[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Google killed Firefox

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 227
Thread images: 16

File: 1485745598307.png (174KB, 993x1508px) Image search: [Google]
1485745598307.png
174KB, 993x1508px
So, it looks like Google's the main reason why Firefox is dead.

https://andreasgal.com/2017/07/19/firefox-marketshare-revisited/

How do you feel about an advertising company and an Internet monopolist killing off the only private web browser?
>>
Firefox killed themselves by trying to appeal to the mass market retards instead of their poweruser and prosumer userbase.
>>
>>61476711
That's not the whole story. Chrome appeals to the same demographics and yet they're growing.
>>
>>61476711
FPBP
>>
FF went bonkers when they went anti-free speech against their founder and forced him to resign
>>
ff gained popularity because ie sucked. it lost popularity because it started to suck.
>>
>>61476689
Just because google has all the market share doesn't mean Mozilla can't develop firefox. If firefox dies, it's nobody's fault but Mozilla's.
>>
>>61476711
>>61476726
Firefox died because the former CEO decided the web browser was good enough and then they went on to other projects that failed miserably (e.g. Firefox OS). Now that Firefox actually is good they probably won't get any market share back because it's not significantly better than Chrome nor does Mozilla have the same capability to market their browser as Google does.
>>
>le epin advertising company may may

Man you firefox shills are either getting paid well to post this tripe or really are just completely detached from reality.
>>
>>61476711
So it's worse to fail in dominating a larger demographic, even if the 'failed' share still results in a larger install base than owning a niche?
>>
>>61476766
>implying people switched from Firefox to Chrome because pop-ups told them to do so

That might work for retarded IE users. People abandoned Firefox because it started to suck.
>>
>>61476882
Whoops, was meant for >>61476689
>>
>>61476689
Firefox like most /g/ recommended software is a result of baby duck syndrome. Same goes for VLC.

Firefox was good when IE was the second best option, and while Chrome has been better for 6 years now, /g/ continues to use Firefox for stupid shit like ricing or the pure ignorance that superior software exists.
>>
Winning the browser wars is very easy. Just make your browser faster than other browsers. That's literally the only reason why people went from Firefox to Chrome. Now that Chrome has all the market they don't care about speed anymore so you can notice that it's becoming a resource hog. It's the best time for Firefox to invest in optimizations and strike back.
>>
>>61476689
I personally dropped FF because it got slower and slower over a few years despite my computer getting faster during that time. The slow as fuck startup and closing with a lot of tabs were especially annoying for me, not to mention that sometimes the entire browser would stutter when a single tab was loading and scrolling was never consistently smooth. Then they announced they would kill support for their old extensions and that was the last straw, I cut my losses and switched to a Chromium build without all the Google account bullshit.

I actually still use FF at work, scrolling still stutters both on Windows and on Linux and when you try to close the browser it still hangs around in the background after the window is gone in order to save the session to disk. That's fine and all but if for instance FF is closing because the system is shutting down its session gets fucked. Shit with a lot of heavy JS also tends to stutter and doesn't animate smoothly, such as online maps. It's not as good as it used to be a few years ago and it still seems to be heading in the wrong direction.
>>
>>61476730
Dis^
>>
>>61476689
>Firecucks are this mad at Google for advertising their own services through their own website

l m a o
>>
use brave and sleipnir instead
>>
Well Microsoft got fined a whole ton for doing this with IE and had to add a neutral-looking browser choice. I don't see why Google would be less innocent than Microsoft when they're basically doing the same thing.
>>
>fireshit complaining about google after they aggressively shilled for them by making google search the default homepage for firefox for years
lmao they don't deserve and won't get my pity
>>
>>61476726
>Chrome appeals to the same demographics and yet they're growing.
hahaha
The only decent thing in Chrome for devs is the element inspector and task manager so you can see memory use of your site in total.

The browser is horribly anti-user beyond that.
It's for literal dumb-fucks.
It's strict as fuck, prevents you from doing anything all because some autistic cunt on the developer forums (Ben) decided homogeneity was better than customization.
One Chrome to rule them all.
Then they hacked in that shitty themeing system as a compromise. (and even tried to make money off it)
>>
Reminds me of black people blaming every bad thing they've done on whites
>>
>>61476730
Hwat
>>
>>61476729
>>61476711
You're both fucking stupid. Firefox is the only thing limiting Google Chrome in arbitrarily deciding which [privacy] W3C standards worldwide users will have access to.

If you believe yourself as being a power user and if you don't care about that, better create a Steam/Netflix handle right now.
>>
>>61476689
i think it's time Mozilla dies
Firefox will be retaken by the masses
by masses i mean 4 or 5 people, but it will be worth
>>
Firefox + Thunderbird 4 lyfe, yo

I tried other combos, like Chromium + Claws Mail, xombrero (now dead), Seamonkey (stillborn), and others, but FF+TB is the internet suite for me

The only thing I miss is Chromium Signal app, but not really because getting multiple notifications for each text just stressed me out

Fuck the haters. I'd even use Pale Moon if I ran Windows/was a furry
>>
>there are people who use firefox post-3.5
>>
>>61478479
Firefox has already been taken by the masses and forked dozens of times, and they all suck ass
>>
>>61478495
How's Thunderbird with Gmail? I've put off from Thunderbird for a long time because I heard it acts weird with Gmail, for example, no archive folder.
>>
>>61476689
yeah, it has notihing to do with firefox being SJW cucks...
>>
Mozilla should incorporate something that blocks browser "recommendations" for Chrome and Edge, it's simply fair for them to do so. Having uBlock Origin installed already blocks Chrome recommendations whenever you visit Google.
>>
File: thinking.png (143KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.png
143KB, 600x600px
>>61476689
Does anyone remember the last time Firefox actually improved? Electrolysis (multi-process) took fucking years to work, and killed XUL extensions in the process; Gecko is outdated and Servo is vaporware made to shill Rust; the memory usage became bigger and bigger with each update (this can be due to websites getting shittier, but the lack of optimization is also a problem); and, instead of trying to work on its strengths (customization, dev friendliness, etc), it tried to become a second Chrome.

