeds
>>
>>61492869
>Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Found your problem. Buy a non-chink adapter.
>>
>>61495048
built in to the motherboard, /g/ was the one who told me not to get one. i really dpont want to pay $30
>>
>>61495079
>i really dpont want to pay $30
Then suffer. I bought a Realtek gigabit card that performed worse than the onboard Intel fast ethernet. Realtek a shit, buy something used.
>>
>>61495041
Call spectrum. Reinstall the drivers.
>>
Have you tried a different ethernet cable yet.
>>
>>61495467
Yes, of course. I just bought this new one, and i tested my old one. They both give me the same speed
>>61495294
Im thinking about it. Maybe ill call and get the modem replaced or replace it myself
>>61495285
Alright, ill consider after i call spectrum
>>
>>61492869
Is it 60 mbps or 60 mBps?
>>
>>61495726
mbps, 60 megabytes per second would be amazing
>>
File: real world 1gbps.jpg (93KB, 1162x468px) Image search: [Google]
real world 1gbps.jpg
93KB, 1162x468px
>>61496028
100+ is even better
>>
>>61496046
Damn, yuropeople have it good for internet speeds. LA ISPs suck ass, its just Spectrum and AT&T mostly
>>
>>61492869
You may want to call sometimes it's best to do so.
>>
>>61492869
Test LAN speed before going internet perhaps?
It'll narrow down the search.

If yer not getting "at least 40mbps" LAN then you fucked up (cable, network adapter, router); can narrow that down to only cable/adapter if you do a direct one-to-one ethernet connection.
Otherwise - they fucked up. Call ISP and shout loudly until they comply.
>>
File: 1gbpschromeextension.webm (1MB, 332x418px) Image search: [Google]
1gbpschromeextension.webm
1MB, 332x418px
>>61496095
This is washington DC mate.

$70/month, no data caps.
>>
File: IMG_3614.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3614.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>61496116
LAN is the fucking problem, wireless isnt. It might be the onboard gigabit ethernet controller. I think I'm going to have to RMA the motherboard. This is speeds on wireless on my streaming and shitposting tablet
>>61496127
Lucky, i think charter has a secret terabyte cap, and then they start throttling, but they still fucking throttle at night
>>
>>61496261
Got any laptops laying around to test with?

Just something else with an ethernet NIC.
>>
>>61496261
>Lucky, i think charter has a secret terabyte cap, and then they start throttling, but they still fucking throttle at night
Technically there is a soft data cap at 10TB, if you keep crossing that point for a few months they offer to push you over to a business account, or cancel your contract without an ETF. (since they're the ones terminating service they can't charge you an ETF)
>>
>>61496280
Nah, i got my mom's abandoned 2013 mac, but thats about it. I dont have an adapter for ethernet to thunderbolt or usb or whatever
>>61496294
Actually, i just looked it up, and since the merger of TWC and Spectrum just happened, the FCC is prohibiting them form placing data camps on customers for a couple of years. So ill be good for a while
>>
>>61496331
Well you can RMA the board, but if that's not the issue then it's probably the router.
>>
>>61496366
I dont think its the issue of the router, each of the four ports seems to function the same and give me the same speeds. Even when im plugged in directly to the modem i get shit speeds. I think i should either get a wired/wireless pcie adapter. I would appreciate some recommendations
>>
>>61496429
If you do any sort of gaming or anyhting that requires low latency, dont even bother with wifi.

I like the I210-T1

I've got an I350-T2 in my pfsense box.

You could probably get something cheaper though if you aren't doing anything exciting on your network
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Gigabit-Network-Adapter-EXPI9301CTBLK/dp/B001CY0P7G
>>
>>61496473
Eh, i do some gaming. CSGO is the only thing i need low latency on. I just need something that i can use to get advertised speeds and not be too shit like this realtek controller
>>
>>61492869
Any packet loss or interface errors for your nic?
>>
>>61496726
Nope, just seems to be a DOA controller
>>
>>61496780
What's it negotiating at? Make sure it's the same as your router.
>>
>>61496822
What do you mean by negotiating?
>>
1st - Make sure that you don't have any applications running in the background (torrent client ,etc )

Do a speed test.. Still messed up ? Continue reading.

2nd
Try a network speedtest locally. (Pull a file from PC1 to PC2 or something )

If okay, continue.
Messed up here too? Your router is misconfigured.

3rd. Is your wireless network secured properly? Do you see any suspecious activity through your router? Could be that someone is using all of your bandwidth.

4rd. What type of a connection do you have? Fibre, DSL, Cable ?

Here's also the part where I'd blame your ISP.
>>
If you want further help, then drop me an email at [email protected].
>>
>>61496852
1000/full, 100/full, duplex etc. If these don't match you're gonna have problems
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.