[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Networking bullshittery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 173.png (1MB, 1072x1448px) Image search: [Google]
173.png
1MB, 1072x1448px
So can someone a little more educated on networking clue me in on what the fuck is happening here?

I recently upgraded to a 150mbps down / 20mbps up line with shaw cable. They gave me possibly the shittiest modem/router in existence, a Hitron CGNM-2250. I had them put it in bridge mode so I could use my own router - Netgear N600 WNDR3700 - for all the LAN connections and wifi (My router has significantly better wifi coverage).

Now, I've used my N600 for a good 3-5 years with no issue before this.

As soon as we got the Hitron setup and the Shaw guy was out the door, I had immediate network connectivity issues, specifically: Every 10-30 seconds any computer connected via LAN (but not wifi) would disconnect, re-identify the network, and then eventually reconnect.

All computers would do this through the entire day, every day, hundreds of re-connections, making doing anything but browsing the internet effectively impossible.

Today, I tried setting one of the computer's NIC to 100mbps (Or is it MBps?) full duplex instead of auto-negotiation, and it 100% fixed the problem.

Why did that actually work? The hell is wrong with my network setup?
>>
>>61320713
i wonder what would happen if you replaced the hitron with, oh, i don't know, a bowl of mashed potatoes. or some other router, configured the same way as the hitron. imagine if your problems vanished!
>>
that's odd. I feel like the duplex mode would not cause connection issues like that. typically auto-negotiate functions just fine. In fact, for a standard home connection there really isn't any reason to ever change it.
>>
It's a router issue most probably.

Just get some decent gear instead like an Edgerouter X router and a Unify AP AC Lite for example.

Just stop using consumer crap.
>>
After you changed to full duplex the issue was resolved for all devices connected via LAN? Or was it just fixed for that one computer?
>>
>>61320713
pick one device to troubleshoot. replace the network cable with known good cat6, check the ethernet ports on your router and device for bent pins, set a static ip, leave a continuous ping running to the router and check for drops, test with another router if you have one or backup the config then reset and firmware on your router
>>
>>61320763
It's weird as hell though. I used the router just fine for years - no issues!

Change to new chinese crap modem; suddenly issues!

>>61320743
Shaw doesn't want to acknowledge there is any problem with their modem. If you look up reviews for the Hitron online it's abundantly clear the modem is complete shit, but Shaw refuses to replace them.

desu if I hadn't fixed the problem by changing duplex mode and magically getting a stable connection as a result I'd have probably canceled my service with them, even eating the cancellation fee. An internet connection that breaks every 30 seconds is 100% fucking useless.
>>
Your shitty modem can't handle your blazing 150mbps.
When it gets below 100, your modem works.
>>
>>61320848
It's probably not the modem which is causing you problems since you can fix the issue on the router.
It could be that your router has an issue with the new speed you're getting.
Anyway consumer crap is consumer crap. Just get some cheap business gear like I suggested and you'll never have a dumb network issue on your side unless you mess it up yourself.
>>
>>61320909
>>61320854
>>61320763
I'll spend some time today looking for new routers; I wouldn't mind replacing the one I have at the moment anyways.
>>
>>61320713
sauce on that pic?
>>
>>61320961
You should look at Ubiquiti, Mikrotik and pfSense.
Cisco and some other Enterprise gear is also great but probably too expensive.
The Edgerouter X and Unifi Ap Ac Lite combo I suggested is a good combo since it's under $150 though there are more options available. Just stop using consumer crap.
>>
Hijacking the Thread to ask my own questions:

How does subnetting work? I now there are 3 (major) IP classes. Does a subnet get called with the net-id and then forwards the connection to the appriopriate subnet or does every network has a public subnet-mask?

So basically how do other computers know how to communicate with you if you use a subnet mask different from the ip-classes.
>>
File: 47.png (1MB, 1072x1448px) Image search: [Google]
47.png
1MB, 1072x1448px
>>61321000
dunno, I made it to put on my kindle, don't know where the original image is.
>>
File: Untitled.png (38KB, 706x277px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
38KB, 706x277px
>>61321053
I'm checking a few out. I'm in canuckistan though, so prices aren't as good as you get in the states.
>>
>>61321254
I'm also not from the States though I generally post their prices. However if it's more expensive in you're country the alternatives are too so it's probably a good deal.

>>61321067
If the subnet is too small it won't recognize ip's outside the subnetmask and if it's bigger it will simply recognize the ip.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.