[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DC Connector/Jack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: HTB1o5UtRXXXXXbtapXXq6xXFXXXs.jpg (94KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
HTB1o5UtRXXXXXbtapXXq6xXFXXXs.jpg
94KB, 700x525px
What kind of connector is this? It's for Mini atx.

Why is there not one standard for DC plugs and every manufacture produces their own horseshit?
>>
>>61488693
Some variety of barrel jack. There are standard sizes. Measure it and figure out which one you have.

Or if you're going to be such a little bitch, cut off that one and put one you like on
>>
>>61488777

That's the problem, I can't find it from the "standards", who invented this shit? I'm furious.
>>
They're called a barrel jack. Different devices require different voltages and more or less current and some devices may even use AC instead of DC. Manufacturers use their own sizes to discourage people from using incompatible power supplies.
>>
>>61488693
>>61488777
>>61488937
It's called a "PicoPSU"
http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id.417/.f

It's a small DC to DC power supply.
>>
Who gives a shit? Cut, strip and splice.
>>
>>61488957
If I use 22V supply but it needs 12V, will it draw as much as necessary or I die?
>>
>>61489053
It will probably burn up.

Voltage should be the same, sometimes you can get by with a little bit less but usually you want it to be the same.

Current can be the same or more than the original specs. A device will only draw as much current as it needs. Current is like a measure of potential capacity.
>>
>>61488937
they kind of predate stantads, saying that, they are 95% of the time center positive, barrel -negative - and denoted by external diameter - so 9V/12mm or whatever

they're a piece of piss to change

>>61489053
no, that would be magic smoke time

current is different, the deveice will draw what it needs up to what the supply can provide.
>>
>>61489116
>no, that would be magic smoke time

So if the spec says the PSU is DC 12V 160W, I can use 12V adapter only? Thnx for saving my life desu.
>>
>>61489172
as a very rough rule of thumb - can probably get away with +/- 10% - too much, magic smoke, too little it does nothing.

Usually, is always exceptions
>>
>>61489212
so since I got your attention, what kind of DC adaptor should I order? Anything 12V, but what else do I need to look out for? Trying hard not to die here, thnx.
>>
>>61489053
>Operates at only 12V.
>>
>>61488693

Check if it's center-positive or center-negative. Use a multimeter to check that there's conductivity (0 ohm resistance) between the center pin and barrel of the barrel jack to one of the ATX ground pins. If it's center-positive the barrel will go to ground, if it's center-negative the pin will.

If you don't have a multimeter, buy one - a cheap meter is only ~$10, the same price as a cheap set of screwdrivers, and is probably just as useful (e.g. if something breaks you can measure power supply voltage to check if it's the power supply or the device).

As for the jack, once you know it's polarity just buy a standard universal laptop charger of the right voltage and current/wattage, one of the standard suite of connectors should fit.
>>
>>61489053
You'll fucking kill it. Provide the right voltage.
>>
>>61488777
It's literally on the wikipedia page. Measure your shit. Buy what matches

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector
>>
>>61488693
>not being able to solder your own connector if it's that much of a problem

>>61489053
it depends which exact model you have. some require an exact regulated 12v or you fry your components and some have a built in regulator and can handle a range of voltage.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.