[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a spare notebook here. Want to give to my dad see news

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: Lenovo-ThinkPads-i.jpg (23KB, 670x400px) Image search: [Google]
Lenovo-ThinkPads-i.jpg
23KB, 670x400px
I have a spare notebook here. Want to give to my dad see news and talk with his old friends online.
The fact is, I'll travel to a far place in a few days and want to stay in the control of the machine, being able to solve any problem that may occur with the machine.
I changed all the OS to linux some months ago after being full /stallman/.
I'm kinda new to linux, still using Mint distro.
I searched the web and found some tools like ssh and xrdp but couldn't figure it out how to configure it.
When I was into windows, I was used to play with LogMeIn but they disabled so I moved to TeamViewer.
Could any /g/ brother and linux lover help me with this?
>>
For those who may have the same question, a anon recommended Remmina. I tested locally and its perfect! Thanks anon, if you are reading this.
However, I want to know if is there a way to open to outside connections? I can't use the IP because its a radio internet connection here (countryside of the state) and I can't open the proper ports, so I don't know what to do.
>>
You know your dad is a normie that wants to do normie things, yet you give him linux. Retarded.
>>
>>61465674
Vnc or teamviewer if its available for linux
>>
>>61465674
just set remote deskptoo
>>
>>61465674
I have some spare time at work and have two linux machines running at home which I use as machines for fun webdev projects and linux CLI practice.

Depending on your Distro, ssh should work out of the box. Much more important is that you set up noip (noip.com) or a comparable DynDNS Service - in case you don't know already, that's to give your home a URL.

Noip can be installed right on the router in some cases (thanks, FritzBox™)

Then you have to adjust the Firewall in your router - it's not as hard as it sounds, just open some port numbers you can remember and _write them down_. Google it if you need it.

And then you will have to google how to change the ssh port your computer listens to.

Now you open up a terminal and type
$ ssh [your url]:[your port]
and it should ask you for login and pw.

xrdp works in a similar manner, you still need a firewall config and an open port, and have to tell the program to look for that port in the config. You might also be lazy and just look up the default ports but that's a slight security risk.

Kinda depends on the distro how much troubleshooting you'll need.

SSH and xrdp are the standard solutions for a reason, so better read up and play around on them.

If you happen to be on windows, use putty.
>>
>>61465674
I'd just use teamviewer or something since it's fairly easy to communicate over the phone to set up the connection instead of trying to have him use a terminal and read you your ip, but instead of reading the right ip he says the wrong thing.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.