[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question: Is there even a DE that can compete with GNOME?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

File: dudmaclmao.png (98KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
dudmaclmao.png
98KB, 1366x768px
Serious question: Is there even a DE that can compete with GNOME? I don't think so, but prove me wrong.
>>
>dude apple lmao
>>
Way to make it look as bland as humanly possible

>>61388026
It can't even do a global menu right
>>
>>61388014

KDE plasma is the most complete desktop (see word 'desktop') out there. Good desktop is supposed to be modern and fully capable to perform daily tasks yet customizable for every user's needs.

There's no other desktop that does this as well as KDE does. At least at the moment.

And don't try with that gnome bullshit. Gnome extensions are buggy as hell.
>>
>>61388014
Yes, every other DE is better (except for Unity).
>>
File: resizing.webm (939KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
resizing.webm
939KB, 854x480px
KDE
>>
GNOME is White man's desktop environment.
>>
>>61388202
>kde user calling something buggy
oh the ironing
>>
XFCE masterrace
>>
>>61388304
Shit that's hot
>>
>>61388389
Implying there are any other races that use loonix
>>
>>61388304
Is this KDE with a different window mananger configured? If so, which one is it?
>>
>>61388304
What did you use for the tiling?
>>
>>61388202
>Gnome extensions are buggy as hell.
I've yet to find an extension that doesn't work properly, but then again, I'm using the latest Gnome version. Maybe issues pop up when using an older Gnome version with an up to date extension?
>>
>>61388304
How did you do this?
( Fellow KDE User )
>>
>>61388738
looks like kwin to me. Smooth animations like that aren't possible with compton and the lightweight window managers don't have that either.
>>61388748
probably a tiling script from leddit.
There is also another one on github, just search with known keywords.
>>
>>61388738
It's the default WM (KWin)

>>61388748
>>61388776
I'm creating a script. It's already perfect for my personal use case but I need to fix a shit ton of bugs before I can really share it with people.
>>
>>61388389
gnome is pure pajeet
>>
>>61388820
Pretty cool man, do you have a github?
>>
>>61388820
I hope you can figure out how to apply changes to the config on the fly instead of restarting or re-enabling everything manually.
>>
>>61388886
https://github.com/Jazqa/kwin-quarter-tiling, don't bully. Besides a shitty attempt at gamedev (Lua), I've never programmed anything. I'm having fun and I'm learning a ton of stuff.
>>
>>61388913
Totally doable. I've been at it for ~9 days without much prior knowledge of anything andI'm progressing quickly. After I've nailed the multi-screen problems I'll get down to it.

It's a buggy mess but if someone wants to try it nonetheless, feel free to post issues and I'll fix them as soon as I can.
>>
>>61388917

Satutko puhumaan suomea?
>>
>>61388952
Yep.
>>
>>61388967

Ootko sie ollu yhteydessä KDE plasma tiimiin? Olis hieno homma jos KDE tuo siun scripti saatas jossain vaiheessa liitettyä natiiviksi osaksi KDE:tä.

Täytyy myöntää että oot kyllä tehny erittäin hienoa työtä tuon scriptin kanssa.
>>
>>61388014
Literally every other DE
>>
>>61388014
KDE, Xfce and LXDE are better.

>>61389025
Sprölölöö.
>>
>>61388389
>White man
>being so poor he can't afford windows or macos
sounds about white!
>>
>>61388389
What terminal?
>>
>>61388475
This I often try out the different DEs but always end up going back to xfce for my main.
>>
LXQt
>>
>>61388014

>be Gnome when Windows 8 comes out
>have golden opportunity to increase desktop share because of fucked up Windows 8 interface
> Cripple interface in the exact same way
>>
>>61388917
Do you intend to publish this script via store.kde.org? I have noticed that most widgets and scripts don't actually update, even though they said they did and I have to wipe them manually and re-add them to get the newest version. It could be good for you to keep that in mind when you do.
>>61388945
That other tiling script didn't survive the porting to plasma5 at all and is basically broken now. The maintainer has no clue how to get that working because his "stable" distro kept him on on an outdated plasma version where it works for years to come. I hope you don't burn out too fast with this.
>>
>>61389025
Ei oo käyny mielessäkään vielä. Aloittelin omaan käyttöön tekemään sitä viime viikon alussa ja jäin koukkuun tuohon koodaamiseen.

Tällä hetkellä vielä niin buginen, etten oikeen kehtaa muualle linkata kun tänne. Monen näytön setuppi kusee vielä aika paljon, kun ei oikeen ole toista näyttöä millä testailla. Aika paljon koodattavaa vielä ennenku kehtaan muualle linkkailla tai miettiä pidemmälle.
>>
>>61389289
I will publish it via store.kde.org when I've fixed most of the bugs. I don't want to publish a script that lacks features or breaks every now and then. I started it last week with barely any programming experience and it's still so early. I love working on it and I am learning so much. I will definitely keep working on it on a daily basis and release it when I think it's """ready""" to be used by """"regular"""" users.
>>
>>61388389
Obese?
>>
>>61389207
>>
File: bls resbond:-DD.png (7KB, 759x551px) Image search: [Google]
bls resbond:-DD.png
7KB, 759x551px
>>61389230
>>
>>61389371
Sorry to be unclear, but I was talking about the "get hot new things-whatsitcalled" integration from kde. It is not updating some components correctly. I think icons and plasma themes work properly but scripts and widgets pretend to update when one clicks update but it doesn't reflect it in the files at all. I'm not sure if it is a packaging problem from the tarball or if the integration part fucks up but it has made managing things from store.kde.org a nightmare. Please take a proper look at this with a version bump or something to see if your script gets affected by it too.