Google didn't kill Firefox, Firefox killed itself.
>>
Firefox is losing because it's shit. They literally stopped developing it and started making a shitty mobile OS for shitty phones. Meanwhile Google improved browser technology to the point where it's miles ahead.

I think Google deserves to be sued for that annoying Chrome pushing. Same reason Microsoft got sued. But you people are kidding yourselves if you think Firefox is better than Chrome. Unlike IE, Chrome is actually a state of the art browser.
>>
>>61478523
Works pretty good out of the box, just set it up today
>>
>>61476711
Wrong. Firefox killed themselves by turning into a bloated, slow, awful mess instead of being fast and agile.

It got to the point where I had to restart my Firefox browser twice a day to combat the slowdown. I have no such problems with Chrome.

That's why I left, and that's why many people left. Firefox is just shit. Maybe they are fixing it now with some of the recent updates but I don't believe it for a second. Maybe it will be quicker in the first few hours of use but I expect it will bog down just like before.
>>
SJW are the main reason Firefox is dead.
>>
>>61476689
firefox killed themselves by being retarded. google just picked the corpse apart
>>
File: 1495278672464.jpg (132KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1495278672464.jpg
132KB, 800x800px
>>61476689
Boo hoo, Google made a product that's actually good. If Firefox were better, people wouldn't have kept using Chrome, even if they decided to give it a try after seeing one of those ads.
>>
File: image.jpg (106KB, 388x310px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106KB, 388x310px
I advertised Firefox to my normie friends by using it in front of them and made some of them actually prefer it over Chrome. Use your social outreach to fight the botnet, retards.
>>
>>61479305
Piss off SJW.

The world hates you.
>>
>>61476689
>implying microsoft advertising edge isn't literally the same thing
it's their product. google does not have any monopolies, people choose to use them because they are better than everyone else AND they don't have to sign up with a phone #

what killed firefox is that firefox stagnated
chrome shot ahead in performance
then they got extensions and unlike firefox at the time, you didnt have to restart with any extension installs
so mozilla tried to copy google
they created an abomination of a UI that only looked meh with full aero effects, otherwise it was trash
and although you could get the old look back, not many people bothered figuring out how
because chrome ran better, looked better, and was the "hip" new browser

oddly enough, what originally pushed me to chrome (back in the v2.0 days) was the fact that i could move tabs between windows. firefox let you remove tabs and make new windows out of them, but you couldn't put them back in the original window, which sucked.
>>
Switched to Chrome after I had issues with Firefox being slow and occasionally crashing. Chrome is kinda shit now with concern to customization though. Trying out Brave right now, if that doesn't pan out will probably switch back to a Firefox clone.
>>
>>61476689
Like always someone new will rise from the ashes and make a new browser. There use to be only Internet explorer and Safari. Then Firefox came in and then Chrome did as well.
>>
>>61476738
This. This this this.
I switched to FF for performance and customization.
But FF got slow, or at least, its slowness became apparent as soon as I touched Chrome.
I tried Chrome when they first got theme support (I think version 2 or 3?), but immediately noticed I could drag tabs out and back into the same window. Firefox had nothing like this, you could pop tabs out, but they weren't going back, and I accidentally did that way too many times.
Firefox tried to catch up, but it was too late. Also, the redesign looked pretty good with Aero on 7, but a lot of PCs had shitty iGPUs that had to use the basic theme, so it looked like shit by comparison to Chrome.
It's a common story in tech - companies stop innovating and get overtaken by newcomers. Happened to IE, now Firefox.
>>
>>61479471
So use chrome then?
>>
>>61476942
yep, the performance just isnt up to par
i remember becoming frustrated because a clean install of ff would stutter on a fresh windows install with less than 10 tabs open
and that was on websites that didnt use any plugins
now, it's better, but if a website uses NPAPI plugins, it tends to be ridiculously slow. chrome's custom flash was a genius idea
chrome might be a resource hog, but feels smoother
it also never implemented that "smooth scrolling" BS that made me feel like i didnt actually have control over my scroll wheel
>>
Rule of thumb: don't trust stuff you didn't compile yourself.

I'll strongly suggest to NOT FF flavours.

If you really need a Gecko based browser (for requestPolicy, cookieMonster, uBlockOrigin and NoScript, lets say), your best bet is recompiling Iceweasel (from Debian sources) yourself.

If you just want something not-100%-Google, check Midori (http://midori-browser.org/) or Surf (http://surf.suckless.org/).

The thing is tho, not a single browser will protect you from the massive tracking and drag net happening today (check superCookies).

The only way to dodge it is by not using it.

Be mindful of the websites you visit, use a VPN if you can afford , if you can't, consider a Tor, but don't trust it. Use as many resources to avoid browsing as possible
(videos/media/streaming via mplayer directly; news with RSS and newsbeuter; chat with irssi or tox).

