[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /g/, GUI pro user here. Don't scoff, you need people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

Hi /g/, GUI pro user here. Don't scoff, you need people like me. We're the ones that would sell your mom that Ubuntu laptop someday. And your mom needs to buy it for your dream to come true.

Speaking of that. Here's the problem with Linux on the desktop. See this screenshot? It's beautiful! Comfy, whatever. But it's a screenshot.

You try using this for an extended amount of time. It's not polished, and it eats away at you. The problem is not having shiny icons and pretty colors. The problem is those little bits of UI subtlety that are developed over decades on other operating systems. This never happened on Linux as every DE reinvents itself every few years.

It's always the little things.

Take workspaces for example. You want to drag a window or a file to a different workspace. How do you do that? On a Mac (and Openbox for that matter) I can hold the item with my mouse while switching to another workspace. Intuitive. Doesn't work in GNOME! Why?

Next, how about just downloading something? Download file. Click on file. What happens? I'm still looking at my browser. If I'm lucky, I get a "XYZ is ready" notification. Cause and effect - click on file, see file.

Or imagine navigating a tree without a mouse. What key do you press to expand a tree? Right arrow. Doesn't work in any GNOME app I tried! Why?

It's especially bothersome with me because with Openbox I can at least partially wrestle the GUI into submission through sheer willpower and a lot of shell scripting, but with GNOME it's essentially "take this shit or get out." Same with Elementary.

Are sane defaults really that hard? GNOME and EOS devs are trying to be Apple, but they do not know what made Apple great. All that spiel about "thinking different" and "magical experiences" and "just working" Is not just a joke. It's rooted in fucking understanding that good design is not just pretty icons, but also good experience while using the thing.
>>
>>61316229
>not your personal tech support
>>
>>61316264
You won't be able to fix this anyway.
>>
I blame open source software. Proprietary is simply better thanks to the profit motive.
>>
File: Autism.jpg (77KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Autism.jpg
77KB, 1280x720px
>>61316229
>gnome is bad
No shit. I just tested it and all the things you complained about work just fine in kde.
>>
>>61316229
gnome is good.
>>
>>61316229
>Gnome is shit
Woah there Sherlock
>>
>>61316229
Linux is for power users. Normies can't hang with the terminal and self-exile themselves to the infinite botnet.
>>
Thinking Linux is bad because you tested one DE and you didnt't like it.

Try CDE ;^)
>>
>>61316229
>I can hold the item with my mouse while switching to another workspace. Intuitive. Doesn't work in GNOME! Why?

I do get your point about being intuitive and all. Your example is probably even a good one. But let's be careful here.
You also metion:
>navigating a tree without a mouse. What key do you press to expand a tree?

An emacs or notepad++ user might say :q! is not very intuitive, but the vim user will point out that neither is C-x C-c or Alt-F4.

My point is that intuitive for you is not the same as everyone else. You need to rethink what the goals actually are.
Should _everything_ be GUI?
An 'x' button will close anything.

There are DE's or even entire distros focused on being drop in replacements with mostly similar keybinds and experiences for switchers, for the most part. But someone learning from scratch? Someone actually willing to reinvest time to learning new and more powerful tools? Linux is mostly fine.
>>
Tiling wms are the most intuitive thing desu, they requier me to memorize a single key stroke instead of an entire video game to get shit done. Unfortunately they will die because people want to make their DE accessible to people that can't read or type or function at all in society.
>>
so fucking true
kind of grew up just using windows, and as much as I love Linux no de is anywhere close to as nice as windows, and windows isn't even that great. we still don't even have a tabbed file manager
>>
>>61316229
WONTFIX
GNOME DOESN'T NEED FEATURES. THEY GET IN THE WAY OF OUR BRAND.
>>
>>61316455
I think its ok. I think it has reached the point where we can start offering it to normies as an alternative. Just sell it on the security basis. For a casual user this software is fine. Maybe not for all but I think for many just need help taking the first steps to freedom.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.