[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Drunk tech

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: blade.jpg (206KB, 1000x676px) Image search: [Google]
blade.jpg
206KB, 1000x676px
sup /g/
Just won an auction I bid on while drunk, for an old IBM HS20 blade.
I thought I could fuck around with it but it seems like you need a blade... holder (?) to provide power, etc.

Luckily it won't cost me much more than a few beers, but I'd still like to put it to use if I can. Are there any other solutions that buying a rack to seat it in?

pic related. fucking proprietary connectors, reeee
>>
File: 1405987403458.jpg (65KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1405987403458.jpg
65KB, 640x480px
>>61434009
The thing you plug blades into is usually called a chassis. That's the main point of blades, they offload some shared infrastructure like power into the chassis so it doesn't have to be in the servers, and you can get higher density that way. Blade servers are for people with big server needs who have more money than rack space.

You may be able to find a cheap old blade chassis from whatever kind of outfit sold you a cheap old blade server. Hopefully it's nearby, since those things take up like 8U of rack space and are as heavy as that sounds. Also they're loud, even by rack server standards. And the whole thing is pretty silly even by hobby-project standards unless you're planning to get more blades to stuff into the thing. That's the whole point of it.

If I were you I'd take the CPUs, RAM, and any drives out of it and buy some cheap superannuated ATX mobo to put them in.
>>
>>61434437
Thanks for the insight, I've asked the seller if they have a chassie for it, as they have 10 other blades of the same spec so it seems likely they would. Maybe an orange pi would make a better media server...

For the record each blade is 4x 1GB RAM, 2x 3.2GB Xenon and at least 2x 74GB HDD.
>>
>>61434009
>doesn't know what a blade server is
>complains about buying a single blade without a chassis
>not realising that they sound like a fucking jet engine
>>
>>61434009
I guess the best you can do now is to do a teardown/reverse engineering video with a high pitched, australian voice.
>>
>>61434504
Well if you fill the chassis keep a watch on your power consumption. No idea if you're in a 120v or 240v country, but a dozen blade servers with ancient housefire xeons in them should be able to suck down 2000-3000 watts. It may well need some kind of special power connector of its own, as opposed to an ordinary IEC lead. (you'd also be able to get more CPU power than all of that put together by buying one Threadripper, or the like)

Oh yeah and also these things aren't just proprietary, they're very proprietary. Each server vendor has their own shit which they can and do change between models just because. (plenty of IT managers get burned by this when they buy blades. "Oh, we can fill half of it now, and then buy more when we need them later!" Two years from now, the vendor's stopped making blades that fit in that chassis.)
>>
>>61434525
When it said blade I thought it meant like that old film about vampires with that tax evading guy.
>>
>>61434565
I'll have you know I have a high-pitched British voice.

>>61434571
Doubt I'll go so far as to buy more than a couple unless they make a good offer with a chassis, but thanks for the heads up.

90% chance I'll stick with the one and end up using it as a door stop.
>>
>>61434622
>>90% chance I'll stick with the one and end up using it as a door stop.
A while back Blizzard sold the blades that ran some of the first WoW realms as souvenirs. They opened em up and put em in a frame and people paid hundreds of dollars for em. They were dual-socket netburst xeons I think.
>>
File: pickle-licker.gif (900KB, 400x290px) Image search: [Google]
pickle-licker.gif
900KB, 400x290px
>>61434667
Are you suggesting I make a fake and sell it for a lot of money?
>>
>>61434504
>Maybe an orange pi would make a better media server
It probably would. For the record, the Bladecenter H (one of the compatible chassis models) not only comes with quad 2900 watt power supplies, but the cooling is done with two absurdly massive blowers with 840 motherfucking watts of motor power each. And then you get a trio of the usual 40mm 15000RPM screamers for every individual power supply to go with it.
>>
File: rfsm 1442513268833.png (1MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rfsm 1442513268833.png
1MB, 1440x1080px
>>61434921
>quad 2900 watt power supplies
>the cooling is done with two absurdly massive blowers with 840 motherfucking watts of motor power each
>>
>>61435003
it's not like I valued my hearing anyway
>>
>>61434009
You will also nead to provide a good airstream to cool it, those flat rads are made for chasis blowing through the thing.
>>61434525
>>complains
Are you dislexic?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.