[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VCR Nostalgia!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: cover.jpg (26KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
26KB, 360x480px
Technology Story:

I made a video for the local Seattle band "Step Dads." The video was shot on a Cannon 70D and eventually, after many setbacks, recorded to VHS and back to digital. I had no digital to analog, analog to digital converter of any kind. At first I thought I would burn the digital version to DVD then record a VHS from a DVD player playing my DVD. That worked as planned except now I had to get that VHS recording back to digital. Yes i could have used a converter but those are upwards 80 bucks. I went to a 2nd hand computer part store to find a VHS/ DVD Combo recorder deck but came up short. I did however find some 3 dollar PCI-E cable TV tuners with S-video in. I bought a couple of those, hooked it into my PC and realized my VCR has no fucking S-video out. Also, I had to find the out what card I actually had and find windows drivers to even use it which led me to a guy in India that had a google drive with a ton of random drivers and he hooked me up. I could make this go on forever but what I ended up doing was designing my own composite video to S-Video adapter cable by soldering the data and grounds together. This allowed me to see the S-Video input in on a program called "VirtualDub" which let me access my TV Tuner card. The signal was weak and unstable, cutting in and out. I guessed it was because composite isnt supposed to go to S-Video at all because S-video is basically composite but instead of the entire signal going down one wire, its spit into two for brightness and color. I figured the signal was being split or some shit. I soldered a 1000 nf capacitor through the data, plugged it in and to my surprise, worked perfectly. Never thought I'd have to use a god damn soldering Iron to make a music video.
The final product can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9JEvxLzH00
>>
Another pic
>>
>>61444294
Now that certainly sounds like a road less traveled. The end result is pretty nice though. Good job.
>>
>>61444434
Thank you! Yeah TV tuners aren't exactly the best or obvious way to do that lol but besides it being frustrating, it turned out to be a fun project.
Glad you like the vid!
>>
Making everything interlaced doesn't make it look “analog” because analog hardware is supposed to produce proper picture from interlaced signal the whole time. Interlacing should appear when two different scenes are visible and their field orders don't match (text overlays, smooth transitions between scenes, etc.)
>>
>>61445189
Actually, when I captured the video it was an AVI and it looked extremely interlaced and unusable. I converted the AVI to an MPG and it seemed to get rid of it without compromising quality. I chose MPG because I had heard it was designed exactly for compressing older TV broadcasts into digital video so ya
>>
>>61445189
Also, the effect was exactly what i was looking for. Lower framerate, decreased contrast, general smoothing of hard edges ect...I think it looks pretty analog especially compared to the original 720p video.
>>
>>61445189
What would you recommend I do next time?
>>
>>61445774
get a svhs player with native s-video output.
>>
>>61446187
So by adapting the composite video to S-video using my cable, causes exactly what issues?
>>
>>61444294
Or you could have just ripped the fucking dvd or not deleted the original file in the first place.
>>
>>61447473
No no that was my problem you see. I edited the video in Sony vegas, Burned my video onto a DVD, recorded a VHS from that directly, then had no means of getting it back to digital. I dont own a DVD burner besides the one on my computer.
>>
>>61447473
The original AVI was a very strange one VirtualDub gave me. Vegas wouldnt open it at all.
>>
>>61447473
he was deliberately 'filtering' the video through a VHS tape to make it look shittier
>>
That hack job nearly made me barf, that's really disgusting and I hope you take pride in doing a better job next time, son.
>>
Or buy an easy cap or some kind of RCA to USB Analog to Digital converter. Werks for me
>>
>>61449917
vid had deadline fucc u son
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.