[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GUIXSD - The most advanced and freedom distro!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: guixsd-slim.png (437KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
guixsd-slim.png
437KB, 1280x720px
Is this the best Distro, nowadays?

- Free as in freedom
- No kernel blobs
- No SystemD '''(NSA init system)'''
- No proprietary software '''(faac, cisco openH264 )'''
- Stable and security distro

**inb4: gentoo, crux and voidlinux are great options but have close source codes (Spywares).**
>>
File: 1483971949409.jpg (30KB, 364x364px) Image search: [Google]
1483971949409.jpg
30KB, 364x364px
>>61392863
>but have close source codes (Spywares).**

DAILY REMINDER to not forget taking your daily pills.
>>
>>61392863
>muh systemd is botnet
enjoy your barely working init system.
>>
>>61392863
>openH264
>Proprietary software
What?
>>
>>61392863
There's some neat things you can do with Guix (pkg manager) and GuixSD (distro based on said pkg manager with Guile init, that isn't production ready yet). Here's a presentation to get the gist of Guix http://dustycloud.org/misc/talks/guix/chicagolug_2015/guix_talk.html

The main advantage is root is no longer required to install whatever programs you want. You can run 100 diff versions of the same software/libraries in harmony with each other instead of breaking shit and having to do symbolic links to fix multiple versions running on the same system. You don't need GuixSD to do this, just add Guix pkg manager to any existing Debian or other linux install. With Guix no data is destroyed, so you can effortlessly move back in time and roll back updates with ease. In other words, your system will never break again.

Also, containers. They are completely declarative, without needing a disk image. No imperative shit like Dockerfiles means that you don't have to worry about order of operations, something that you have to think about constantly when using Docker and other shit container solutions. The dependency graph of your container can be reproduced exactly anywhere, and they are tiny compared to huge VM disk images.

GuixSD will use a scheme init system and GNU dmd, so you get all the advantages of Guile's libraries/API so can run your server(s) and desktop from emacs. You could also just abstract your server or container farm into a simple data structure to be manipulated in a program you make, so updating and maint of vast fleets of servers are automated, and guaranteed to work since configuration is declarative and reproducible. Your program can pass an error and then automatically roll back an update without you ever being involved.

It's a really awesome distro, I use it for everything these days though as mentioned, not ready for production use yet unless you're willing to workaround the few issues left.
>>
>>61392863
Can I use flags yet?
>>
itll have to hold me off till gnu/hurd shows up :)
>>
>>61393209
Informative post; thanks for saving me the trouble of looking that up.

>not ready for production use yet unless you're willing to workaround the few issues left
Anything specific to share?
>>
>>61393371
They are porting Hurd to GuixSD
https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/guixhurd/

You can already use Guix as a package manager on top of a Hurd system (e.g. Debian GNU/Hurd). I play around with it sometimes. If you are interested in crazy parallel systems that can all run independently then try out Guix + Debian/Hurd sometime. You can have Hurd modules running all over the world like a kind of AI botnet that can't be taken down.
>>
>>61392863
>no .iso file
>>
File: doc.jpg (8KB, 160x226px) Image search: [Google]
doc.jpg
8KB, 160x226px
>>61393473
tfw Stallman uploads his consciousness to self-replicating Hurd modules worldwide and has the ability to interject until the end of days

>>61393503
Marty you're not thinking 4th dimensionally. Guix doesn't use file images, it's just textfiles that describe dependencies.
>>
>>61393473
...I am interested.
>>
File: 800.jpg (22KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
800.jpg
22KB, 800x480px
>>61394215
>Marty you're not thinking 4th dimensionally. Guix doesn't use file images, it's just textfiles that describe dependencies.
>tfw
>>
>>61393209
GNU dmd was renamed to GNU Shepherd.

There is also Nix and NixOS which is what GNU Guix and GuixSD is based on.
>>
>emacs

Stinking shit.
>>
>>61395065
Basically you copy a small kernel image to USB and reboot, or use any Linux live CD/usb. When rebooted you edit a system text file using scheme to describe what you want. Then invoke 'guix system' and it just automagically gives you that exact system down to what you want running on boot or specific fine grain dependencies or general vague default deployment. Change it anytime by altering that one file and redeploy, if you don't like it, roll back to any previous install no data is ever destroyed and it doesn't need to store large prev disk images or anything. With Hurd, you can change the system without rebooting.
>>
>>61393473
oh wow!
thats really great to hear!
thanks for the info :)

