[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Windows still not free?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10

Why is Windows still not free?
>>
>>61365476
Because a brave anon hasn't leaked their source code yet.
>>
>>61365476
Libre or gratis?

Libre: NEVER EVER
Gratis: Now
>>
>>61365476
Because it's not open-source.
>>
It is if you're not a pussy or a moralfag.
>>
Why should it be?
>>
>>61365579
Because I should control the software I use, not the other way around.
>>
>>61365588
So the people who made the software should do it for free?
>>
>>61365603
>Apple does this, almost all Linux distros do this
>>
>>61365603
Yes, absolutely. They can get money from endorsements and advertisements or donations or whatever. Hell, operating systems should be a subsidized utility as far as I'm concerned. Computers should come pre-installed in homes with free internet running on open-source platforms as well. I'd pay twice as much taxes directly out of my income to live in that world.
>>
>>61365483
It was leaked a month or so ago, wasn't it?

Nothing major came out of it, atleast not publicly.
>>
>>61365620
>free
>implying they didn't roll the cost of software into the exorbitant price

Also,
>Linux
>worth money to consumers
>>61365621
I'm willing to bet you don't pay taxes.
Hint: if you receive a tax return, you don't pay taxes.
>>
>>61365648
How much do you pay in taxes, kiddo?
>>
>>61365671
I also receive a tax return. But I also don't offer to pay for shit with my fake taxes.
>>
>>61365692
>receives a tax return
Well I don't, slugger. I'm a middle-class full-stack developer and donate a lot of my income to charity to just to keep taxes from kicking me in the ass every year. Maybe when you grow up and get over the NEET life you'll learn how the real world works instead of reading about it in a book.
>>
>>61365707
Is this the /g/ version of gorilla warfare?
>>
>>61365486
Ahem, the correct term is not open source. It is free software, in other words libre-free, as the English language is fucked and free can mean either free beer or freedom.
>>
>>61365476
Because Microsoft hates freedom.
>>
>>61365731
Nothing further to add then?
>>
>>61365755
Isn't it obvious? I don't believe you.
>>
>>61365476
A better question is, why do people still use Windows?
>>
>>61365769
Sorry, I just assumed you had something more to say. Fair enough then.
>>
>>61365707
>and donate a lot of my income to charity to just to keep taxes from kicking me in the ass
unless it's a charity run by yourself and you're putting the donation right back into your pocket, I don't see how this saves you any money
>>
File: 1499456210348.png (19KB, 565x540px) Image search: [Google]
1499456210348.png
19KB, 565x540px
>>61365476
Ask Microsoft.

>>61365740
Software being open source is a prerequisite for it being free as in freedom.
>>
>>61365831
You get a hefty tax reduction if you report sizable donations to NPOs. It costs less than paying the taxes upfront at the start of the year.
>>
>>61365863
>It costs less than paying the taxes
people say this shit, but they also complain about being in a higher tax bracket, even though the brackets are marginal, so I don't trust their interpretation of tax law
>>
>>61365897
I don't have a problem with paying taxes, I just prefer to save a little money and personally invest into local government instead of big government. You can think of the donations as a kind of round-about tax anyway, but like I said, you're investing directly into local services that improve your own community instead of federal programs that have very little to do with me or anyone I live near.
>>
>>61365916
Okay, that's a bit different, so you're not saving any money, you're just having more of a say where it goes
I can respect that.
>>
>>61365789
Because people want an OS that actually works.
Because people want broad hardware and software options.
Because people want to be able to use their computer out of the box without following some autist's cookie crumbs

/g/ would LOVE a car that continually breaks down, was built by 400 different people with different visions for what a car should be. I can see the posts now:

>"my engine suddenly stopped running on gas!"
>">not knowing how to reverse engineer what your engine NOW runs on"

>"why are all my doors different sizes and shapes?"
>"wow if you hate it so much just install libRearPassSideDoor (in development for 6 years, very buggy, consider donating and he might add locks to it)"

>"my Steering wheel doesn't work!"
>"it's your own fault. This is a well known problem on this one forum, in one thread, 50 pages into an unrelated discussion, with no known fix. The guy who engineered your steering column killed himself because he didn't get donations after coming out as trans for surgery and didn't leave any notation. In the meantime, try using LibDifferential. You can't STEER, per se, but you can slow one side of your car's wheels down to approximate it. Cheers!"
>>
File: literally me.jpg (70KB, 800x802px) Image search: [Google]
literally me.jpg
70KB, 800x802px
>>61365476
Gratis: Some computers still let you upgrade for free
Libre: After the revolution
>>
>>61365935
>Because people want an OS that actually works.
Which begs the question: why do people still use Windows?

The real answer is that it's what's installed on prebuilt desktop computers by default.
Normal people don't shop around for operating systems.
>>
>>61365858
Trees are prrequisite for paper. Yet we don't call paper trees. I wonder why.

