[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Ask my CS professor if there are any FOSS alternatives for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 9

File: 1311626491256.jpg (56KB, 337x367px) Image search: [Google]
1311626491256.jpg
56KB, 337x367px
>Ask my CS professor if there are any FOSS alternatives for this course
>He stands up and addresses the whole class
>"Ladies and gentlemen, this course is NOT about Free And Open Source Software. We provide all the necessary software you need to complete the course. After all, you paid for it"

mfw
>>
>>61463135
He just slapped you softly with a NO, and make you look greedy and/or poor at the same time.
>>
>>61463135
damn you got rekt son
>>
>>61463135
Just run what ever non-free software you have to run in a windows VM.
>>
>>61463228
>Trusting the Oracle Jew
No thanks
>>
>>61463135
>Claiming that free siftware is about money and implying your poor
I would drop this class OP
>>
>>61463135
Your professor has obviously dealt with your kind (contrarian hipster faggot) before and wants to "nip it in the bud". Use the designated software that is provided, learn something useful, and put aside your meme ways.
>>
>>61463255
Doesn't have to be Oracle.
>>
>>61463285
>Hipster
>Meme
>Used together

If you had any clue of the origin of the word meme in modern context (ie the definition from Dawkins) you would see that these are contradicting concepts and shouldnt be used together.

Clearly shows that you have little understanding of the world around you
>>
>professor
That's where you went wrong, college kid.
>>
>>61463135
Your professor sounds like a cool guy.
>>
>>61463344
Hipsterism is a meme. Ironic, yes, but true.
>>
File: 1485646619650.gif (134KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
1485646619650.gif
134KB, 340x340px
>>61463135
>he fell for the higher education meme
>>
>>61463135
What's the software?
>>
That's like asking for a old shitty Volkswagen when he's trying to give you a nice reliable toyota.
>>
>>61463135
You should drop the class and report him to the FSF so he gets put on a shill watchlist.
>>
>>61463344
You sound like a pretentious faggot
>>
>>61463344
Calm yo tits mr edgelord.
>>
File: 1494109660510.png (177KB, 270x278px) Image search: [Google]
1494109660510.png
177KB, 270x278px
>>61463135
>enrolling on a university so shit right from the beginning they try to lock you in the shitty ecosystem the drooling retards in charge of it got lobbied into by software companies' hefty bribes
How's life in the 3rd world?
>>
>>61463135
Tell him that you would like to _learn_ how that software works. After all, that's why you are paying.
>>
>>61463344
This is just begging to become copypasta
>>
>>61463255
You're going to fail out. Guaranteed.
>>
>taking my 2nd comp sci class ever, it's on object oriented programming
>my professor is probably the nerdiest adult I have ever seen
>he spends an entire day talking about how great free software is and even spends like 15 minutes talking about Stallman
>>
>>61464540
Actual third world countries either pirate everything or let you use whatever the fuck you want if you can finish the assignment
>>
>>61465451
And that's the best method, because third world governments gives two fucks about original software
>>
>>61465451
>let you use whatever the fuck you want if you can finish the assignment
unironically this is better for learning, even better if is for yourself
>>
>>61463135
Sounds like a retard. I'll bet he hasn't even published anything relevant
>>
>>61463135
that's nothing
I took a Linux class once that involved no actual Linux
we had to use this simulated Linux thing via a website that was 90% Java or something
almost every single time I had to do something on there the obvious way and the elegant way wouldn't work, I had to find the specific way it wanted
>couldn't you just use real Linux to answer the questions?
for the questions, sure, but because this simulated Linux was part of the website it would grade you on actually using the right commands
the teacher didn't even like it, he just said there was no other feasible way to actually be sure that the students were doing the work (although if it was me running it I'd write my own assignments and maybe set up a VPN if needed and ditch that shit)
>>
>>61465694

> can't actually expect students to install linux to take the course

m e m e college
>>
>>61465854
as I said, the issue wasn't having students install Linux, the issue was how to tell if they actually knew what they were doing
this simulated Linux would log every command you used and show the teacher, regular Linux obviously doesn't do that, you'd need an external program and that would be a whole other mess
>>
>>61466358

That's still fucked

it isn't the professor's job to ride your dick and force you to do the homework. In college people have other important shit to do. Some people have jobs and kids and shit. If you can pass the exam they should just let you skip the homework.
>>
>>61466387
the exams were all on the website too
90% of the assignments were on there
about all that wasn't were the presentations we had to give every week on what we've learned, which just cycled through everyone in the class once over the course of the semester
>>
>>61466623
>the presentations we had to give every week on what we've learned

Was this in kindergarten?
>>
LMAO OP got BTFO
>>
>>61463135
You got it easy. We used turbo c++ and vs 20whatever. Also we have to learn writing batch scripts. Linux appeared on os class. At least maple is multiplatform, but still closed shit.
>>
>spending months or even years learning to program and perfecting your skills
>doing it for free
The concept of free software is ridiculous.
>>
>>61463135
Your professor 100% answered this way because he has dealt with "smart" students who run their own shit and refuse to use the normal software just to prove their "techiness" and end up having tons of issues with the free packages that would just be solved by using the regular software.