Peace suckas
>>
Firefox (well Waterfox) has kept me for a couple reasons.
1: Tree Style Tabs
2: The address bar search functionality is considerably better in my experience
>>
>>61479504
I do use Chrome.
I've been using it since they introduced themes. I remember when all of the themes were on 1 page, all made by Google, way before the Chrome web store.
>>
>>61479588
Even Nightly?
>>
>>61476942
Waterfox didn't have stuttering issues which I experienced with Firefox.
>>
Has /g/ already given up on making its own browser?
>>
>>61476689
both are shit
>>
>>61478397
>advertising
Sometimes their shit only works in chrome properly.
>>
>>61479637
No.
>>
Install Waterfox
https://waterfoxproject.org
>>
>>61478550
Implying Jewoogle isn't the most powerful SJW in the world.
>>
>>61479006
>Firefox killed themselves by turning into a bloated, slow, awful mess instead of being fast and agile.
Thank Rust for that.
>>
>>61479771
Convince me.
>>
>>61476689
Why would I use Firefox if it's just a Chrome imitation?
Rather use the original that the shitty copy.
>>
>>61478550
>>61479056
>People unironically believe this
Their CEO got kicked in April 2014 and Firefox marketshare started dropping in 2010.

The picture in the OP is one of the only, if not the only reason for why Firefox lost market share because Google plastered the sites normies use 90% of the time they're at a computer, Youtube and Google, with ads for Chrome about how it's faster and normies only care about how fast a browser is.

Using speed as the only reason for using one browser over the other in 2017 is retarded unless you're using a PC and internet connection from 2008
>>
>>61479951
>FF finally beats IE
>after Chrome has won
Tragic.
>>
>>61479951
lol, it will be below 5% in 3 years tops...

RIP in piece Firecuxx
>>
so glad I use pale moon
>>
File: Hmm.jpg (42KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
Hmm.jpg
42KB, 720x405px
>>61479305
>thinks he can escape botnets while having an internet connection
>>
>>61479903
All of the data being sent to mozilla is disabled, allows unsigned extensions, it's made by one guy who takes community input and fixes the things that are wrong with firefox.
>>
>>61476931
Imo ff is quite fast ( or I have a decent rig don't know). On a cheapo laptop I was using at a project on a customer it was horrible to use chrome.
I always hated chrome due to how it spawns endless threads like hell, now Mozilla is going same route.
There is another reason I don't want use a shit so riddled with telemetry.
Also I hate how chrome render some sites.
>>
>>61479951
What the fuck is UC browser?
>>
File: C7Jb18YUwAEw_r3.png large.png (206KB, 1863x1540px) Image search: [Google]
C7Jb18YUwAEw_r3.png large.png
206KB, 1863x1540px
>People in this thread unironically believe Firefox are bigger SJWs than Google

Ho boy do I have some news for you people
>>
>>61478698
>I think Google deserves to be sued for that annoying Chrome pushing. Same reason Microsoft got sued

It was shortly after chrome became a thing that the EU sued microsoft for the anti-competitive thing. I remember google also insisting the list of browsers displayed should be in alphabetical order, chrome being first for that reason.

Then there's a malware dier distribution methods of just bundling opt-out chrome into every software installer under the sun. This alone is probably the main reason I don't use chrome.

Then again I've never found FF slow, it's always been network connection that's been the limiting factor. Only time it's slow is on my phone or atom laptop, devices which are slow regardless of what they're doing.
>>
>>61479392
Sincerely between using chrome and edge if I had to choose it would be edge. It's faster and less bloated than chrome, while I hate both
>>
>>61479951
I'm surprised IE is so low, I know a lot of government computers use it as default and I'd imagine a lot of businesses use it as well.
>>
>>61476689
Or maybe it's because Chrome is the fastest browser on the market and supports most standards?
>>
>>61479873
>blaming Rust
nigga...
>>
>>61476740
If nobody generates content that works on Firefox, why bother?

>>61478475
>Firefox is the only thing limiting Google Chrome in arbitrarily deciding which [privacy] W3C standards worldwide users will have access to.
Really, now. Any sad sack programmer can cobble together a browser using Electron, even Brendan Eich.

>>61479411
>There use to be only Internet explorer and Safari
underageb&
>>
>>61476689
Nah dog, I switched to Chrome because Firefox was a bloated piece of shit.
>>
Things normies don't care about

> muh performance
> muh firefox pandering to sjw's
> muh botnet

Things normies care about

> muh brand recognition: "I know who google is I'll just use them"
>>
Chrome is just the better browser. If I want to watch something on the side while playing a game, Firefox kills my performance where Chrome doesn't.
>>
>>61480155
> muh performance
>Implying normies don't care about an ad that literally says "this website works better on Chrome" when they go on Youtube
>>
>>61478698
>Go to McDonalds
>They have all of their menu items displayed above the counter
>WOOOOOW somebody sue McDonalds for making me choose their fries!
>>
I've been using Firefox since I started using the internet like 14 years ago and I have no reason to change since it works exactly in the way I expect it to do. Chrome is fucking AIDS to use if you have lots of tabs open since it just squishes them together and makes it impossible to even see the icons after a certain point.
>>
>>61480155
Why would a normie ever install a new browser?
>>
>>61480091
If it was written in C and C++ that shit would fly.
>>
>>61480221
>fucking AIDS
>having 20+ tabs open

Pot meet kettle
>>
>>61476925
>Firefox was good when IE was the second best option, and while Chrome has been better for 6 years now, /g/ continues to use Firefox for stupid shit like ricing or the pure ignorance that superior software exists.