Thanks for your work pal. I will wait patiently for a release.
>>
>>61388693
I live in middle east but I use linux
>>
>>61389582
>>61389230
Tilix. It says it right there in there in the screenfetch.
>>
File: MAXIMUM bls resbond:-DD.png (62KB, 759x551px) Image search: [Google]
MAXIMUM bls resbond:-DD.png
62KB, 759x551px
>>61389669
Thanks Anon. I am retard
>>
>>61389586
Ohh, I know what you mean. I've never tried to download anything through KDE GUI (or store.kde.org) but once I upload my script there, I'll make sure it updates just fine (if it's even possible).

The whole KWin Scripts-section of the store seems to be quite dead. The "freshest" script has been updated five months ago.
>>
>>61388014
what icon theme?
>>
>>61389757
Can you build an updater into the script? It would be cool to circumvent that buggy mess from the store.
>>
>>61390339
Yeah, that's an option. I'll have to look into it once I make the script available. Shouldn't be too difficult.
>>
>>61388304
I'm wondering, are there any other DEs with something like this?

I literally switched to KDE for this. And it works quite fine. I like having this hybrid.
>>
>>61388014
the only thing GNOME excels at is wasted screen space
>>
>>61390520
There's one for GNOME. I've never tried it and I don't know if it's any good but it's way bigger than mine in terms of codebase, contributos and age. The guy behind it seems to be an actual programmer too.

Also, if you use the script post report bugs and post suggestions in the issues-page. Don't forget to do the keybinding (the one excluding windows is important, I'm thinking about making a key for excluding a whole virtual desktop too).
>>
>>61390460
Good luck, boi.
>>
>>61390819
Ohh and the one for GNOME is called shellshape. http://gfxmonk.net/shellshape/
>>
>>61388757
>I've yet to find an extension that doesn't work properly
k, caffein - doesnt work at all breaks powersave, recent items - crashes the shell, there are surely more but i dont into extensions
although nice it's just a bad idea to rely on 3rd party

>>61388202
k lets settle this once and for all
gnome is good desktop
kde is good configurable desktop
>>
>>61390819
Next week (I'm waiting for a new PC build) I'll make some use and I'll be sure to test shit out.

By the way I must say that I like your solution better than shellshape.
>>
I wish proper tiling would be baked into kde.
Even windows gets cool tiling features nowadays and when the next wave of windows refuges comes they will wonder why linux has no proper hybrid tiling window manager.
>>
>>61391015
I disagree. I used Windows 8.1 for a long time and it would tile windows just fine, stack them and all. Didn't have problems with window size.

And nowadays I do the exact same thing on Windows 10 and half of the windows have a different size. So that's worse.
>>
>>61388014
KDE and XFCE
>>
>>61388389
alright you fucking dumb idiot
>>
File: gnomes-big-bro.jpg (969KB, 3360x2100px) Image search: [Google]
gnomes-big-bro.jpg
969KB, 3360x2100px
>>61388014
I prefer the real thing
>>
>>61392246
Man, I wish linux fags would take a bite off of that contrast and apply it to their ugly shit. Fuck this arc/numix meme.
>>
>>61392246
>tabbed Finder

pls tell
>>
>>61393180
...? Finder has been supporting tabs for quite some time.

You know, this makes me think about how many people just completely ignore the features of certain software as long as there is something they dislike. I'm currently in openSUSE, but macOS has a fuckton of features that people don't even know about.
>>
>>61388693
Linux has a shitload of pajeets. Check YouTube. They swarm over anything free and shitty.
>>
>>61393260
That's because macOS has had more features and better usability than modern Windows since fucking Snow Leopard. Every major release they add literally hundreds of small and granular changes and features. Its very hard to keep up with them and you can only really know it by solidly using it for no less than 4 months.
>>
>>61388014
Go on, show us the menu with the FUCKHUEG kiddy toy touchscreen icons.
>>
>>61393180
idk, it just werkz. came with the official build.
also not sure which update rolled it out.
>I'm a first time Mac user and only had my lappy for 2 weeks

I'm like a babby!
>>
>>61393948
Hej, mig Dansk compis.
>>
>>61393180
Cmd+T opens tabs... just like a web browser.
wait till you discover tags...
>>
>>61388014
>Serious question: Is there even a DE that can compete with GNOME? I don't think so, but prove me wrong.- 67 posts and 6 image replies shown.
GNOME is fucking garbage. It's a still-born touch interface that sucks shit as a regular mouse-driven DE.
GNOME devs have, over years, removed all the power-user features.

If you're stuck with Linux, use Cinnamon or Xfce.
>>
>DE
Are you retarded?
>>
>>61389650
I hope you get killed by some Americans you worthless parasite.
>>
>>61390819

I just tried it and it fucks up my workspaces, they just dissapeared.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.