See: broken OpenJDK vs Oracle JDK, shitty free IDEs vs Visual Studio, etc.
>>
>>61466904
>The concept of free software is ridiculous.

It's also classist and racist. The reason 99.9% of FOSS developers are white men is because white men are the only class of people who can afford to spend tons of spare time developing software for free. Everyone else has to work.
>>
>>61466879

>turbo c++

get a refund, that's early 2000s skiddie tier
>>
"Go suck a dick, you Microsoft shill."

>drop class
>report him to dean
>if dean agrees with him, leave the university and realize that universities are just memorization factories that you (or someone for you) have to pay shitfucktons of money for a fucking Memorization Expert Piece Of Goddamn Paper that is more worthless than shitty, cheap toilet tissue.
>>
>>61466904
word fail me in describing how dumb and wrong your post is so I will just assume (you) are baiting.
>>
>>61464402
but the toyota can spy on you and knows how you drive and is a product of jews
>>
>>61467008
This lol
>>
>>61467025
Exactly. No idea why people buy modern cars. Are they fucking stupid? Do people actually want to be tracked and cataloged and monitored wherever they go--
>everyfuckingbody owns a goddamn smartphone
Fucking hell. Fuck this shit society. Fuck everything and everybody for being so goddamn insanely goddamn stupid.
>>
>>61466932
>broken OpenJDK vs Oracle JDK, shitty free IDEs vs Visual Studio, etc.
Opinion discarded. Vs is a shiny garbage and java se is replacable with openjdk.
>>
>>61466737
no, this guy just had a hard on for making introverted pseudo-autistic techie types work with other people, the whole place did really, but him especially
also he was Moroccan, and he is the guy I think of every time I read the name "Iamdevloper"
>>
>>61466932
my C++ teacher in college said we could use either VS or Bloodshed, and this was like 5 years after Bloodshed stopped being updated, although everything was demonstrated in VS and I think some of the resources given to us to look at were VS-specific
>>
>>61467008
I mean you're right about the memorization but A) it's still important to know your fucking facts and B) it also demonstrates dedication and patience, which are very important traits
>>
File: 1475455675089.gif (2MB, 260x195px) Image search: [Google]
1475455675089.gif
2MB, 260x195px
>>61463255
Lolwut, use QEMU/KVM. It's free software.
>>
>>61467095
they don't even know
a lot of them have heard of it, but many don't know what to make of the claim they're being tracked, fewer know what to do about it, some don't believe it, and some have never even heard of it, they just talk to their friends who are all as oblivious as they are
>>
>>61463455
HAHAHAHAHA
>they said I'd work at mcdonalds
>they said I was closing my options
>now I'm head of the company
>and I'm fucking my boss's wife
>and I direct a team of bitches to do pointless things

Free the rock
>>
File: stallman.jpg (88KB, 679x693px) Image search: [Google]
stallman.jpg
88KB, 679x693px
>>61466904
This is why free software and GNU/Linux will never be taken seriously.
>>
>>61467858
>will never be taken seriously
except everyone that does take it seriously, they don't count
>>61466904
nobody has ever said that free software is without price you imbecile
>>
>>61467819
Even VirtualBox is GPL licensed software. The only thing under an Oracle shitware license is USB2/3 support
>>
>>61463135
just use foss shit anyhow.

that's what I did.
>>
>>61466932
>See: broken OpenJDK vs Oracle JDK

what's there to see. OpenJDK is pretty much the same fucking code sans some oddly specific J2EE shit moron.
>>
>Enquire about an IT course for next year
>Email prof asking him about what software is used and if there are Linux alternatives
>Tells me most software is Windows only except for some networking shit
>Tells me that the computers on campus are used for the work and I won't have to put Windows on my home machine

Better than nothing I guess.
>>
>>61467858
this meme has to die

communism is not about sharing
communism is not about free work because anyone barely works (except in the camps)
communism does not care about your neighbour
see?
>>
>>61467933
>t-t-this is not real communism! REAL communism was never implemented!
>>
literally only had one class like this and I just fucking VM'd the shit away and did all my work using foss and just loaded into Oracle 12c plus whatever meme nonfree shitware after the fact; had to tweak some shit but whatever. Even used some foss sqlplus driver as well for actually working with it.

