[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Network engineering with Roblox

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

Roblox sucks, but it's sad to see a major piece of software suffer when it's only one change away from being great.

The reason it sucks is because only people willing to spend hundreds of dollars on advertising their games can actually get any players; a stark contrast to the original "Build your own game" attitude of the early years.

Roblox will never fix this, because the company doesn't even acknowledge the existence of all but the hundred-or-so most succesful game developers using it.

Fortunately, there's a solution that players can implement, and it's an awesome one.
It's theoretically possible, both in terms of technicalities and popularisation, to have thousands (perhaps even hundreds of thousands) of players to link their Roblox games together via a system of portals.

It's difficult, since there's only one way for games to communicate with each other: By using players to carry data packets.
Players can teleport from game A to game B, if game A is programmed to send them to game B. Game A can attach any data it likes to the player, and this is the only information that game B will receive as the player teleports in. Game B cannot see which game the player came from.

It may be crude, but I think it's enough.
>>
To elaborate on why players linking their games together is great:
There is already a game in Roblox that is made to send you to random games, but it gives you 99% uncustomised junk, and the game you arrive in never has a way to travel to another game from it.
It's popular nevertheless, because people love randomly exploring.

But instead of having a hub that sends you to random dead-end junk games, players could have portals that allow them to target specific games, that contain identically-programmed portals.

This sounds straightforward, but these portals have no means of communication with each other, except by attaching data to players. So, somehow, portals have to discover every other place that has a portal, using nothing but sporadic data packets that choose their own destination.

At the same time, there needs to be a way to prevent games from joining the portal network so that players will come to them, only to remove their portal while remaining a possible place to teleport to; there's a great incentive to do this, because people want players to teleport into their place but not teleport out (disconnecting manually and reconnecting to another game is possible).

An additional challenge is that there is no way to be certain that information about a specific game is true: Game A could be called "Paintball", but game B can say to game C "Hi, I'm game A, and my name is Nazi Yiffing Simulator"; and so when listing game A amongst the teleportation destinations, game C will describe game A as "Nazi Yiffing Simulator".
Sure, game A could encryption so that information from it cannot be spoofed, but there's still the risk that game B could jump the gun and pretend to be game A while distributing encryption keys.

But I imagine these are all challenges that peer-to-peer network programmers have had to deal with before, which is why I'm asking /g/.
>>
>>61383440
>>61383645
great post anon, i read all all of that. where can i subscribe to your blog for more insightful comments?

Totally not saging this btw
>>
why the fuck are you playing a game for 10 year olds and why are you posting about it on /g/
>>
>>61383440
Consider wasting your time developing something other than insecure UDP on top of TCP.
>>
>>61383660
This isn't supposed to be a comment, I'm looking for insight on how to make a peer-to-peer network in a situation where peers cannot control where the data packets go (although they can see where the data packet is going to go, and set the data appropriately).

>>61383679
If this was done, it would cease to be a game for 10 year olds.
Think about it: 10 year olds can't program well, but they can appreciate absolute trash games. So, as long as Roblox is designed such that only a handful of trashy game developers are popular, Roblox will be full of 10 year olds.

However, if a portal system exists that allows anyone to be mildly popular as long as they're competent at making games, then suddenly Roblox is much more fun for teens and adults.
>>
>>61383743
roblox is a virtual lego game, that's why it's for 10 year olds you fucking autist, grow up
>>
>>61383802
It's also the easiest way to make online multiplayer games that are entirely programmable, which is why it appeals to adults too.
And those games can be unique and funny, also appealing to adults who are tired of generic first-person-shooters.

I made a game where players fight each other using weapons that have blast diameters of anywhere between 1 and 100 metres. Terrain-destroying too, and not Roblox's newfangled terrain; terrain that is made out of parts.
It's quite satisfying when you blow up not only your target, but the hill they were hiding behind.
>>
File: IMG_0933.jpg (193KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0933.jpg
193KB, 1200x630px
>>61383900
Thats cool and all anon and I'm definitely not knocking you or anything, but I wouldn't make a habit of talking about that publicly. I definitely see where you're coming from and I think for example mine craft is a game that appeals to anyone even though it's a "kids" game. Many things made for kids have complexity that appeals to older people, but coming from the outsider looking at the surface, I see what looks like a game for young children.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.