[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/ Am new to this whole programming thing how do I remember

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: coding625x351.jpg (112KB, 625x351px) Image search: [Google]
coding625x351.jpg
112KB, 625x351px
/g/ Am new to this whole programming thing how do I remember what everything do? Everything just seem so overwhelming.
>>
>>61448765
start with html and go from there
>>
>>61448765
start with python****** and go from there
>>
>>61448765
>how do I remember what everything do
repetition (aka actually coding)
>>
Start with 8086 assembly and go from there
>>
>>61448792
Sooooooo just keep making simple programs until it stick?
>>
>>61448926
Start with writing a program to count all prime numbers over 1 million
>>
non meme answer start with C and go from there
>>
>>61448765

>that pic

lol php is easy wtf are you smoking
>>
>>61449072
Am actually trying to learn c#.
>>
>>61449157
Enjoy your walled garden winfag.
>>
>>61449157

>choosing the M$ route

shame.
>>
Python is for brainlets.
>>
>>61449187
>>61449197
What's so bad about it?
>>
>>61448765
You don't need to remember everything about everything. You only need to remember enough about what's possible about everything that you're learning, and what to call the things that you're learning about are possible, so that you can creatively think about how a program comes together from knowing what's possible and what those things are called, so that if you get stuck you can at least Google the things that you remember they're called, so that you can put together pieces you find on the internet to build whatever it is you're making.

Basically, you need to remember overarching concepts, and the names of the things that make up those concepts, so that when you need them, you can look up the parts of those concepts that you need so that you can refresh your knowledge right as you need it.
>>
>>61449241
+ repitition = almost any base computer skill
>>
>>61448926
That's pretty much it, you just make projects after projects, you can start by following tutorials and/or copy-pasting simple source code to see what they are doing and then making improvements on these by yourself. When you have a problem, look at the error message, if you don't understand the error look online for it and read the documentation of the functions you're using.
>>
>>61449234
You're stuck to writing shit for Nanofloppy Portholes operating systems. I mean there is Mono but it's cancer.
>>
>>61449322
Given that Windows is the most used OS, I wouldn't mind about that, and if it's his first programming language he could learn C++ more easily after if he wants to make cross platform programs
>>
>>61449241
>>61449320
Great. Thanks for the info.
>>
Get an account on Treehouse to get through the initial learning curve.
>>
>>61449010
We're going to be here a long time.
>>
>>61448765
>Pajeet tier English
Sage
>>
>>61449442
One other thing that I think you should know about being a good programmer: I've never seen a truly smart and hard working person be a good programmer but I've also never seen a truly stupid and lazy person being a good programmer. Good programmers have a certain mentality where they have to accept a concept as an opaque, black box, take it for what it is and be okay to not know "why" all the time, but maybe look it up later when everything's done. You can't be stupid enough to not get it, but you have to be smart enough to know whether or not a deeper understanding of something is worthwhile learning and when that learning would be needed. There's also a certain balance of not wanting to do too much work, but still wanting to get lots of stuff done that makes a good programmer. The best programmers are just lazy enough to want to get a computer to do something for them, so that they never have to do something again.

The people I know who were the hardest workers, who tried programming usually failed because they failed to let things just be when having a deep understanding of something wouldn't help (which bogged them down and made them unproductive) and/or they'd be too willing to do things by hand themselves - which isn't the mindset you need to be in when you're trying to automate something. Good programmers are optimally lazy people.
>>
>>61448765
You need to train it like muscle memory.
>>
>>61448765
Take notes. Every software engineer on every team I've worked on takes extensive notes because it's way too much stuff to memorize. Keep them in a text file or something so you can grep (word search) for key words to find notes on a particular thing.
>>
Stackoverflow will guide you
>>
>>61449727

>I've never seen a truly smart and hard working person be a good programmer but I've also never seen a truly stupid and lazy person being a good programmer.

Hahahaha, that' great. Thanks.

>>61448765

If I could start with programming all over again, I would probably start with "Test Driven Development". You can look it up on google/wikipedia and so on.

Beginners often just "start coding" and wonder why the result is a mess.

Here are some hints how to become a good programmer:

1) Always use comments. You will look at your code in one year and you won't understand what everything does, but comments make it super easy to get into the details, if you have to.

