[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is FreeBSD the best OS, /g/? When will GNU cucks learn?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

File: freebsd11-mate.png (418KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
freebsd11-mate.png
418KB, 1920x1200px
Why is FreeBSD the best OS, /g/?
When will GNU cucks learn?
>>
>GNU cucks
>uses MATE which is a fork of GNOME 2 developed by GNU
>probably uses a shitton of other GNU dependecies as a consequence
>>
>>61419577
>BSD
>entire userspace consists of GNUshit
>GNU cucks

?
>>
>>61419577
Well BSD is okay for servers or some very specific niche products. Why would you use it on a desktop though? Only to cuck yourself? No thank you. I'll rather stay productive
>>
>>61419577
>FreeBSD fag
>Calling GNU cucks
Irony: The post
>>
>>61419636
That's not my screenshot,mMaybe take a closer look.
Typical GNU linux cuck.

>>61419665
mfw he cant install and configure a DE on his own
lmao just go back to windows
>>61419722
Ubuntu user spotted
>>
>>61419577
OP, if thats your desktop, you need to update

as root
freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install
>>
Like how he completely ignores the post pointing out that BSD uses GNU extensively, but replies to stuff he thinks can get the bait thread back on track.
>>
>>61419665
Using it on desktop is ok, I'm doing it for quite a while and it just works. On laptops though I prefer to stick with Linux as the kernel.
>>
File: image.jpg (88KB, 303x343px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88KB, 303x343px
Does BSD even have any worthwhile feature to make me consider switching?
>>
>>61419577
OpenBSD is the best. FreeBSD is still a GNU cuck product.
>>
File: Mvc2-hayato.jpg (79KB, 500x900px) Image search: [Google]
Mvc2-hayato.jpg
79KB, 500x900px
>>61421110

ZFS (biggest selling points), ports, bhyve, PF, and the street cred of a level 5 cave dweller (I think that tittle goes to Net/OpenBSD though).
>>
File: unimpressed.jpg (104KB, 851x478px) Image search: [Google]
unimpressed.jpg
104KB, 851x478px
>>61419577
Stop memeing your garbage, fucking BSDshills
>>
This is ugly. Call me a faggot, but I enjoy using pretty things. If I work, I want stuff to just help me do my job, but when I wanna chill with my favourite album, give me my iTunes and go to hell.
>>
File: IMG_1107.jpg (28KB, 400x230px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1107.jpg
28KB, 400x230px
Lumina is the best desktop environment and trueos showed it to me.

I guess you can say.... trueos..... showed me the truth
>>
File: ifxLK48cnyDDi.gif (1MB, 500x225px) Image search: [Google]
ifxLK48cnyDDi.gif
1MB, 500x225px
>>61419577

BSD has been victim of cultural appropriation -- See: PS4+Mac OSX.
>>
>>61419577
> unironically using MATE

GNOME 2 is dead and outdated as fuck. Why stick to the past?
>>
>>61421223
>Zfs doesn't work on Linux

False. Go back to running a router os as your desktop os you magnum neet
>>
>see OP image
>Straight Outta The 80's
>>
>>61419577
>still no working IOMMU support
it's like freebsd is stuck in 2004
>>
>>61421110
Jails, Bhyve for virtualization, native ZFS supports which is always good for goodies such as snapshots, clones, etc. A full distribution which by default the libc, unix utilities and kernel work together more than their linux counterpart, bringing many safety and optimization features that aren't possible in glibc/coreutils without them putting in additional efforts because they want their code to be entirely cross platform (because they're still denying that GNU's just a Linux software distribution project).

FreeBSD's OSS distribution is also really good compared to ALSA and it does support pulseaudio if that's what you're into.

Overall FreeBSD support is akin to Linux except for a few Linux-specific development project *cough* freedesktop *cough*.

Also drivers wise, FreeBSD has more support because the license is less restrictive but they still try to avoid licenses that aren't compatible with BSD-like licenses, they usually isolate these in their source tree.

Graphics-wise, the stable release supports proprietary nvidia drivers and Linux 3.8 drm drivers for intel and amd.
However, there is work (which is getting advanced to the point where you can use it) going on to automatize drm compatibility and it's currently at Linux 4.4 I think. They'll be able to pull updates to drm straight from the Linux repo on github when it's done. It currently supports inteldrm and amdgpu pretty well in my experience.
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics
>>
>>61419855
>uses GNU extensively

If by uses you mean less than 10 in a distribution of hundreds of software and libraries, then sure.
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/tree/master/gnu

CVS was replaced with svn and git, gcc and gdb replaced with llvm and lldb except for kgdb, which klldb is being worked towards, readline mostly replaced with libedit or other application-specific line editing libraries, glibc and gnu coreutils were never in the distribution. Other than that they offer GNU software in the ports distribution if the user would need/want them.

So I wouldn't say FreeBSD extensively uses GNU.
>>
File: 900px-Nrol-39.jpg (339KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
900px-Nrol-39.jpg
339KB, 900x900px
>>61421270

>reading comprehension
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.