[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

User patch unlocks Windows 7 updates on Kaby Lake and Ryzen processors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: 9w5spxvjdA6WQdMpmWTiSd-650-80.jpg (46KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
9w5spxvjdA6WQdMpmWTiSd-650-80.jpg
46KB, 650x433px
http://www.pcgamer.com/user-patch-unlocks-windows-7-and-81-updates-on-kaby-lake-and-ryzen/

A user has created an unofficial patch that bypasses Microsoft's security check when attempting to update a Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 machine with a newer processor installed.

Microsoft had been saying for quite some time that it would stop supporting Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 on machines running an Intel Kaby Lake or AMD Ryzen processor. The company made good on the promise a week ago when it actively started blocking updates. Users of such systems were met with an error message when attempting to fetch security patches through Windows Update.

"Your PC uses a processor that is designed for the latest version of Windows. Because the processor is not supported together with the Windows version you are currently using, your system will miss important security updates. Please select the 'Learn More' link to address the situation," the message reads.

A GitHub user who goes by "Zeffy" uploaded an open-source patch that gives users a workaround. The patch alters a pair of functions he discovered in the file wuaueng.dll that checks for compatibility. They are IsCPUSupported(void) and IsDeviceServiceable(void). The patch alters these two flags so that Windows skips over the entire CPU check.

"This is essentially a giant middle finger to anyone who dare not 'upgrade' to the steaming pile of garbage known as Windows 10. Especially considering the extended support periods for Windows 7 and 8.1 still have a few years left, and will be coming to a close in 2020 and 2024 respectively," Zeffy writes.
>>
>>61364922
Wow, all of the 20 stubborn people with be overjoyed with this news
>>
>>61364985
>being this mad about not getting your daily rupee for shilling shitdows 10 to someone
>>
>>61365022
t.neckbeard
>>
File: 1480757198741.jpg (6KB, 151x233px) Image search: [Google]
1480757198741.jpg
6KB, 151x233px
>>61364985
https://betanews.com/2017/04/10/microsofts-own-figures-show-windows-10-losing-market-share-while-windows-7-is-on-the-rise/
>>
>>61365078
t.pajeet
>>
>>61365078
t.microshit McFaggot Nigger Lover
>>
>>61365230
enjoy your no security patches.

this is why microsoft needs to force updates because of stupid fucks like this. stupid paranoid schizos who feel the need to not update their system, turn updates off or revert to older operating systems because "m-muh botnet". so when more ransomware comes out they can have their machines hacked into while microsoft takes the brunt of the blame because tinfoil hat-wearing autists don't want to update.

if you care that much about privacy, throw away your smartphone and just use linux with no internet connection and kill yourself. you're holding everyone else back and you've ruined everyone else's ability to be given creative freedom because you're too stupid to just update your system.
>>
>>61364922
Can you fuck off, this is old news you plebian
>>
>>61365782
>enjoy your no security patches.
Did you even read the OP?
>>
Windows 7 is for autists
>>
>>61365806
it's 2017, what are you going to do after 2020 continue to count on third party hacks?

enjoy putting your system at even greater risk.

>"b-but it's open source!"
>>
>>61365860
Windows XP master OS
>>
>>61365833
Nah, some people like it and the botnets are real.
>>
This has been known for a while.
>>
>>61365860
Disconnect from the internet.
Use Linux.
Buy a fucking Mac because that somehow seems more appealing than using W10.

Lots of options.
>>
>>61365782
While people who refuse to update software and then whine when they get malware are retarded, in this case Microsoft is literally refusing people security updates for no reason. W7 is supported until 2020 and 8.1 until 2024. It's preposterous that someone with a supported OS is denied security updates just because they use new hardware. While Ryzen is a completely new architecture, Kaby Lake is literally just Skylake, there's no reason it wouldn't work on W7.
>>
>>61365872
Windows 7 is a botnet, the patcher even admits it.. If you don't want people spying on you you have to go with Windows XP, it's why so many governments still use it, they don't want Microsoft spying on them for the US government.
>>
>>61365986
you can't expect windows to support windows 7 forever.

canonical does the same thing.

companies don't want to waste time and resources worrying about older software. it's a shady way to get people to use windows 10, but it's inevitable regardless.

i hated windows 7 when i first started using it. i missed xp, after a year i got used to it and enjoyed it. it was a lot more stable. i grew to enjoy it's features. windows 10 after a year of using it is a lot snappier and responsive than windows 7 and i don't have to prep my ssd like i had to with windows 7.
>>
>>61366022
>you can't expect windows to support windows 7 forever.
I don't expect Microsoft to support Windows 7 forever. I expect them to support it until 2020. Microsoft is going back n their end of the deal. And it's for artificial reasons, as the patch proves there's no reason the updates don't work on new CPU's.
>>
>>61366066
most people upgrade their hardware for specific reasons.

most people upgrade every 3-5 years and when they upgrade their cpus they tend to upgrade their gpus as well. if you want to use the directx 11 meme, you have to use windows 10.

once again i don't agree with it, but that's the logic behind it. normies who upgraded to skylake and kabylake probably don't care about privacy to begin with.
>>
>>61366122
You keep missing the point. It's not about DX12 or other various feature updates. It's about SECURITY UPDATES. Windows 7 gets updates until 2020, 8.1 gets them until 2024. Yet Microsoft is actively BLOCKING security updates for non-technical reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if this was illegal, unfortunately suing Microsoft is an undertaking in itself.
>>
>>61365860
So, just install the malware to be sure the malware won't be installed?
Also if we keep using win7, microsoft may release a better OS later.

It worked very well with ME and Vista.
>>
>>61366169
It's blatant they're doing this to propel their Win10 installs and it buggers me silly that they aren't holding up their end of the deal (8.1 is still on mainstream support).