seems i got some experimenting to do!
haha
>>
>>61395065
I.. I..
I've seen the light..
>>
>>61395296
Haha :)
>>
>>61392990
I use OpenRC on Arch Linux without any kind of issue. I switched not for the freedom meme, but because systemd has way too much bloat, and in fact as I result I got a huge improvement in RAM usage and boot time, and less shit like the system not booting because fstab can't mount a disk
>>
>>61392863
I really like this, but I don't have a libre machine.
I use NixOS instead, which is this but systemd and some proprietary shit.
>>
>>61392863
Yes.
>>
>>61395888
>I use NixOS instead, which is this but systemd and some proprietary shit.
sounds awful
anything we can do to help?
>>
File: 1484216485388.jpg (142KB, 682x768px) Image search: [Google]
1484216485388.jpg
142KB, 682x768px
>>61392863
>faac
isn't even closed-source, just restrictively licensed.
>>
>>61396080
Open source != free software
>>
>>61392863
> NSA init system
> open-source
This board is full of retards
>>
I've tried to install it in a VM but I've never got it to work. Looks interesting though. Hope to use it someday.
>>
Can you people convince why should I invest my time with this and not Source Mage? I am being serious, you don't have USE flags yet nad SMGL seems equally (if not more) promising.
>>
>>61398254
lisp
>>
>>61393209
So basically guix pkg manager does what snappy does, just it is sponsored by freedom instead of canonical?
>>
>>61396253
see >>61396185

But systemd is free software. Stallman approves of it. There are no proofs that it's got a backdoor or anything, and since it's fully open source, someone would've found it already.
>>
>>61399923
1) RMS approves of the way it is legally licensed, which is a very different thing.
2) Just because something is free software doesn't mean it should be used.
3) With how fast it has grown and how quickly it changes, a full audit that would be in any way meaningful just isn't possible. You have absolutely no reason to just blindly trust something something this important, and every reason not to.
>>
>>61392863
Tried it, killed my drive ffs

nope, back to OpenBSD
>>
>>61394215
Not even stage3 images?
>>
>>61395832
t .retard
>>
>>61400344
Did you file a bug report? If not then kys.
>>
I use it, it's very good, especially if you like Lispy systems to begin with. The whole distro integrates into my workflow very nicely.

One thing to note is that it's not at all minimal. For example installing xorg without a login manager is unsupported and requires rolling your own package configurations.
>>
File: 1429177114622.jpg (12KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
1429177114622.jpg
12KB, 258x245px
>>61401157
>installing xorg without a login manager is unsupported
>>
>>61392863
It has a really nice packaging system. That's really what sets it apart from other distros but you gnutard didn't even mention, because muh gnu and muh freedom is the only thing that matters to you.

Also
>Stable and security distro
I wouldn't call it stable. They're at version 0.13, so there hasn't even been a full release yet
>>
>>61401157

Is that really the case? Logging in from TTY and using startx is a valid configuration and does not require any more tinkering than normal in NixOS.
>>
>>61395832
This.
On my old x41 any systemD based distro takes up to 2mins to boot while openRC based distros boot in a fast 30 seconds
>>
>>61392990
>barely working init system.
Of all the components systems implements, the init system is probably the simplest to write on your own. It's literally 'what run level is this, start X and write "OK" if the exit code from daemon is 0'.

People had this shit sorted out thirty years ago.
>>
>>61393209
This post inspired me to checkout Guix's containers.

Guix's containerization is nowhere near as good as Docker's. Here's why:
(1) You must be root to run a container [1]
(2) No support for health-checks
(3) No support for load-balancing
(4) No support for service-discovery
(5) No ability to configure NAT for containers (at least, I can't find this)

>No imperative shit like Dockerfiles means that you don't have to worry about order of operations

This is a non-issue in the Docker world. You simply install the required packages, add whatever else you need, and ship the image. Furthermore, the imperative nature of Dockerfiles is an asset - we can build and reuse layers of an image.

>GuixSD will use a scheme init system and GNU dmd, so you get all the advantages of Guile's libraries/API so can run your server(s) and desktop from emacs

Big if they deliver. I'd really like this.

> You could also just abstract your server or container farm into a simple data structure to be manipulated in a program you make, so updating and maint of vast fleets of servers are automated, and guaranteed to work since configuration is declarative and reproducible. Your program can pass an error and then automatically roll back an update without you ever being involved.

We already do this __today__ with docker. We run Alpine w/ basically every single core system service running in a container, with a versioned-control `docker-compose.yml` that brings each system online. Docker already supports automatic rollbacks based on failed (user-definable!) health checks.

Guix definitely looks cool. As a lisper, I like the idea. If they really work on what's being talked about in
>>61393473
then they could build something that upsets the status-quo. We still don't really have self-healing infrastructure perfected yet. Otherwise, this might be another nice idea that went nowhere.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Invoking-guix-system.html#Invoking-guix-system
>>
>>61403567
I think that Guix's containers aren't really for enterprise-y deployment. It's more for developers running simple containers on their desktops, at least for now.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.