[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LibreJS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: librejs.png (15KB, 345x200px) Image search: [Google]
librejs.png
15KB, 345x200px
Is anyone here actually using this extension?

>switched from Fx to IceCat last week (great browser btw)
>LibreJS came with it
>why not try it out
>literally blocks 99% of all javascript
>configure uMatrix to block JS and whitelist gnu.org and you get the same result
What's the point of this? Am I missing something?
>>
>>61454121
What makes JS Libre anon?
>>
I use it. It's kind of broken, but not enough people use it to get better.
>whitelist gnu.org
There are several more web apps ("applications" if that triggered you) that have put in LibreJS compliance, including a simple little thing on my website. The intent is that web developers tag their javascript as free, but:
1) most people who write javascript don't know/care about licensing;
2) the license detection is wonky and broken;
3) it runs the javascript outright as normal anyway, with no prompt or consideration that the user might not want to run it; and
4) it's slow.
https://nonfree.pizza is doing wonders for awareness but even among the vast huge audience it has (i.e. /g/ and some more obscure areas of the internet) it's seen as a pizza botnet meme and not a serious issue.
As for the next three issues, they're looking for javascript developers to help maintain it. https://www.gnu.org/software/librejs/
>>
>>61454121
>What's the point of this? Am I missing something?
In uMatrix you have to whitelist every site that runs proprietary js.
LibreJS automatically blocks proprietary js for you.
>>
>>61454276
No compression so it will free your internet connection from evil speed.
>>
>>61454121
>blocking javascript in 2017
might as well stop using the web, and go back to gopher & ftp
>>
>>61454121
it doenst werk
>>
>>61455732
Many sites work without js.
>>
>>61454121

I'm supposed to rewrite LibreJS in a couple months. I've talked with RMS about it.

LibreJS is useful because it blocks complete horseshit malware. Most JS is complete horseshit malware.
>>
>>61456183
I was thinking of asking them if they'd been an extra hand, but I'm not much of a JS programmer, though I've grasped the concepts it shares with all the other languages. Would there be anything someone like me would be able to do?
>>
>>61456232

Yes. LibreJS is a special case because we are going to need to find a way to get around the limits of the webExtensions API, so there isn't any coding that needs to be done right now.

You can make add-ons for specific sites like RMS asks for on his website.

http://0xbeef.coffee/posts/post8.html

Personally I'd like to see one for 4chan but I haven't had time to make it.
>>
>>61456359
4chan has several free extensions that replace the botnet native extension, so there's no need for one of those.
>>
>>61458152

All I see are 4chan ones that do other things on the mozilla store
>>
>>61455644
>>61455696
>>61456183
Thanks guys, I thought the "free" in free JS just meant uncompressed but this actually makes sense. Sounds like a frightening lotta work tho dayum
>>
>>61455701
You still get gzip, its not all bad.
>>
>>61455732
I block all js from default and white list only the domains I require. Most people should do this, unless you're fine letting every site you visit run thousands of lines of code from dozens of domains that have nothing to do with loading the page content. It's also fairly easy to exploit and force drive-by downloads and other such attacks like XSS.
>>
>>61455732
>letting other people run code on your machine in current year
>>
>>61461536
this JS is dangerous, sigh still on fireshit here with NoScript. Fireshit got to go
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.