[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Programming Books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: PPP2frontNback.jpg (113KB, 1170x677px) Image search: [Google]
PPP2frontNback.jpg
113KB, 1170x677px
Do programming books help a lot more than going through YouTube tutorials?

I'm learning C++ again so I can understand it my own way (the university materials are dogshit, honestly) I was wondering what books would /g/ recommend that would be good for a beginner to learn from, preferably with some exercises?

I've heard pic related was good but I'm unsure or would YouTube be > than books.
>>
No shit it's better. More efficient. What do you do if you have to repeat some part of a video you didn't understand? Rewind and go over and over? Plus some pajeet might be teaching you and you won't even know it. Use videos to supplement a good book.

We used C++ Primer 5th edition by Lippman in uni. I see it highly recommended, and I thought it was a good book. Covers a lot of c++11 stuff.
>>
>>61422575
>programming
>video tutorials
Please stop programming right now.
>>
>>61422758
Thanks I'll look into that book. Sadly my lecturer didn't recommend jack shit for books so I've been forced since the beginning to find them.

Also did you have prior experience before using that book? Or complete beginner?

>>61422819
lol fuck off
>>
>>61422868
>Also did you have prior experience before using that book? Or complete beginner?

I knew basics of Java by that point, and a bit of C. I'm looking at the first few chapters now, and it goes through the bare basics in the first chapter, but it doesn't really hold your hand either. Might not be the best book for programming as a beginner, but I think you can manage if you're motivated enough.
>>
>>61422914
From the preface:

>Although you do not need to know C in order to understand this book, we assume you know enough about programming to write, compile, and run a program in at least one modern block-structured language. In particular, we assume you have used variables, written and called functions, and used a compiler.
>>
>>61422575
>programming
>video tutorials
For what purpose?
>>
>>61422914
Thanks! Yeah, Im fine to work at it and struggle and learn. I'll give it a check and look out for other books to that might also support me too.

Thanks anon.

>>61422965
Also just reading this, I'll most likely as mentioned have to do a bit more groundwork laying but I'll look into this book.

>>61422968
Exam. But also just to get good at programming, I'm not good at any language so I want to change that.
>>
>>61422982
fyi, libgen is great for finding textbooks. Google it.
>>
>>61422982
>Exam. But also just to get good at programming, I'm not good at any language so I want to change that.
Your never going to get it anyway, you should quit now.
>>
Then let's connect some suggestions and discuss them,
Best books for;
C
Cpp
C#
R
Ruby
Java
JavaScript
Python
Go
Perl
Php
Assembler
Shell/action/etc

>C
C the Language by David Ritchie
Used it from advise of my Prof, very deep.

>C++
C++ Primer by Stanley Lippman
Got it after looking around the Web.
It served as transitional help on the side.
>>
>>61423100
what about java? where can you learn java from a book or video thats good
>>
>>61424792
I like "Thinking in Java" by Bruce Eckel. O'Reilly also produce good books on Java.
>>
The best way to study is to spend 2 or 3 hours reading a chapter.
If you don't understand the content read it again, spend 4 hours on the chapter this time.
If you still don't understand the content find a blog post.
If you still don't understand the content go on irc and ask about it.
If you still don't understand, consider reading something that covers more basic concepts.

If you still don't understand go to a professional website such as udemy and buy a lecture on the subject.
If you still don't understand try to learn something more basic.

>youtube
Should not be used for education.

>Why reading is superior to watching videos.

When you read you force yourself to focus on the topic and quickly realise when you are losing focus.
When you watch videos you do not realise that you are losing focus until you are 5 videos in and still don't have a good grasp on the technology.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.