[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>unplugging internet for productivity Does it work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

File: atvR61D.png (10KB, 288x357px) Image search: [Google]
atvR61D.png
10KB, 288x357px
>unplugging internet for productivity
Does it work
>>
>>61435203
Depends on your line of work. I have to look things up, and it's usually a lot faster to do that online.

It's about will power and getting "into the zone" for my part. It's difficult to get started, but once I have, I can work for hours on end.
>>
>>61435224
Yea this
In this day and age internet is a huge resource no matter what you do. Just get good and focus on the stuff you want to get dobe istead of getting distracted.
>>
File: smoking_da.jpg (94KB, 1050x591px) Image search: [Google]
smoking_da.jpg
94KB, 1050x591px
>>61435255
>Just get good and focus
>>
>>61435203
>>61435224
>come here to make productivity thread
>find your productivity thread

Unplugging the internet is kinda tough when you're programming... Gotta search up syntax and errors messages. How do you guys manage to stay focused on the internet?
>>
>>61435300
>Gotta search up syntax and errors messages.
Rarely. I look up API documentation, parameter ordering etc, stuff I quickly forget.

>How do you guys manage to stay focused on the internet?
Don't go to 4chan, and that's about it for me.
>>
>>61435300
All you need is the fucking API reference. You can download that.
>>
File: 1428979855310.jpg (48KB, 367x306px) Image search: [Google]
1428979855310.jpg
48KB, 367x306px
>>61435203
>addicted to image boards
>literally wake up and start browsing before I get out of bed, waste all my free time after work browsing, and the last thing I see before I go to sleep is an image board
>block all of the IP's in my router's firewall
>end up not even using my fucking computer because I just gravitate to my phone that isn't connected to my router
>end up just removing the firewall rules so at least I can use my desktop instead of the fucking phone
>>
>>61435371
Sometimes the reference alone is shit, and you need code examples.
>>
>>61435426
If people programmed in 1990 without internet, I'm sure we can do it as well!
>>
>>61435203
I just block distraction websites with hosts file.
>>
>>61435440
You first.
>>
>>61435440
stack overflow is so useful that not having it would hurt productivity more than having fewer distractions would help it
>>
>>61435440
I'm pretty sure that the architectures of most modern technology stacks are infinitely more complex than they were in 1990.

Also, in the 90s people used BBSes and IRC to aid them in programming.
>>
>>61435300
can't make any syntax errors if you don't have any syntax
t. Lisp programmer
>>
>>61435318
>>61435371
Yeah I'm sure its possible but its much faster and easier to understand if you see an example when you're still learning.
>>
>>61435459
>t. pajeet
>>
>>61435474
>t. professional fizzbuzzer
>>
>>61435473
When you're still learning a language or framework or library or whatever, that's an entirely different thing.

Normal use means that you have a rough idea what you need and how to use it, but you just need the details.
>>
>>61435474
Do pajeets commonly just copy and paste blocks of code from stack overflow?

I'm seeing this meme often and they seem to be notorious for making shitty programs.
>>
>>61435473
Even when you're not "still learning", you can never just rely on your own ideas because that's how backwards shitty implementations get made. Sometimes other people write genuinely better code than you, and without seeing their code and learning from it you will stagnate.
>>
>>61435459
went there a couple of times to diagnose some really obscure problems with really retarded software (java and mysql were involved).
Literally no other reason to visit it unless you're a pajeet or want to learn something completely outside of your specialization area.
>>
>>61435459
Yeah, except for the fact that your weak ass character makes you click 30 things on the web and spend 3 hours before getting back to work. It's like a Pandoras box, super easy to open and almost impossible to close.
>>
>>61435495
everyone does (unless they're retarded/arrogant). the difference is a pajeet will just say "ok it works!" and move on. a good programmer will figure out what exactly the code does and rework it to fit their software better.
>>
>>61435512
This exactly. When I stick to my own shit for too long I find my self developing shitty habits because "it works". Then when I watch some tutorial I find there is a much better way of doing something.
>>
File: laughing-old-man.jpg (264KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
laughing-old-man.jpg
264KB, 900x1200px
>>61435468
>I'm pretty sure that the architectures of most modern technology stacks are infinitely more complex than they were in 1990
>infinitely more complex
lmao
>>
>>61435536
I never implied I didn't go on stackoverflow for examples to problems and integrate a good solution into my program.
>>
>>61435515
If you know exactly what to look for and how to search, SO is gold. It's like troubleshooting for Windows, if you don't know what you're looking for you end up having to sift through retards that tell you to put your GPU in the oven so the soldering tin solidifies better.

>>61435531
I don't have this problem.
>>
>>61435468
>>61435549
If anything you have it easier today. MUCH easier.
>>
>>61435570
dumb javascript faggot
>>
>>61435570
>>61435549
Maybe if you work with some high-level scripting stuff, but definitively not when you work with low-level stuff.
>>
>>61435588
>implying javascript is easy
You know nothing Jon Snow
>>
Okay autists, can we return to discussing productivity?
>>
>>61435591
Do you seriously think low level coding is harder today than it was in the 90s?

You're either stupid, or inexperienced, or both.
>>
>>61435568
Well, unless you did something REALLY sketchy you don't need to troubleshoot stuff. Usually. Given that your job doesn't involve some really retarded stuff like proprietary technologies or CPP-like languages...
>>
Fuck sorry for bringing up programming, I have unleashed an autistic spurg flood upon this thread.

