[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any cons to overclocking?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Are there any cons to overclocking?
>>
>>61416909
You speed up time and you die sooner
>>
>>61416909
Running higher voltages through the chip can increase the rate of diffusion and cause the chip to die sooner than it otherwise would have done. I haven't heard anything to suggest the effect is awfully pronounced. I've heard one account of it happening very quickly and that was somebody running nearly 1.5V through a Ryzen chip for several weeks straight and getting a degradation where it required even more voltage to be stable at that clock.
>>
>>61416909
Time wasting if you want it to be perfect balance of clock/volt
>>
It can be difficult for newbies like me. I got a BSOD from it T_T
>>
>>61416909

Not if you have a good mobo and cpu. I just went into bios and set auto clock to 4.6ghz on my 4670k. Works great.
>>
increased energy consumption
increased heat output
decreased component lifespan

and most of the time the only difference one can tell is by looking at the fps number.

I've grown out of wanting 10 fps more when already having 100+ fps. now I undervolt and enjoy the gain in efficiency.
>>
>>61416909
As long as you're not a dumbass about it, no. I've been running my 2600K overclocked since launch and it's still going strong. Only at 4.6GHz right now, but it's been up to 5GHz at times. Not worth the heat and power draw though.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.