Firefox is currently faster and less of a resource hog. Chrome is also a privacy nightmare.
>>
>>61478413
>use brave and sleipnir instead

Aside from being too lazy to install an adblocker and/or participating in the "muh Brendan Eich" memes, what is the point of using Brave? I'm asking as someone who is currently posting this via Brave.
>>
File: 1500580944246.png (19KB, 881x365px) Image search: [Google]
1500580944246.png
19KB, 881x365px
>>61476689 >>61476766 >>61476882 >>61476925 >>61476942 >>61478479 >>61478582 >>61478698 >>61479006 >>61479056 >>61479149 >>61479266 >>61479364 >>61479541

hmmm...
google software hugboxing
hmmm....
actively shilling for a botnet
hmmm.....
"lmao SJW cuck" / "SJW ruined it", very reminiscent of Apple's "People will think less of you professionally" / "Pajeet scum" shill technique
hmmm......
firefox is working great on my 4gb of ram + 120gb SSD, regardless of how bloated the web gets
hmmm.......
They fail to bring up palememe or waterfox, despite solving all issues in two different ways, almost like they don't lurk here often
hmmm........
using arguments about how chrome whooped firefox's ass 8 years ago and how they objectively lost and still are losing, glancing over the fact it is a viable solution over using a fucking botnet
hmmm.........
5 seconds of boot time really make me want to switch to an omnipresent botnet
hmmm..........
hmmm...........
hmmm............

Something just isn't sitting right with me on this thread for a board comprised of a large amount of privacy and security enthusiasts

>>61478582
>>61479588
These are both legitimate criticisms.
>>
File: 1497708558816.gif (2MB, 202x360px) Image search: [Google]
1497708558816.gif
2MB, 202x360px
>>61480342
>Firefox is currently faster and less of a resource hog
>>
>>61480232
it was originally and it still ran like garbage.
>>
You guys shall check firefox nightly with new sjw 'photon' interface that replaced (((australis))). It got much faster. But still not as fast as palemoon is.
>>
>>61476925
Using performance as the main reason for deciding what browser to use is retarded unless you're using a 10 year old PC and dial up internet
>>
>>61476838
>even if the 'failed' share still results in a larger install base than owning a niche?
when did that happen
>>
>>61480398
firefox barely has any rust code and had none until ~6 months ago
>>
>>61480040
haha it's a Chinese botnet browser that gets installed by malware
can be a pain to remove
>>
>>61480406
>You guys shall check firefox nightly with new sjw 'photon' interface that replaced (((australis))). It got much faster. But still not as fast as palemoon is.

Can this Firefox = SJW meme die already? Photon is fucking awesome.
>>
>>61480449
it's not a meme ...
>>
>>61478438
The Microsoft thing happened in Europe.
>>
>>61480467
Yeah, it is. They shitcanned Eich years ago, and he moved on. One firing over Prop 8 doesn't make them the fucking Tumblr of web browsers.
>>
>>61480206
>implying that google is the web
>>
>>61480449
Remind me why did they bully talanted computer genius, creator of javascropt out of company, again?
>>
>>61480499
>no longer resisting EME
>supporting idpol in tech
>mandatory signed extensions
>"The Internet is becoming TV with fewer moving parts."

>>61480544
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Thrice is enemy action.
>>
>>61480369
oh boy you dont even know how much chrome became a ressource hog with the time
>>
>>61480499
They exposed themself as jew fags. Will moz://a ever recover? Even their new title is shitty and pointless. Look at photon promo video. Most of their employees ard fags, and rest are niggers.
>>
>>61480002
Convince me to switch from Palemoon
>>
>>61480431
yes exactly. and it ran like garbage
>>
>>61480366
>botnet
Who gives a fuck when the entire OS spies on you anyway?
>>
>>61479006
This. I got forced to switch because watching twitch for an hour would leak memory and cause Firefox to reach it's 2gb 32bit memory limit and start crashing or freezing.

I got sick of reloading my browser every hour. When I'd open a lot of porn tabs I could even get it to hit the limit in 20min.

It didn't matter if it was Firefox 7, Firefox 22, or Firefox 50. They couldn't ever fix this fucking problem. No matter how much I reset my profile and started from scratch with barely no addons, trying other addons etc.
>>
File: 1491305890540.png (454KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1491305890540.png
454KB, 1920x1080px
>>61480781
That's where you're wrong, kiddo
>>
>>61479006
There was a known issue with memory leaks when dealing with large blobs, well spotted by our good senpaitachi at Mega, but istr it was fixed fairly promptly.
>>
>>61480366
>large amount of privacy and security enthusiasts
you act as if this place isn't full of normies today
>firefox is working great on my 4gb of ram + 120gb SSD
"works for me, your experiences dont matter"
>using arguments about how chrome whooped firefox's ass 8 years ago
i switched long ago because ff couldnt keep up
why would i switch back, chrome is /comfy/ at this point
>botnet
some people really just dont care
im still going to use ublock, so i dont directly see the results of their data mining anyway
>>
>>61479006
what amazes me is firefox still won't use the proper file dialogs after 10 fucking years when chromium has since day 1