What's dumber than that policy is their implementation. Take last month's security roll up update as an example:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4022719/windows-7-update-kb4022719
Specifically
Additional Information
Installation steps for systems using AMD Carrizo DDR4 processor:

Download KB4022719 from Microsoft update catalog.
Extract the CAB file from the downloaded .msu file from step 1. Note the path where you stored the CAB file for use in step 3.

Run the DISM /Online /Add-Package command to install the update: DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath: CAB file path from step 2.

That Carrizo was "mistakenly" added to the cpu blacklist and this is microsoft's "workaround" to the problem.
I really wish this can be grounds for complaint that windows update doesn't work for people that are well within support.
>>
>>61364922
Didnt know about it,actually really cool.
Thanks op
>>
File: sooyoung-incheon-25.jpg (161KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
sooyoung-incheon-25.jpg
161KB, 1000x1500px
>>61365782
>>61365986
>>61366022
Kind of interesting how ya'all make it sound like it's just a matter of clicking some button and magically your Windows 7 becomes Windows 10.

My brother uses this Windows garbage and he's still on Windows 7. He's tried Windows 10 and he really dislikes it. Why would he pay $100+ to get a newer OS that, in his opinion, is worse than the one he has now and is comfortable with?

If we were talking about someone using Fedora 23 now that Fedora 26 is out then that would be slightly different, updates are free and if you don't like the default GNOME desktop then you can easily switch to XFCE4 or MATE or something else or just download a Ubuntu ISO.

Both Windows 7 and Windows 10 are commercial products. If you bought 7 then it's just rude to deny you updates for it just because you've bought new hardware. I would not be surprised if the EU fines Microsoft over this, the fascist union consists of a lot of government members who are using older versions of Windows and they do love to fine Microsoft and other US-based corporations.
>>
File: 400.jpg (26KB, 1108x400px) Image search: [Google]
400.jpg
26KB, 1108x400px
>>61366839
Nigga you can still literally get windows 10 for free
>>
>>61364922
>inb4 people use the patch and start getting complaining about bluescreens
>>
>capitalism
>>
installed linux works perfectly with my ryzen
fuck micropajeetshit
>>
>>61364922
>letting people install ransomware with no effort at all just to use a new cpu
>>
>>61364985
>200M who want to use "authorized" Windows 8.1 or Windows 7

FTFY
>>
>>61365782
because microcock had to do the same shit to get people to upgrade to xp, then to vista, then to 7, then to 8 right? oh wait... nah, people just did it on their own if they wanted to because ms kept putting out a better os each time (not counting 8 of course (vista was good if you had the specs)). really makes you think when a company does everything short of send mercs with ties and pocket protectors to your door to hold you down and forcibly install win 10 and break any of your old install discs
>>
I will never understand how wincucks tolerate being treated like this. It's almost like Microsoft can humiliate you in every way and just sit there and take it.
>>
>>61368580
>because microcock had to do the same shit to get people to upgrade to xp,

That's false thou, Microshaft won't let me authenticate my original copy of XP because reasons. This is literally illegal.
>>
>>61368594
>Microsoft does something bad
>use technology to subvert it
>"LOL LOOK AT THESE KEKS"

I bet you think we paid for Windows too.
>>
>>61365782
Security patches are meaningless for home use. You have to actively try to get a virus to be infected.
Stop parroting whatever bullshit microsoft tries to push on gullible kindless consumers like you.
>>
>>61365782
> 10 rupees have been deposited in your loo
>>
>>61364985
am i on gawker?
>>
http://wccftech.com/steam-hardware-survey-2017-nvidia-amd-intel-gpu-cpu/
>Similarly, DirectX 12 based systems are yet again on a rise as Windows 10 gained a 1.25% share in June after a slight fall in May 2017. The total share is now at 52.31% while Windows 7 is at 33.3% (and falling).
>>
>>61365230
>>61369001
>>
>>61368594
>I will never understand how wincucks tolerate being treated like this. It's almost like Microsoft can humiliate you in every way and just sit there and take it.
The problem is commercial developers, almost no one actually likes windows but there's critical programs for many tasks where there's no linux port or alternative competitor.

Dealing with these developers always goes like this: If you haven't already bought it they will just claim no one will buy it because of linux, if many users have bought it already but demand linux ports they just ignore them since they already have their money.
>>
>>61369045
lel youre an idiot. there are only 4 people who hate windows:
>liberal ladyboy/coalburning communistic macfags living off of daddies money
>linuxfags who think theyre hackers because they need to fix their os with the command line 3 times a day
>old grandmas who just dont know how the devil to work these infernal computer boxes
>and like 19 people who actually have a legitimate complaint on why they dont like windows and use mac or linux
literally everyone else has no problem with windows, because if they did it wouldnt have majority market share for the past forever
>but its like phone carriers where people dont really have a choice
apple is still making hardware, and linux is still free. people have always had a choice.
>but they dont because software
well, if they really hated windows that much and cared enough they would demand mac and linux builds, but they dont and dont, so devs continue to go where the money is (and it aint in 7% and 5%)
>>
>>61369175
What do you mean by that?

This fix is for people who like Windows.
>>
>>61364922
b-but muh forced obsolescence!
The same thing happened when DX10 was Win7 only.
>>
>>61365078
>2017
>not a ne/g/beard
>>
>>61368760
/thread

Backup all your shit and just reinstall the OS again. It's not rocket science and still less of a hassle than using win10
>>
>>61369001
So you're saying once Vulkan replaces dx windows will die
>>
>>61365230
Oops sorry, installed Windows 7 on an old laptop
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.