Too much thunking killing you?
>>
>>61365935
>Because people want an OS that actually works.
Linux works.
>Because people want broad hardware and software options
Linux has more software options than Windows, unless you mean proprietary only.
>Because people want to be able to use their computer out of the box
Linux works. And if you spend any amount of time using a computer, you should actually learn how to use it instead of cowering in fear behind layers and layers of GUIs and other abstractions that only serves to foster gross illiteracy.

You sound like an tech illiterate Windblows user in denial. Not even gonna bother to read your greentext spew.
>>
>>61365988
>muh "all drivers should also be mechanics!"

I thought you fags LOVED reading bullshit documentation, though.
>>
>>61365984
Software that is closed source is always non-free, but software that is open source is not always free either. No trees are paper, but some paper is not made of trees. Don't be retarded.
>>
Windows will become opensource in early 20s.
It will run Win32 with no issue, but there will be no graphic subsystem included.
Screencap this.
>>
>>61366002
>doesn't know how to fix a car, not even the trivial basics
>imposes himself on car mechanics discussion nonetheless
Your opinion is worthless then. You're just another drone driving their vehicle. Why even post? Get back in your car and don't come back.
>>
>>61365988
> Linux works

let me tell you a story, anon:

>2 computers
> both running mint, clean installs
> on one, my VPN software works, but synergy and steam won't
> on the other, the VPN wont work, but steam and Synergy does
I have tried mostly everything you basement cunts have told me to do, and what's left boils down to:
>"works on my system :^)"
>"using (software), do you REALLY NEED that?"
>"y-you're lying! You MUST'VE done something else to break it! SHILL!"

I installed Windows, and all 3 ran perfectly. Full stop.
Linux "works" only if you get extremely lucky, have low expectations, infinite time to troubleshoot, and a willingness to settle for workarounds and consolation prizes.
>>
File: 1748293927301.jpg (12KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
1748293927301.jpg
12KB, 258x245px
>>61366165
>using Mint
>expecting stuff to work
Pick one, and only one.
>>
>>61366244
And there it is! Like clockwork.
>>
>>61365967
As I see it, all operating systems will fuck up once in contact with users. Windows will fuck up and keep running in a diminished state. *nix systems will fuck up and experience catastrophic failure. Mac OS gets around this by not letting users do anything.
>>
>>61366165
>Be me
>Install Fedora
>sudo dnf install steam mpv rxvt-unicode keepass
>Steam boots without any issues
>AMD drivers running without issue
>codecs for mpv automatically install
>Feelsgoodman.jpg

This is my experience with Fedora. Runs like a fucking charm out of the box.
>>
>>61365648
>Hint: if you receive a tax return, you don't pay taxes.

That's not how taxes work, fuck head. If you receive a tax return it means that you over paid your taxes and the government is giving you the amount you overpaid back.
>>
>>61366165
I have Mint and use Steam on a daily basis
>>
>>61365621
>be 23 and make 50k - tax is about 5-6k loss
>yup more taxes for easier lives for all!
>be 29 and make 95k - taxis about 15-16k loss
>fucking hell why is tax so high

I'm sorry but no - pay for your own damn internet
>>
File: paul blart pepe.jpg (10KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
paul blart pepe.jpg
10KB, 200x200px
>>61366264
Install Ubuntu, faggot. It's not our fault you chose a shit distro.
>>
File: communism reasons to live543.png (344KB, 426x960px) Image search: [Google]
communism reasons to live543.png
344KB, 426x960px
>>61365943
>>
>>61365916
that's cool

how do i do this
>>
>>61366505
Well first off, there's a limit to how much you can write off as donations. Depending on your tax bracket they cap you out at around like 1k a year. After that, you can write things off as expenses. I invest into local businesses by buying stock in publicly traded companies I know about where I live. But even then, I don't invest as much as I should because I don't trust the stock market and end up having to pay extra taxes every year. I have friends who invest a lot more who actually do get a tax refund every year of about 4 or 5k.
>>
>>61365935
You are partly true, but you give this idea that Linux doesn't actually work, for the most part, it does.

You'll have to be a bit more picky with your hardware if you want to avoid tinkering, and use backups.

As time goes on things become more and more centralized and as a result it will be more organized (systemd, GNOME now standard on Fedora and Ubuntu, PulseAudio now more common, etc)
>>
>>61365476
profit always make better products
>>
>>61365484
>Gratis
where do you learn my language from ? reeee
>>
File: 1491644186328.png (114KB, 1500x952px) Image search: [Google]
1491644186328.png
114KB, 1500x952px
>>61365751
define freedom
>>
>>61365988
>Linux works.
4u
>>
If it were free then you would be the product. Fuck that. I'd rather pay £100 for a license than be the product. That's also why I'm still on windows 7.
>>
>>61366660
paying means you're paving the way for the company to make better products (that will please you) in the future
>>
>>61366165
Mint is a bit of a clusterfuck.
It's just easy to actually install .debs and repos from ubuntu which makes it noob friendly when you don't know where to get software.
>>
>>61366165
>2 computers
>all 3 ran perfectly