they've always given zero fucks about the linux port and never deserved to be the default linux browser
>>
>>61480342
Chrome is faster for me and freezes less in my low end laptop
>>
>>61480366
>botnet everywhere
There is a reason that I use a Google Pixel XL on stock Android.
There is a reason that I use Google Photos to synchronize and categorize all of my photos.
There is a reason that I don't use a VPN even though I have Google Fiber.
There is a reason that I have used Google Calendar, Gmail, and Docs for the past 10 years.
When I graduated from college and lived on my own with bills to pay, I realized something - I can either make a significant time investment maintaining a home server and dealing with maintenance and updates, or give it away to Google and have them serve up ads that I'm either going to block or ignore anyway, and never have to worry about downtime.
Yeah, I sold my soul to Google. But I just don't care. That's the price I pay for convenience.
And Google makes superior products vs their competition, IMO. That's capitalism for you.
>inb4 shill
I wish Google would pay me to say this.
>>
>>61480846
Basement dweller hobbyist spotted.
>>
File: 1500579491257.jpg (11KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1500579491257.jpg
11KB, 480x480px
>>61481035
Again with the apple shill technique
>>
>>61481124
He's right though
>>
>>61481143
idk what /g/ you've been on haha, that distro doesnt even rhyme with 'starch', 'spent two' or 'gropin'DSP'
>>
>>61478451
This, they were all too happy to take Google's money in the past.
>>
normally use ungoogled chromium and sometimes edge

haven't used ff in years but it's installing now, i'll bite the b8
>>
firefox won't be dead for me until they remove XUL/XPCOM support and I can't keep it from looking like shit anymore.

Probably will just migrate to palemoon at this point
>>
>>61478550
>yeah, it has notihing to do with firefox being SJW cucks...
Google has a whole division devoted to fighting free speech and freedom of expression against feminism, trannies and SJWs.
>>
>>61481326

You shoud use nightly, it beat the shit of the botnet on performance.
>>
>>61478471
Mozilla CEO got caught donating to an anti-gay marriage foundation and the internet blew up for a few days before he resigned
>>
we should make a new browser
>>
>>61481406

>Firefox Nightly automatically sends feedback to Mozilla

any other reasons I should use nightly?
>>
>>61481545
oy vey, we need that data goy https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14753546
>>
>>61481545

Well you could just say no in the settings, it actually asks you first time you run.

>>61481579

That is just dumb, every website has analytics, that is up to you block it in the scripting.
>>
>>61476762
Seems to me like that's the effect, not the cause. They tried expanding their business because they realized it was the only way to compete against giants like Google. Of course, it was a misguided decision but you can see why they did it and how Google caused that
>>
>>61476689

>>61479648
is the most true answer, the whole answer is that all browsers are slow and botnets by now, thanks to standards like indexeddb which allows websites to store almost arbitrary amounts of data on your computer with no good standard way to manage the data
>>
do people unironically use Chrome? wtf.
Literally the only good feature Chrome has is auto translate and that's only for weebs and right wing russian wannabe (is there a name for this?) hipsters
>>
>>61481654
nobody can compete against google, even MS gets their ass handed to them, canonical also fucked up trying to make a phone

but it's interesting Mozilla essentially created Electron in the form of XULRunner in '07 but it never caught on
>>
>>61481706
>hipster calling others hipsters

lol
>>
>>61481715
>but it's interesting Mozilla essentially created Electron in the form of XULRunner in '07 but it never caught on
probably because
- the APIs were a lot more limited (I think), at least, you didn't have the node ecosystem, as shit as it is
- HTML5 features weren't a thing
- despite common believe, CPUs were a lot weaker ten years ago, and even now it's rather borderline
>>
>>61476689
They should just get the US or the EU to sue them for anti monopoly tactics, the same way how they got after Microsoft for bundling IE with Windows.

Well, except that in the US, Google has enough lobbying power that they are invincible to getting sued, and in the EU they already have multiple cases open against them for abusing monopoly (only one of them reached a verdict so far iirc, the rest are still ongoing).
>>
>>61481770
>Well, except that in the US, Google has enough lobbying power that they are invincible to getting sued
not anymore. google got screwed when they openly supported HRC.
>>
>>61480114
you don't understand what electron is apparently
>>
>>61476762
>Now that Firefox actually is good

No, it's not. It still has memory leaks. Open up a tab with looped html5 video on it and have it opened for 4-5 hours, eventually the entire browser will become slow to the point of being unresponsible, even on every other tab, and even if you refresh the video tab over the time.

I have to deal with that shit every day any time we make a site where they ask for a video on the front page. About the only reason why I still use Firefox is because I'm too used to it, and I'm beginning to question if it wouldn't be worth it to use Chrome instead.
>>
>>61481715

But edge is better than chrome.
>>
>>61478582
>memory usage became bigger and bigger with each update

You cannot measure memory usage on a browser, unless you use empty user accounts and set about:blank to the front page and only open that one tab up.

Websites use dozens of scripts and cursor tracking and event tracking BEFORE they even load their homepage, plus html5 interactive ads, plus movie ads. A browser using hundreds of megabytes of ram to open 1 tab is normal because of that.
>>
>>61481579
>>61481631

I'll give native firefox, waterfox, and nightly a spin for a week or so

unless it's still as bad as I remember
>>
firefox losng bcous androdi popılarity

in android no good friefox app.

peaple use chrome, and in desktop they use chrpme aswall
>>
>>61481706
>auto translate
>allowing google to literally read all the content in the page word for word
Don't do that
>>
>>61481780
>not anymore. google got screwed when they openly supported HRC.

