[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you teach me how to solder like a pro? Any tips or things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

Would you teach me how to solder like a pro?

Any tips or things I should look for?
>>
>>61385533
google it you fucking waste of space
>>
>>61385533
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Sb21qbpEQ
>>
>>61385533
You can't solder beyond human limit anon, that's what machines are for
>>
Hold the tip for maximum control.
>>
>>61385533
Get some flux.
Get some leaded solder (something like 60/40).
Heat the pad and pin/wire at the same time before touching the solder to it.
Remove the solder before removing the iron.

You don't really need a special iron to solder well. You can start with even a cheap 20W iron. It's more about how quickly the iron heats up and how much heat the thing you're soldering will absorb and dissipate. If you're not soldering anything like motherboards then low wattages will be fine.
>>
>>61385533
Probabky have better luck with this thread in /diy/
>>
>>61385938
>leaded solder
Enjoy your lead poisoning
>>
>>61385533
>Would you teach me how to solder like a pro?

You are halfway there if you just avoid ROHS lead free solder
>>
>>61386293
>doesn't ventilate
>doesn't wear gloves
>>
>>61386314
And only when you get really good with it,
buy ROHS solder and train with that.
>>
>>61386322
I hate RoHS. Is there an advantage to it other than lead-free?
>>
>>61386293
Never told you to eat it.
>>
>>61386316
You melt the solder, you don't vaporize it. There's no lead in the fumes, but the fumes are generally from the flux in the solder, which is toxic.
>>
>>61386344
Lead is pretty poisonous. Isn't that advantage enough?
>>
>>61386400
>Lead is pretty poisonous
I'm not eating it.
>>
>>61386293
Implying some hobbyist on /g/ will ever solder enough to get more than a couple of soldering iron burns.
>>
>>61386411
You are eating it.
ROHS solder is there from waste disposal reason reducing the dissemination of it in nature and consequently in the food chain.

And again, this applies much more to the industry than to some crappy hobbyist on /g/.
>>
>>61386445
I know the reason why RoHS was put in place, but I recycle my shit. I just wanted to know if it was worth using over leaded.
>>
>>61385533
You generally need a wide array of tips.
Having a single right size can be good enough if you only work with a single component size.
I personally prefer metal pubes over the wet rag to clean the tip, but to each their own.

Oh, and use flux
>>
>>61386445
Solved by disposing of electronics responsibly rather than removing leaded solder.
Considering the amount of other heavy metals and toxins in the electronics anyway.
>>
>>61386483
No there isn't.
It melts at higher temps and it is more brittle.
>>
>>61386544
People don't realize how valuable even old broken electronics are. Literal gold in them.
>>
>>61386557
That's been my impression. Thanks.
>>
-Keep parts and tip clean and shiny. OCD clean.
-Tin parts separately before joining if possible.
-For joining wires, tin first, cut short (1/4" or less) then hold the wires with each hand and touch to a stationary iron.
-If you're having trouble with something, stop and let it cool before trying again.
-A hotter tip can put less heat into parts if you're quick.
-Leaded solder (rosen core) is better, just don't use it on plumbing.

>>>/diy/
>>
>>61386293
>not using leaded solder
Why make work harder?
>>
>>61386742

t. bigclive
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.