fuck that faggot nigger prof and I hope he burns in hell.
>>
>>61467983
>i know he's right
im not a communist
>>
>>61465429
>object oriented programminh
What in the literal fuck, do universities even teach anything useful?
>>
>>61467871
When it comes to software, free beer and freedom go hand in hand. You cant have one without the other.
>>
File: IMG_7959.jpg (35KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7959.jpg
35KB, 400x400px
>>61466358
>we use this simulated Linux to log commands because regular Linux obviously doesn't do that
>regular Linux doesn't do that
>>
>>61468032
>why won't universities teach everyone the shitty hipster garbage programming methods I use?
>>
>>61468076
C is not a garbage language senpai
>>
>>61467925
for some reasons, openJDK lags a lot for minecraft servers while Oracle doesn't
>>
>>61468099
>toddlercraft

underage b&
>>>/v/
>>
>>61468099
got any benchmarks to back that up my dood?
>>
>>61468099
>Minecraft
>Anecdotal reasons, so it must be true
Kys
>>
What shitty college do you go to that uses proprietary software for teaching? I've never had to use proprietary software while at college. Basically everything related to CS has been FOSS for a while. I can only think of dotnet but no reputable university will have dotnet as an obligatory course.
>>
>>61467008
Hey, don't be rude to harmless teachers, they were probably taught that response in such cases they don't have to actually follow it. No need to be hostile anon.
>>
>>61468261
It's funny, I'm in a combined CS and CE major and the CS department uses open source tools and up to date Linux resources, while the engineering department uses shit like Matlab and weird dated C++ compilers
>>
Not rekt
Rekt
Really Rekt
Tyrannosaurus Rekt
Cash4Rekt.com
Grapes of Rekt
Ship Rekt
Rekt markes the spot
Caught rekt handed
The Rekt Side Story
Singin' In The Rekt
Painting The Roses Rekt
Rekt Van Winkle
Parks and Rekt
Lord of the Rekts: The Reking of the King
Star Trekt
The Rekt Prince of Bel-Air
A Game of Rekt
Rektflix
Rekt it like it's hot
RektBox 360
The Rekt-men
School Of Rekt
I am Fire, I am Rekt
Rekt and Roll
Professor Rekt
Catcher in the Rekt
Rekt-22
Harry Potter: The Half-Rekt Prince
Great Rektspectations
Paper Scissors Rekt
RektCraft
Grand Rekt Auto V
Call of Rekt: Modern Reking 2
Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Rekt
Rekt It Ralph
Left 4 Rekt
www.rekkit.com
Pokemon: Fire Rekt
The Shawshank Rektemption
The Rektfather
The Rekt Knight
Fiddler on the Rekt
The Rekt Files
The Good, the Bad, and The Rekt
Forrekt Gump
The Silence of the Rekts
The Green Rekt
Gladirekt
Spirekted Away
Terminator 2: Rektment Day
The Rekt Knight Rises
The Rekt King
REKT-E
Citizen Rekt
Requiem for a Rekt
REKT TO REKT ass to ass
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Rekt
Braverekt
Batrekt Begins
2001: A Rekt Odyssey
The Wolf of Rekt Street
Rekt's Labyrinth
12 Years a Rekt
Gravirekt
Finding Rekt
The Arekters
There Will Be Rekt
Christopher Rektellston
Hachi: A Rekt Tale
>>
File: smug.png (95KB, 724x611px) Image search: [Google]
smug.png
95KB, 724x611px
>>61466932
sounds like you were one of these 'smart' students that turned out to be not-so-smart.

Fuck VS. I use nano and gcc and it hasn't failed me yet on any college level course.

>mfw you cant into FOSS
>>
>>61466950
or they are the only ones who wish to freely contribute to the world for the world's benefit.
>nearly all mathematicians were white
>nearly all famous scientists are white
>>
>>61468406
>wish to freely contribute to the white race for the white race's benefit
ftfy
>>
>>61468417
not my fault darkies cant understand how to use FOSS. also not my fault darkies dont freely contribute to their own societies
>>
OP: What kind of software are you required to use for the course?
>>
File: 1500185230215.jpg (47KB, 596x960px) Image search: [Google]
1500185230215.jpg
47KB, 596x960px
>>61466904
>free software doesn't pay
>Linus Torvalds is a multimillionaire
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>61466904
>spending months or even years learning to paint and perfecting your skills
>doing it for free
The concept of art is ridiculous.

>spending months or even years learning to write and perfecting your skills
>doing it for free
The concept of writing and composition is ridiculous.

>spending months or even years learning a musical instrument and perfecting your skills
>doing it for free
The concept of music is ridiculous.

...Do you see where I am going with this?
>>
It's akin to a vegetarian asking a butcher if he provides any vegetarian options. Take the initiative yourself, and do not expect the professor to go out ofhis way to provide for your unfortunately unpopular philosophy.
>>
It's akin to a straight man asking a bartender at a gay bar if there are any heterosexual women. Take the initiative yourself, and do not expect the professor to go out of his way to provide for your unfortunately unpopular philosophy.
>>
>>61468684

>your unfortunately unpopular philosophy.
It's pretty damn popular among most CS faculty I've met, kek. OP just lucked out and got a shit professor.
>>
>>61464540
É uma delícia
>>
>>61468057
you totally can
not everyone is willing to compile something for their own usage, and the support for said software would definitely be of more value from the developer(s) than people who use it.
selling copies of free software with support is how redhat made a fortune off of big companies, and it's a very practical idea.
>>
>>61468075
this. why the fuck do people pay for college.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.