2) Break things down. If you have a big task like "make a calculator" try to break it down in smaller parts until you arrive in functions that have only one purpose:

"graphical user interface"
|_"for linux AND windows?"
|_"which libraries exist?"

"how to deal with bad input"
|_"error messages for the user?"
| |_"where to display things?"
|_"error handling"

"what functions should be included?"
|_"scientific calculations"
|_"store results?"
|_"make it easy to add new functionality"

It's always about trade-offs. If you make a program, think of a car:
There are good cars and bad cars, but there is no car that is good for off-road and rally and is small so you can always find a parking lot. You need to check you REALLY need and ignore the things you don't need.

3) Work in iterations and make sure everything works before you proceed. It's easy to get lost in bigger programs. It's much better (and more rewarding) to incrementally add functionality:

-make a program that displays: "hello world".
-then add user input and displa: "hi, you entered: (...)"
-then split the input into parts
-then make a distinction between "a+b" and "a-b"
-then handle bad user input
-then add a graphical interface
..and so on.

4) Tests. Even if you add them later, use tests a lot. They teach you many things.
>>
>>61451339
>but there is no car that is good for off-road and rally and is small so you can always find a parking lot.

nigga what
>>
>>61448765
you don't have to remember shit. that's what documents/google/stackoverflow is for

you just need to remember simple syntax.
>>
I'm on the same boat OP, or I was some weeks ago.

I settled for web developement. First tip, start on whatever website or book, but start. Then try another resources and get the hang of the basics.

I obssesed myself with remembering everything at first but like >>61452423 said I don't think that's necessary, just remember the basics and focus on understanding the code.

After learning the basics of html and CSS on codecademy I've been using freeCodeCamp, and I quickly understood the new concepts about html and Bootstrap they introduced.

Check /wdg/ and don't give up.

Also you may feel way too much hand holding on some websites, so try to build something on your own as well. I'm about to start the first project on freeCodeCamp so I can't really say if they're good but I'm excited about it.
>>
I'm learning too, as I learn I am able to get what everything does but i sometimes struggle with syntax on the newer shit, so i got a big white board on a wall next to my desk with shit like what a method looks like or how to parse an int, it's basic but i look at it less and less.
>>
wat
>>
start in poo and end in loo
>>
>>61449376
Most used for gamers, not for devs
>>
File: 1464511386522.gif (5KB, 344x287px) Image search: [Google]
1464511386522.gif
5KB, 344x287px
>>61449322
>Nanofloppy Portholes
>>
>>61448765
start with rust and stop from there
>>
>>61451712
Oh shit, that's the car I started with in Dirt Rally.
>>
Take it slowly, there are things you can do with programming language X that you won't have to do in your projects at this stage. That stuff can be looked at later when you know more or when you need it for a certain project. This is completely dependent on language, my first was Python but i switched to Delphi pretty fast before C#, C++, C, as well as other paradigms (yummy, just stick to one for now. Procedural OO are probably the best to start with in retrospect because you can relate a lot to irl things) and whatever else universities might shill you with (mine was a Microsoft shill don't go to university).

Reading books that are aimed at introductions to languages and especially ones that go over WHY these things are done (see gang of four for C++) is also based.

I made a few GUI and back end projects and the first is terrible compared to the last, not only in design but efficiency and code quality.
>>
>>61448831
this
>>
>>61448765
Maybe learn English first?
>>
>>61448779
HTML is pretty tough man, everyone should start with assembly
>>
>>61448765
go back to a classic job like for example baker. This is not a joke, try to safe your self from the pain its coming upon you.
Everyone will think that you are some type of human Google and ask you all day long stupid shit that you dont know.

>o you are a programer? could you expail me why my computer wont boot
>i wont boot because you are a piece of shit
Thats how i act on my day to day, they look at me with intense cringe but fuck them its no longer funy that someone treats you like their personal wikipedia.

Also the amount of diferent languages and platform are a fucking nightmare, if you want to learn programing for phones you have to learn two stupid languages and outside their ecosystem they are ussels. Web development is also trash, they have somthing called javascript and its eye cancer at its finest.

Take care with those hypster languanges that bring "solutions" and "performance", they are just a plot from big corps to force the competence to waste money and resources into tech that will be deprecated by the owners of that language, its like that CIA spyop with their current spaces marines "project" ...
>>
>>61458276
This is why I tell people I'm an engineer instead. Their eyes just glaze over.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.