[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I deal regularly with LTOs formatted to LTFS, which I receive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: ltfs.jpg (7KB, 308x164px) Image search: [Google]
ltfs.jpg
7KB, 308x164px
I deal regularly with LTOs formatted to LTFS, which I receive from clients.

At work, we have a Windows box with the LTFS drivers installed, but I would prefer to access the tape via Linux so I can more easily script some stuff. We have a Linux box available with a tape drive attached, but no LTFS drivers (and for shitty corporate IT reasons, I can't just install LTFS drivers willy nilly).

On the Linux box, do I *have* to have LTFS installed? Or is it possible to manually parse the index partition for block address info and pull files via some kind of dd or mt commands?

I'm not asking for anything step-by-step here, I'm just wondering if it's possible or if I would be wasting my time in trying to research this.
>>
If you've got FUSE on the loonix box you should be able to just compile the FUSE module for Ltfs in your home directory and mount shit from there
>>
>>61413451
Thanks; I'll have to check, but I don't believe I have fuse on there either.

To be a little more clear about what I'm trying to do: I want to write a script where I can submit a pull list of files I want, and the script will order the files based on their physical locations on the tape, so that I'm reducing seek time and there isn't a lot of rewinding and fast forwarding.

I can handle the scripting, but as far as cataloging which files are at what block addresses, that's what I don't know how to do but I figure is a little lower-level than typical LTFS operations.
>>
>implying /g/ is some kind of tech board
>>
try stackexchange for a real answer.
>>
>>61413658
I feel you, the stupidity of LTFS file access when reading data back is the reason we decided to not go the LTFS route. It's fast writing but reading back the system does not provide an API into seeing how to efficiently read the entire data back. It's pretty asinine. There is expensive backup software that does the exact thing you want (scans LTFS volume and recovers fast without much seek time) but it's expensive and whatnot. We use a custom implemented format in a Python backup app we wrote that writes/reads the tapes.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.