[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /g/ a couple of days ago i asked you about your opinions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: logo-withBackground.png (100KB, 512x256px) Image search: [Google]
logo-withBackground.png
100KB, 512x256px
hey /g/
a couple of days ago i asked you about your opinions on rust for professional use and i got a lot of negative views so i started looking for some more non mainstream languages and stumbled upon nim, and so far i like it.
my question is can nim make it into the mainstream, and big companies?
>>
What problem does Nim solve?
>>
>>61491185
>my question is can nim make it into the mainstream, and big companies?

No.
>>
>>61491185
nim seems to be like a better Haxe, I see it well suited for stuff like scripting like Lua, also it seems easy to use.

However, the only problem nim answers is "can you get c-like performance with python-like syntax?" And that's nice but kind of redundant.

Rust has a lot of problems, it tried to glue together C++ and Ocaml, and the result wasn't the best (the syntax is messy, there are a billion ways of doing everything so is hard to get good habits).

But if you stick to it, and learn "the Rust way of doing things" (tm) (ie. do the Ocaml way and avoid all C++isms), it's really powerful and truly delivers on its "0 cost abstraction promise", which is something you might want.

Also Rust as Samsung and Mozilla behind it. Nim doesn't have such broad support.
>>
>>61491803
Not op, but I more or less agree with you. Rust is not perfect, but it's the best we have.
C++ is a disaster. Everyone has his own special way of writing C++. Some use raw pointers, some disable exceptions and some use it as a C with templates.
C is in its own league. It's simple and fast. No other language fits into this category as well as C.
I feel like Nim is more of a competitor to Java since it uses a garbage collector.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.