Let me redeem my self by bringing up the Pomodoro technique. Anyone tried it? Do you find that it works?
>>
>>61435612
>Do you seriously think low level coding is harder today than it was in the 90s?
It definitively is. When I started programming, there were only one CPU and two levels of caching and you had explicit control over them. Now you have a bunch of caches, you need to consider NUMA strategies, you need to consider L3 localities, you need to consider race conditions that can occur because you're programming a multi-CPU architecture, you need to consider pipelining and microcode instruction fusioning.

A lot of stuff has been simplified, but architectural complexity has increased along with Moore's law. Primitive microcontrollers were so piss easy to program, people just programmed them using assembly because the instruction set was so small. Modern x86 machines from Intel has an instruction set that literally requires two 400 page manuals to cover.

>You're either stupid, or inexperienced, or both.
You're speaking from your ass.
>>
>>61435644
>Anyone tried it?
Yes

>Do you find that it works?
It works if you use your 5 minutes to take a walk. If you use them to lurk 4chan, it doesn't work.
>>
Just download wikipedia
>>
>>61435653
Oh wow, a bunch of features. So hard to code stuff when your clock runs at 3,4ghz. Try programming a DOS game in 1990 that runs on 40-60mhz. Good luck writing your own audio and graphics drivers while you're at it.
>>
>>61435672
Do you know a good app? I'd like to be able to customize it to work for 50min break for 10min. The one I downloaded only does 25min work and then 5min break.
>>
>>61435672
>>61435896
And I mean a computer app (preferably browser).
>>
>>61435832
>Oh wow, a bunch of features.
Those are not "bunch of features", those are architectural properties you need to care about when you implement stuff.

>So hard to code stuff when your clock runs at 3,4ghz
Speed is irrelevant here.
>Try programming a DOS game in 1990 that runs on 40-60mhz.
That's not hard at all, in fact, a bunch of DOS games relied on clock frequency for timing, which is why many early computers had a Turbo button for increasing the internal clock from 33 MHz to 66 MHz.

>Good luck writing your own audio and graphics drivers while you're at it.
Audio drivers are piss easy, anon. Especially for internal piezo speakers. Seriously, you can even make one at home and program it using an Arduino. It's not freaking hard.

As for graphics driver, just writing to the VGA buffer mapped into the lower region of memory is also piss easy. You can even try it yourself, just memory map the first 10 MB of memory and write garbage data to it, you'll see that you get random pixels on your screen (your OS will also probably crash, but that's because you're not only writing to the VGA buffer but also a lot of other stuff).
>>
>>61435896
>>61435902
Not really, I just hacked together this

#!/bin/bash

let "period = 0"

if [[ ! -z $1 ]]; then
let "period = $1"
fi

case $period in
1)
title="First pomodoro!"
message="Take a 5 min break."
;;
2)
title="Second pomodoro!"
;;
3)
title="Third pomodoro!"
;;
4)
title="Fourth pomodoro!"
message="Take a 20-30 min break."
;;
*)
title="Pomodoro!"
message="Time for a break."
;;
esac

dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Pause &> /dev/null
notify-send -u critical -i dialog-information "$title" "$message"
for (( i=0; i < 3; i=i+1 )); do
/usr/bin/mplayer --volume=100 /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/suspend-error.oga &> /dev/null
sleep .8
done

And set Xfce keybindings to invoke it with different parameters when I press Ctrl+Alt+shift+P (for Pomodoro).
>>
File: 1493505930663.png (1MB, 762x526px) Image search: [Google]
1493505930663.png
1MB, 762x526px
>>61435924
I'm not even going to respond to your bullshit.
>>
>>61435948
>I have no idea about how computers work and therefore I don't know how to respond
>>
>>61435948
But (You) already did.
God, you are pathetic.
>>
>>61435954
>I'm the worlds best programmer, everything is super easy to me
>>
>>61435203
I don't think so.
Also, anyone please post some old meme with Jackie Chan's tweet... Today is a bad day and blah-blah-blah
>>
>>61435972
That's not at all what I said, I'm just saying that you don't know what you're talking about and you think modern computers are somehow simpler than older ones, because more software exists to make your life easier.

Programming modern graphic cards, for example, are infinitely more complex than just controlling pixels by writing to VGA buffer memory. Denying this is all sorts of retarded.

Just because you use some sort of LEGO game maker framework where you just drag stuff together, doesn't mean that under the hood a hell of a lot more is going on.
>>
File: 1490492965416.jpg (38KB, 800x715px) Image search: [Google]
1490492965416.jpg
38KB, 800x715px
>>61435989
Here you are friend
>>
>>61435995
I'm not saying that modern computers are simpler. I'm saying it took about 3 times as much effort in the past to write any workable code at all.
>>
search in books v.s. search in google
>>
>>61436008
>I'm saying it took about 3 times as much effort in the past to write any workable code at all.
That's completely relative to what kind of framework and toolchain you rely on. Of course, building a userspace application is a lot easier than it used to be. Creating a interface for a PLX-switch DMA engine requires that you consider cache-coherence and CPU location, which is more complex with today's caching strategies than it used to be.
>>
>>61436065
In those days all you had was 2 books and maybe a professor to ask something if you were lucky. It was harder, no argument there.
>>
>>61436106
>In those days all you had was 2 books and maybe a professor to ask something
You ordered the Intel manuals which arrived with snailmail, and you could sift through them quite quickly.

These days, the manuals are in total several thousand pages long. It was not harder back then, quite the contrary, only different.

And you could always ask on IRC or a BBS, or refer comp.c.lang on Usenet if you were absolutely stuck.
>>
>>61435996
Post more motivational content Anons.
>>
File: 1496970948596.jpg (29KB, 720x478px) Image search: [Google]
1496970948596.jpg
29KB, 720x478px
>>61435398
You're not alone anon.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.