I haven't heard of that. Care to explain?
>>
>>61480048
What's the news anon?
>>
File: hackers_1995_rollerblading.jpg (74KB, 660x393px) Image search: [Google]
hackers_1995_rollerblading.jpg
74KB, 660x393px
>>61476689
antitrust ruling when
>>
>>61481916
>I haven't heard of that. Care to explain?
google funneled a bunch of money to HRC. a bunch of """ex-"""Googlers also formed a PAC to fight Trump with tech.
Google's chairman Eric Schmidt was literally at HRC's headquarters on the election night as "STAFF".

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/799059880204177408
>>
>>61481939
hopefully soon. they're already getting fucked by the EU. EU fined them $2.7B for search... Android fine is coming next.
>>
>>61476689
Google's recommendation is based on monopolistic agenda. To lock in their services with their browser.

Google is trying to build an ecosystem, a word that RMS hates because eco system means its a lockdown. Google wants that control.

For comparison, Microsoft did the samething with their Internet Explorer in the 90s and early 00s. They faced a antitrust lawsuit and agreed to not do that.

Google will face an antitrust lawsuit soon. Guaranteed.
>>
It wouldn't matter if they didn't spend all their time removing features from firefox and trying to copy chrome.

Palememe is a fork of an old firefox and it's already superior for that alone.
>>
>>61482129
>It wouldn't matter if they didn't spend all their time removing features from firefox and trying to copy chrome.
they don't have a choice anymore. google is spending billions on promoting Chrome so if your browser looks different, people have much harder time switching. they will position themselves as Chrome+Privacy.
>>
>>61481987
EU has no real authority
>>
>>61482090
>Google's recommendation is based on monopolistic agenda. To lock in their services with their browser.

This anon gets it.

This is also why Google's now getting into adblocking business. But the catch is that they won't block their own ads.

How the fuck is that legal?!? It's like blackmail.
>>
>>61482180
They only said they were going to block annoying or harmful ads. They'll keep their word at first and will slowly change what the blocker finds annoying or harmful till they're the only ones left.
>>
Im persisting with FF but it is getting grinding. Spent an hour watching youtube videos and it was hitting close to 3gb ram.
Im always having to close it. Go to task manager to end it and restart it. Firefox needs to step up its privacy argument and pursuit if it has any hope of surviving in a healthy way beacause playing google and googles game is a guarenteed loss.
>>
>>61481833
It doesn't support 60+Hz so it's worthless.
>>
>>61476689

>no GPO templates
>no msi installer
>ignores system certificate store

When the company I work for developed a need for better centralized browser management I threw foxfire in the trash and pushed out chrome.
>>
>>61476689

Fucking wahhh. Microsoft pushes Edge in their market dominating OS and no one uses it. If your browser sucks, no one will use it. This concept is not difficult.
>>
>>61482348
well everyone is more than familiar with how shit Internet Exploder is.
no amount of shilling will help that.
>>
>>61481654
>They tried expanding their business
It's a non-profit. They don't need to expand and they don't need to compete.
Liberal.

>>61481756
>the APIs were a lot more limited
Hardly. The XPCOM API was huge, including zipfile readers/writers, crypto, thread control, style sheets, WebSQL, security managers, TCP/UDP sockets, files, streams, channels, preferences, everything you would expect. You could compose other elements into your own widget classes, sort of like shadow DOM in reverse, and instantiate them in markup or by document.createElement. You could actually get some low-level frameworks like jQuery or Knockout working on native XUL documents with minor patches. In short, it was a great frontend for making a browser or anything like one.
>HTML5 features weren't a thing
xulrunner was literally just the corresponding version of Firefox with a simple ini file parser and without the browser UI. You could even use CSS to style XUL elements. In XUL frames the expected globals weren't there and you often had to use the XPCOM APIs.
>CPUs were a lot weaker ten years ago, and even now it's rather borderline
XUL was stronk enough to run the browser chrome, which wasn't that embarrassing even 10 years ago. Mozilla doesn't exactly have the most swole js engine, either.

>>61481781
It's Chromium bolted onto the node event loop. Brave was built on a fork of it called Muon. Any questions?
>>
>>61476689
I hate how Google pulls this shit, but it isn't the direct cause of Firefox's death.
>>
>>61476689
>WAH ITS NOT FAIR THAT GOOGLE CAN ADVERTISE TO THEMSELVES ON THEIR OWN PRODUCTS THAT NO ONE HAS TO USE AND MUST VOLUNTARILY OPT INTO

How did Google get a massive market share worth billions of dollars in the first place? The obviously must have marketed at people with billions of free marketing dollars when they were a tiny dotcom bubble startup.

FireFox failed because it's obviously operated by a bunch of crybaby losers.
>>
Why does the market share of a browser matter if it's good?
>>
>>61482902
>is it worth testing my site on if nobody uses it
>is it worth using if nobody tests their site on it
>GOTO 10
>>
>>61482902
People are worried that Google might start exercising their monopoly on the internet even harder.
>>
I use edge though
>>
>>61476711
This, every release they try to converge more and more with Chrome.