You can't even keep your own story straight. I think you are a psychopath. I can't imagine a person not getting mint to work. I know a 70 year old woman that loves mint and won't use a windows machine.
>>
>>61366165
>be me
>spend a few hours installing arch
>worth it
>everything works well
>nvidia drivers check
>steam check

Give a different distro a shot anon. If you've got the time then install Arch, There are plenty of youtube tutorials on downloading it and in the process you'll be learning how to use Linux it's hitting 2 birds with one stone. I was using Mint previous to arch and it was my first distro, I had ran into many issues with it such as freezing but steam and my VPN worked.
>>
>>61366505
You need to make a lot of money first. The standard deduction is higher for most poorfags.
>>
>>61366781
I was running mint beforehand, I ran into plenty of problems. Just because a 70 Year old woman uses it for browsing the internet doesn't mean people at /g/ Will be doing the exact same.
>>
windows 10 is literally free, you can don't need key anymore. Just know you are giving up your privacy
>>
>>61366426
KEK

If everyone paid 0.1% of their income to internet our internet would be the best in the world.
>>
>>61368206
It's always the people who make shit wages who want to raise taxes. I'd rather pay $70 for my gigabit internet and keep more of my six figure income.
>>
>>61368572
>tfw pay $70 for 10 mbps down, 1 up, 300GB data cap
>>
>>61365486
Then why is osx free?
>>
>>61368707
It's illegal to run it on non-mac hardware. The cost of osx is included in the cost of the hardware.
>>
>>61368206
We pretty much do. Internet is expensive. It just goes into the pockets of internet providers
>>
>>61368741
It's not factored in the price of hardware when it's free forever and it's only been recently free
>>
>>61368781
Lol'd
>>
>>61368805
You're the retarded one. Microsoft doesn't make any money off of selling windows. It's been an issue and why they're pushing for a closed platform market place
>>
>>61368848
Kek'd
>>
>>61365476
"Why shouldn't I get people's hard work for free?!"
-Average Libtard 2017
>>
>>61365476
How else would Microsoft make money?

Also, free Windows means ad-injected Windows. Are you OK with that?
>>
>>61368992
If everyone works for free then, say, if you want food you can just get it for free from the farmer and if the farmer wants some shoes he can get some shoes you made for free. If everyone works for free, everyone just gets what they need for free, and so don't need to be paid.
Of course, different people produce different amounts so I suggest creating a system where 'tokens' are used to arbitrarily designate how productive you are, and then you can spend these 'tokens' on items proportionate to other people's efforts.
And then you can have people who do nothing but give people tokens, and in return get more tokens than they gave. They then use the excess to suppress those that they're giving tokens to and decreasing the tokens they give compared to the tokens they receive.
>>
>>61369020
Given that it's already ad-injected...
>>
>>61369020
Pic related for 2016
Windows 10 is free
>>
>>61365648
>if you receive a tax return, you don't pay taxes.
being this dumb.
>>
>>61369051
>that it's already ad-injected
Only the US get cuked like always.
Feels good to be a european
>>
>>61365988
>Linux works.
Not very well.

>Linux has more software options than Windows, unless you mean proprietary only.
Translation from delusional freetard to English: Linux has more software that is half baked useless crap nobody wants.

>Linux works
"If I keep repeating this lie I might start to believe it's true"

>You sound like an tech illiterate Windblows user in denial.
Linux users are the biggest group in denial at this point in time, even the Mac hipsters have taken their heads out of their ass in recent years and are less annoying then you group of completely retarded mouth breathing idiots. We are at the point where Linux users are so retarded and annoying that 1% of computer users are more of a pain in the ass to society than vegans the world over. Neck yourself, the world would improve if all desktop Linux users killed themselves.
>>
>>61369077
>63% of Apple's revenue is from Iphone
wew
>>
>>61369094
World-wide desu senpai.
>>
>>61365476

Why is that senile, communist, loser still not dead? He's already past average male life expectancy.
>>
>>61365623
It was a journalist lie, it was just 60 megabytes of miscellaneous vendor data, stuff already in Windows Insider
>>
>>61369104
>>63% of Apple's revenue is from Iphone
>wew

>88% of Alphabet's revenue is from ads.
>97% of Facebook's revenue is from ads.

This is even worse.
>>
>>61366165
>Using a bloated distro based on a distro that's based on another distro
It's like you don't even want it to work.
>>
>>61365588
No, why do you think that?
>>
>>61365858
>Software being open source is a prerequisite for it being free as in freedom.
But that's false
>>
>>61366037
Unix.
>>
>>61366781
3 pieces of software, you dipshit. Get some reading comprehension.
>>
>>61365943
>>61366447
>>
>>61365623
>>61369332
There was 100MB of source code in there, the default device drivers that MS give to hardware manufacturers.
>>
>>61365483
If Windows source got leaked, that wouldn't matter, no one could host it legally. And if some anonymous group claims they're compiling "free" builds with the source, then who would trust they're not slipping in malicious code?
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.