[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is learning dvorak worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

Is learning dvorak worth it?
>>
>>61492078
no
>>
>>61492078
don't know but colemak for sure is
>>
Not really.
>>
What's wrong with QWERTY?
>>
>>61492219
>having your fingers all over the place
>>
>>61492078
colemak
>>
>>61492078
no
I was born using qwerty and I will die using qwerty
>>
I've been using Dvorak for years. It's way better than Qwerty. The only problem is when you have to use somebody else's computer, but that's not really a problem because you usually don't type much when using somebody else's computer and you could always just use an online Dvorak to Qwerty converter if you can't change the keyboard settings.
>>
>>61492486
you can still use qwerty, its just a bit cumbersome. dont scare the newfag
>>
I wanted to, then I realized any time I used my phone or someone else's computer I'd still be stuck with QWERTY
>>
>>61492486
just learn to use both, I type dvorak mostly but can switch back to qwerty after a few seconds of adjusting to my secondary muscle memory
>>
>>61492516
>>61492543
I have little doubt that you could know both simultaneously. I just haven't made the effort to learn Qwerty alongside Dvorak because I don't use other people's computers a lot.
>>61492534
Using Qwerty on my phone is not effected by my use of Dvorak on my keyboard. They're two completely different methods of hand motion, so I think your brain just separates them.
>>
>>61492078
what the fuck is that thing
>>
>>61492078
Not when colemak exists
>>
>>61492766
A keyboard layout that was designed to allow you to move your fingers less when typing so that your chances of injury go down. It does this by putting the most common English letters on and around the home row. E is a good example: it is the most common letter in English and is in the home row in Dvorak but not Qwerty.
>>
>>61492620
>doubt that you could know both
you can, you just grow out of one because you habituate to another so you will be able to still use qwerty but you will just see how clumsy and unnatural it is
>im promoting colemak btw
>>
>>61492800
fun fact

querty letters to spell typewriter are all on the top row

see the 3, 4 and 5th keys on the colemak homerow left to right
>>
>>61492829
I have not little but no doubt that you did not fully comprehend the first sentence of the post that you replied to.
>>61492861
STD?
Do you prefer Colemak over Dvorak? If so, why?
>>
>>61492078
As most people have said
1: No
2: colemak if you want to keep your fingers primarily on one row.
And lastly, you'll usually be faced with qwerty anyways, so unless you take your keyboard with you and want to deal with programs having issues on occasion its probably better not to bother.
But It could be an interesting addition /hobby
>>
File: IMG_20170720_200925.jpg (118KB, 700x1118px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170720_200925.jpg
118KB, 700x1118px
>>61492078
Yes yes yes yes.
>>
>>61492958
but you already know querty dont you?
>whatever

idk dvorak, i tried colemak i regret nothing
>>
>>61493053
>in moaning screaming voice
>>
sadly no

qwerty is the quintessential example of "broken gets fixed, crappy is forever"

the marginal gains of switching to dvorak or colemak aren't worth the problems you'll encounter day to day
>>
>>61492219
It's inefficient compared to other typing formats. It was designed to be so, so that type writer jams would happen less frequently.

However, the majority of typing efficiency and speed comes form the hands and muscle memory, not from the layout. If you type slowly in QWERTY, you will type slowly in DVORAK, or other formats. If you type quickly, you will type quickly no matter what. DVORAK is actually marginally faster (roughly 10%, depending on user), but you have to consider the time it takes to relearn your muscle memory to the new format. There's also the consideration that you would interfere with your workflow less and also improve your efficiency simply by taking the same amount of time to improve your skills at QWERTY.

On an individual basis, it doesn't mean very much, unless you spend the majority of your waking time typing and your interest deals with years worth of productivity. From a perspective of strict workflow efficiency across an entire work force, you could possibly increase the throughput of all typing based jobs by 10%, which is significant at a macro-economic level.
>>
>>61492078
You gain 10% typing speed on your own computer.
You lose 75% of typing speed on other computers.

If you use your own keyboard for the vast majority of time, and you type A LOT (eg you're a writer), then it might be worth it, but for general screwing around it's a no.
>>
>>61493307
not really about speed desu
>>
>>61493343
Exactly. I do 99% of my typing on my computer. I'm going to use whatever is the best for my hand/finger health.
>>
Learn Colemak
>>
>>61493497
>not programming by voice only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWyMA_bT7UI
>>
>>61492078

I only use dvorak because I couldn't touch type with qwerty, I was never taught how to type properly in school, so I attempted to teach myself and gained a shitton of bad habits because of it. I changed to dvorak so I could start over with a fresh muscle memory.

It's more of a curse to me though, It's a pain in the ass whenever you have to use someone else's computer but I just can't be asked be learn to type all over again.
>>
>>61493497
What do you do the other 1% of typing on?
>>
>>61493240
>61493240
This is a quality post, my friend.
>>
>>61493633
Work computers. Why?
>>
>>61493557
Haha that's awesome. Maybe one day..
>>
>>61493557

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzJ0CytAsec
>>
>>61492078
Yes. It's faster and waaay more comfortable.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.