The browser is a dead concept anyway. Most people interact with sites like Twitter and Facebook with apps on their phone or tablet now.
>>
>>61476726
Chrome is literally for normies ONLY.
>>
Whats a better alternative than firefox for people who want to preserve some extent of their privacy and not going full botnet?
>>
>>61478495
>what is pale moon for ganoonix/homos
>>
>>61480001
>hurr durr everything is the same
this is what shilling looks like
>>
>>61480449
No, it'll never die.
>>
>>61483025
You don't really have an alternative. There's a reason the Tor browser bundle is built on FF ESR.
>>
I've been using Chrome and gmail since the beta days, feels good to be on the winning team. get cucked FF fags
>>
>>61480762
It's a toss up. Depends what you are looking for. More updated than Palememe. Try it and decide for yourself.
>>61479903
This. Been using Waterfox for about a year now. Love it.
>>
>>61482257
left + privacy makes absolutely no sense though, libertarians are the big privacy advocates
>>
>>61481143
>No he's not.
>>
>>61476730
That's when I started shilling against firfux and I'm really glad I did. They lost a lot of good will from nerds at that moment.
>>
>>61476689
FF went down the shitter when a bunch of communists infiltrated and took it over.

First it was "Let's make a stupid trendy UI for no apparent reason"

Then they concentrated on useless stuff with no future, like Firefox OS, Hello, the stupid Skype replacement, and a few other dumbass things.

They had to create Rust because the intellectual fortitude of the Firefox dev is so low they couldn't use C++.

Maybe if they concentrated on making Firefox, faster, and leaner, and more open, rather than the new extension fiasco about to roll out, maybe they wouldn't lose market share.
>>
>>61476689
I'm feeling pretty good about it. After Firefox forced that stupid UI update on us I ditched it. They didn't seem to care.

They didn't care about discriminating against their CEO either.

Now that I don't use their product they can just die off. Make better choices next time.
>>
>>61483346
>First it was "Let's make a stupid trendy UI for no apparent reason"
that's software developers pretty much everywhere
>Then they concentrated on useless stuff with no future
that's also a large percentage of software developers
>Maybe if they concentrated on making Firefox, faster, and leaner, and more open
something very few devs anywhere do because it's a.) difficult, and b.) involves chasing bugs and refactoring existing code instead of writing all the new code you have ideas for. That's easier and more fun, and its why any large project accumulates multiple layers of cruft from big piles of pointless features. Look at how MS has a new UI framework every few years, or the millions of man-hours Canonical blew through on that "convergence" shit, basically just because the devs thought it'd be really cool.
>>
>>61483025
learn to hackintosh and the safari.
>>
>>61481450
>logo maker
I kek'd
>>
>>61482172
tru

was the EU doomed from its conception, or was a wrong turn taken somewhere?

they somehow manage to be equal parts overbearing and useless
>>
>>61483566
Doomed from conception.
>they somehow manage to be equal parts overbearing and useless
Works according to specification.
>>
>booohoo why are giant enterprises using their own products to advertise other products
>using their monopoly

Jesus,what a crybaby
>>
>>61482902
How it obtained those market share matters. Using monopolisitc methods to stranglehold firefox users is illegal. So the court will bring that up.

Google got too cozy with Obama admins. They think they can do what they want and disregard the law of the land.
>>
>>61483700
>making it so some shit only works, or works differently with your product
>advertising

you know intel got in deep shit for this type of crap, right?
>>
>>61480406
How do you activate Photon in the Nightly?
>>
>>61483790
Actually it's more related to Microsoft since this is the exact type of thing they did. The antitrust suit followed naturally.
>>
>>61483843
Wait. Nevermind. I thought it involved a new theme structure. It's on by default.
>>
File: 1472384688770.jpg (14KB, 238x192px) Image search: [Google]
1472384688770.jpg
14KB, 238x192px
>>61476711
>by trying to appeal to the mass market
So firefox would've succeeded in regaining marketshare by NOT trying to appeal to the mass market?
>>
its dying because its a shitty sjw company and people dont support that garbage even though they wont say it publicly because theyll get fired from their silicon valley sjw infected workplace
>>
>>61483901
Why did they need to gain marketshare? What's wrong with simply holding the rather significant niche they had?
>>
The real answer is SJWs took over mozilla and drove out a lot of the people that can actually code. Seriously - Firefox is hemorrhaging features. Every few releases they drop something else. The worst is going to be the extension holocaust in a month or two. At that point there's no reason to keep using it.
>>
>>61476689
>dumb fucks did not use adblockers

>>61476711
Also this
>>
>>61483901
dumb frogposter
>>
>>61476689
I switched to chrome because firefox started crashing alot and when firefox crashes all tabs crash because it's single-process
chrome is multiprocess and crashes very infrequently
firefox seems to be ok now and they will be multiprocess in September, I'm thinking of going back to get manual font overrides and scrolling tab bar back
>>
>>61476689
when I switched to chrome was around firefox 18~ as it just could not handle multimedia at all, everything was choppy

It handled memory horrifically and would never give up what it fucking took at a time when I didnt have ram to spare.

for a while, I kept it around because it handled massive tap lists better then chrome by a mile, but then I found the great suspender on chrome and never booted firefox again.

