[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

After reading online about AOSP and LineageOS I still don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

After reading online about AOSP and LineageOS I still don't understand why custom ROMs exist. I keep hearing customizability over and over again. Do people install custom ROMs just for shiny new UIs?
>>
>>61403860
1. No gapps.
2. No gapps.
3. No gapps.
4. Rooted by default.
5. Ricing is easier.

But mostly no gapps. Fuck that caner.
>>
>>61403864
>Rooted by default
Most ROMs arent
>>
>>61403864

Wait, can't I just root a mobile running AOSP and remove the google apps myself?
>>
>>61403864
So basically you want a phone with a shittier version of android that has basically no capabilities or apps because you have no access to google services or its apps? Why?
>>
>>61403967
Because without gapps my phone lasts for 3 days on a single charge, and with gapps it lasts for 16 hours.
>>
>>61403967

Not him but usually, the removal of Google apps is seen as an improvement.
>>
>>61403986
What apps do they use to do anything?
>>
>>61404023

Well I can't speak for them but I for one write my own apps. Most software is very easy to write.
>>
>>61403860
Older phones usually don't get newer versions of Android or even security updates whereas using a custom ROM such as Lineage OS allows you access to the latest Android version and the most recent security patches. Only real downside is drivers being proprietary so running drivers meant for Lollipop on Nougat can cause issues.
>>
>>61404023
I just download the .apk's directly and install them myself. In the rare case that the app is a piece of literal garbage that relies on google API's to do anything at all I just find a FOSS alternative, like OsmAnd for maps.
>>
File: 1472187383764.jpg (103KB, 901x887px) Image search: [Google]
1472187383764.jpg
103KB, 901x887px
>>61404071
>"lol if the app you need don't exist just make it yourself!!!"
>>
>>61403860
MotoG3 user here, stock rom is an outdated buggy slow pos that runs bad on the 1GB version. First CM13 was good but it got worse, now I'm on the extendedAOSP and it's god tier, lot of useful function and stable and fast as fuck.

I use custom ROMs cause I only buy cheap phones with decent hardware but I want them smooth as an iPhone and usually the bad thing about cheap phones is software support
>>
>>61404080

I see, but wait, doesn't the AOSP open source contain the drivers as well? Can't I just root a device and put base AOSP on it?
>>
>>61404112

If you're a programmer this shouldn't be a problem. Welcome to open source.
>>
>>61404112

See >>61404107

Literally every app on google play store can have the apk downloaded and installed manually.
>>
>>61404196
AOSP doesn't contain the drivers from the manufacturer
>>
>>61404114

I understand that stock ROMs suck but I was more interested in the diff between base AOSP and other custom ROMs.

>>61404234

I see, that means the LineageOS people wrote them themselves? Or do they have some understanding with the manufacturers?
>>
>>61404301
Lineage OS i based on AOSP.

>>I see, that means the LineageOS people >>wrote them themselves? Or do they have >>some understanding with the manufacturers?
Drivers and manufacturer device specific modifications are in device tree. Everything is documented, just search for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_tree
https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/hammerhead/build
>>
is their an AT&T phone under $80 I can install one of the android forks on? like lineage?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.