I was getting fucking sick of material being shoved down my throat and decided to try firefox again, and because of all the 'we want to kill extensions' bullshit, I got pale moon... shit was just not useable compared to chrome with the good extensions, even if I much prefer many aspects of firefox over chrome.
>>
>>61476925
Firefox has/had far better extension support, and there are somethings like sage that I genuinely miss, but ultimately things I can live without so long as certain websites don't die.
>>
>>61480594
I have 32gb of ram almost exclusively because chrome is a resource hog and if ryzen wasn't so shit with ram right now I would have 64gb.
>>
>>61480416
I personally use hoops I have to jump through to make the browser not painful to use, and chrome is really above firefox after they killed extensions.
>>
>>61479951
The issue with firefox had been going on for a long time.

multimedia sucked in it, and they were not timely enough in fixing it.
>>
>>61479266
nah, it chrome would still be the go to, kind of like how ie was for people long ago.

But if firefox was good, I may still be on it and never switched to chrome.
>>
DUH?
What's sad is that you're portraying this as news to people.

An advertising company's browser is the most popular?
HOLY FUCKING SHIT FUCKNUTS WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THAT COMING

Get Chrome Now!
>>
>>61480364
What's the point of any web browser? Seriously, why does a web browser need a point?
There's browsers that respect your privacy more, and Firefox lets you rice it, but in a contest of Chrome vs Vivaldi vs Opera vs Brave, it doesn't really matter because they're all the same browser at their core.
I use Chrome myself because I unironically love Chromebooks, but if that wasn't the case I would still probably use Chrome because it's fast, it already has all my passwords I've forgotten saved, and the extensions are great.
I do miss NoScript, though. Hopefully they'll release a Chrome extension once their nuFirefox-compliant addon is released.
>>
I remember when they decided to cache active tabs so browsing sessions could be restored, which was a great idea, but they cached all active tabs every 10 seconds making videos unwatchably choppy
cache timer was configurable, but people left for chrome rather than look up how to unfuck it
>>61479951
>UC browser
>>
>>61483346

>Maybe if they concentrated on making Firefox, faster, and leaner, and more open, rather than the new extension fiasco about to roll out, maybe they wouldn't lose market share.

The old extension API is precisely what was preventing Firefox from being faster and leaner. Nighty is almost done phasing it out and a result it's as smooth and fast as Chrome now.
>>
>>61476689
I mean, yeah, this is no better than what Microsoft did with Internet Explorer.

It's just less tangible with websites and adverts. And unlike Netscape back then, there isn't a for-sale product that gets killed in a graphic way because of it, it's all more fuzzy now.
>>
>>61480419
all the time anon. Firefox was popular because Internet Explorer was a disease, almost all of the installs were pretty casual
>>
File: 1472450459057.png (214KB, 498x538px) Image search: [Google]
1472450459057.png
214KB, 498x538px
>firefox could be still nice browser with niche audience eventhough they have less market share
>yet they choose to pander normalfags and leave niche audiences that will eventually makes them dead
>>
>>61486935
so, is the memory leaking a way to appeal to normalfags?
>>
>>61476766
I don't give a fuck about FF, but are you implying that Google is something other than an advertisement company?
>>
>>61476689
can Firefox just like block that shit by default?
>>
>>61476762
nope
it died when the former ceo got replaced
>>
File: 231239028312.png (54KB, 225x234px) Image search: [Google]
231239028312.png
54KB, 225x234px
>>61486946
Eventhough memory leaking is still there, but niche audiences still use it because you can customize the UI.
Now they implement new extension and new engine which literally destroy the niche audiences.
>>
>>61476689
Using Chrome or any derivative is probably the ultimate red flag. Whenever I see somebody with that shit installed I know never to take their opinions on technology seriously.

It's like pasting a huge sign across your chest that says, "I don't give a shit about freedom. I have no idea what I'm doing. I probably have a Steam account too. I deserve to be mocked."
>>
>>61476711
The problem is the majority of the market is retards, if FF had any success before it was because IE was so fucking shitty even the retards were willing to learn a bit for something better. Chrome is perfect for the average imbecile.
>>
>>61487025
google can release a workaround for in in the same day, ff is release once every few weeks
>>
>>61482172
>EU has no real authority
The EU regularly spanks MS, underage faggot. EU citizens also enjoy infinitely better consumer protection rights than they would as citizens of their individual countries, not to mention the ultra-cucked Americans.
>>
>>61476689
Who gives a shit. Let normies use whatever they want.
>>
>>61487582
Face it anon. We're both cucked, just in different ways. Burgers get cucked by corporations, Yuropoors get cucked by taxes. Yuros can't own guns, Burgers get shot with guns. Yuros get cucked by hate-speech laws, Burgers get cucked (and cuck others) by their spying intelligence agency.
>>
>>61485763
umatrix is superior to noscript.
>>
>>61487750
>NOTE: For the time being, the issue tracker has been closed due to too many users filing invalid issues due to uMatrix blocking stuff according to its ruleset (aka doing its job). I did warn that uMatrix is for advanced users, and advanced users are expected to be able to understand rulset and figure what needs to be done in order to unbreak stuff. I would re-open the issue tracker if I could find a way to allow only select contributors who have a good track history of filing actual valid issues, but this is currently not possible on GitHub.
Hmm
>>
>>61487818
and?

What, you too dumb to use it?
>>
>>61487627
>Yuros can't own guns
not true. you can't own a rocket launcher, but you can own a gun, provided you have a license for carry and usage (for simple stuff like shotguns all you have to do is pay a small fee and present your documentation, at least on my cuntry)
>>
>>61487627
I'm talking about consumer rights, which the US is undeniably one of the worst in the developed world for. Yes, European countries have some retarded laws of their own, but it's totally irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
>>
I only use ff because chrome can't show video above 72p0
Thread posts: 227
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.